Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My first two cars were a Chevy Chevette and then a Pontiac Sunbird. I will NEVER buy a GM again! The most horrible cars I've owned by far. I'm sure quality is better since the late 80s, but I won't risk it.
Every car company has put out putrid piles of crap, including brands like Ferrari, Rolls Royce, etc. Times and technology change, and the GM of the 80s is FAAAAAAAAAAR better today than it was back then, its not even a comparison really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 04:07 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Every car company has put out putrid piles of crap, including brands like Ferrari, Rolls Royce, etc. Times and technology change, and the GM of the 80s is FAAAAAAAAAAR better today than it was back then, its not even a comparison really.
Yeah, but in many categories their competition is better. GM Trucks, Sporty cars, Full Size SUVs, you know classic Big 3 stuff is top of the class, but their mainstream sedans and crossovers leave much to be desired.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Saturn. The earlier SL and LS models were not bad. I had an 99 SL-2 we loved that was very easy to work on and reliable. BUT I now have a later model Ion and can only think, is this the same brand? Troublesome. Especially the recalls and the passive locking system which the company SHOULD have recalled but never did. I had to bypass it if I wanted my car to start in the winter....
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Saturn. And by extension all GM products.
Here is a partial list of problems encountered in the brief period we owned the car, which we purchased new at the height of their popularity and reputation in the mid-nineties:
Went through two alternators every single year of the 5 years we owned the car. Electric window motors and regulators kept going up, leaving windows always partially open/closed. None of the dealers in town could find any reasons for these electrical problems, and after the first 2-3 replacements the warranty stopped paying for them.
Front license plates are required here in MD, and our model wasn't supplied with a holder/bracket for one of them-took a factory part and installation to supply, paid for out of our pocket.
Went through several thermostats, ruptured radiator hoses, two water pumps, and finally a blown radiator that had just disintegrated.
Fuel pump replaced. Timing chain (or belt, can't remember which) fell apart after 20k miles.
And on, and on and on. Soon as it was paid for, we traded it in while it was running (briefly!). I pity the poor fool...
People raved about the Saturn line while they were in production. Why? It was the biggest POS we ever owned-never again. Thank God they stopped making these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Ever think you got a lemon? I had 2 very trouble free Saturns. The only gripe I had with the first was that it was noisy, but it was the plastic body and the least expensive model. It was an S1 wagon and regularly got 40 mpg. I drove it for 140k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Current owner of an Aura, bought new in 08. Have experienced NONE of the problems you cite.Nothing. This is why I say you can't go by lists or internet postings.
I bought 2 Saturn coupes--1 brand new in '92, and a used '02 in '05. The alternators were a known repair/wear issue in the '92. I sold that to my sister in April '08 and she still drives it. My '02 was totaled in 2007. I loved my Saturns.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 PM

522 posts, read 721,314 times
I find it funny that Hyndai, Suzuki and Kia isn't on the list.
Then again, they're get roped into trading for the newer model instead of being able to count on reliability..

As a former Scion owner, I'd say this isn't necessarily true.
i'd buy a tC or an FR-S if I could fit all the stuff I need to lug with me into them.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Maybe get out more? Ford sells the most popular car in the U.S. A lot of people are buying it again and again.

Ford F-150 Will Remain the Most Popular Car in 2014 - Ford (NYSE:F) - 24/7 Wall St.
While Fords are great cars, I never liked the designs. I felt like I was crawling into and out of a hole. The deep wells tripped me up all the time (I am clumsy), and nothing was ever in a handy place.

But I love Toyotas.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My first two cars were a Chevy Chevette and then a Pontiac Sunbird. I will NEVER buy a GM again! The most horrible cars I've owned by far. I'm sure quality is better since the late 80s, but I won't risk it.
First car was a 1979 Chevette, new. Within 6 months the door protector strip started falling off. As I looked at other Chevettes I noticed the same thing. Yeah, lots of cheap stuff on the Chevette.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Funny story... I ALMOST sold my Chrys Le Baron Convertible to a black couple...at the last
min they couldn't get the $$ up. The very next day the radiator blew bad!!
My radiator friend had several in stock bec he said they blow so often.
Can u imagine if that couple had bought it?
They would have thought I knew and it was a set up. Whew! Close call.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Actually, they lowered the price for 2014 because they were building them cheaper now. They turn a profit on every one of them, and have sold over 65,000 total.

The rumor you heard was from an EARLY report that amortized the total cost of the program over a mere 6000 cars. (the amount that had been made at the time of the article). That would be like saying the first few 2015 Ford F100s showed a 2.5 billion dollar loss. You can't amortize the program like that.
I'm glad the gamble paid off then.. sales started off extremely slowly for the Volt and it didn't seem like a sure thing they would recoup their investment. They definitely built it to a standard that justifies its price point and then some.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:37 AM

166 posts, read 321,702 times
I have been shopping for a while now. I have been looking at SUV's.

I reaaallly tried to like the Fords and Chevy's. For the price point...they are NUTS!!

I have narrowed it down to the 4runner and MB GLK.

When it boils down to it, the fit...finish and service of the GLK wins hands down!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I would have added Volvo as the one I had was a PITA. Never had a car that left me stranded as many times as that one did.
We have two and they are GREAT cars. Probably drive them for 500K miles. Not saying there could be a lemon out there, but not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive