Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:59 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,005,634 times

Advertisements

Hey Nash, what bands are playing at that concert? What kind of music are they playing? I know it's not classical music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 03:18 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,005,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
My insurance agent and attorney advised me that even up to age 25 you may have some (kid) liability responsibilities in our state.... thus the mega million umbrella stays in place (much to the Christmas delight of agent)

They were forced to get their own vehicles, titled in their name and on their own policies at 18, but the risk lives on. (not that I'm free from risk myself...)
I was also thinking that when I was 19, if I was trying to pull the same stunt as Nash's nephew is, my parents would have been wicked pissed at me for asking to borrow an expensive new SUV from an uncle for a weekend and driving it 630 miles, and not clearing my request with them first. More of a parent-child sort of thing going on here.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
If you know he drives carelessly and fast, why would you then borrow it to him and risk it. Perhaps the solution is to drive him and his friends there. Sure, that's a big sacrifice of time on your part, but him and his friends can get there and you have the peace of mind to know your vehicle will be in one piece. Otherwise, my answer would be a definite NO.
Another idea- find out if there is a licensed FEMALE among this group of friends and let HER drive.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Hey Nash, what bands are playing at that concert? What kind of music are they playing? I know it's not classical music.
Probably Korn or some other stuff like that ya know!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 PM

355 posts, read 2,697,440 times
Smile We have got a solution!!!!!

Quote:
Just tell him that his idea was totally uncool. Especially since his mom had no idea that he was going to the concert AND wanting to borrow your car. This shouldn't be a difficult talk to have with your nephew. It's about both his responsibilities and accountability. Borrowing your new SUV is living beyond his means. It's also not for him to borrow. Plus, this sort of thing which could have serious repercussions has to be run by his parents first since he is only 19 years old. After 21 years of age, that's a different matter.
I just called my nephew and told him that unfortunately I cannot allow him to drive my suv out of town for these four reasons.

1. He is a young driver that is inexperienced in such a large vehicle, which would make him much more vulnerable to get into an accident.

2. I cannot afford to have my suv totaled, especially because it is on a lease and has to be returned in the same condition it left the dealer.

3. He has not gotten to the age where he is responsible enough to know how to treat a nice vehicle with respect.

4. He is an adult and should be able to come up with his own solution to his problems rather than realing on me.

He responded to these reasons well and said he understood. One of his freinds parents has agreed to drive him and his freinds in her GMC Yukon to the concert and back, therefore, they do now have a way to get to the concert without risking someones vehicle or possibly risking someones life. So, it works out in favor of everyone at the end.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:30 PM

240 posts, read 466,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Hi, my nephew has just asked me if he can take my new 2008 Nissan Armada LE out of town to Memphis with his freinds for a weekend so that he and his freinds can go and see a concert. He has five freinds and they would all like to go in one car. My nephew is 19, so he is legally able to drive. I am a little circumspect about letting him drive my SUV, considering that I have seen him and his freinds and they are all very wild. I hate to say no to family, but you can't blame me. If he goes out and totals this car, I would be in serious trouble. What should I do? Let him and his freinds drive my vehicle for the weekend or not? He has promised me that he would be careful, but I have seen him drive and he drives carelessly and very fast. Again, what should I do?
Confused as to why you need to ask what to do?

Last edited by bingo08; 12-24-2007 at 10:34 PM..

Old 12-24-2007, 09:31 PM

355 posts, read 2,697,440 times
Quote:
It is some kind of rock band knowing my nephew. LOL. ROCK ON!!!!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 PM

240 posts, read 466,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
I just called my nephew and told him that unfortunately I cannot allow him to drive my suv out of town for these four reasons.

1. He is a young driver that is inexperienced in such a large vehicle, which would make him much more vulnerable to get into an accident.

2. I cannot afford to have my suv totaled, especially because it is on a lease and has to be returned in the same condition it left the dealer.

3. He has not gotten to the age where he is responsible enough to know how to treat a nice vehicle with respect.

4. He is an adult and should be able to come up with his own solution to his problems rather than realing on me.

He responded to these reasons well and said he understood. One of his freinds parents has agreed to drive him and his freinds in her GMC Yukon to the concert and back, therefore, they do now have a way to get to the concert without risking someones vehicle or possibly risking someones life. So, it works out in favor of everyone at the end.
I would have said "I'm not comfortable with it " end of story. I don't need to give an explanation.

The vehicle is in your name.
God forbid something happened, you'd have to live with it, also you would get the pants sued off you!
Glad you said no.

Last edited by bingo08; 12-24-2007 at 10:41 PM..

Old 12-24-2007, 10:07 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times
WOW, I think I would have burst out with "Are you smokin crack?" before I had a chance to gain control of myself if a teenager asked me that kind of question.

I don't let ANYONE drive my car. If your responsible enough, have the money to pay for damage should you cause it, then you have your own car to drive so you don't need to borrow mine.

My favorite line about teenagers "how do you know a teenager is lying, their lips are moving". Psychologists say that teenagers don't in fact have their brains fully developed, the LAST thing I would do is allow them to borrow my second most valuable asset, the first being my house.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,150,561 times
What concert are they going to see?

Yeah, they should take the bus or a train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive