U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:08 PM

355 posts, read 1,791,516 times
Question Should I allow a teen to drive my SUV?

Hi, my nephew has just asked me if he can take my new 2008 Nissan Armada LE out of town to Memphis with his freinds for a weekend so that he and his freinds can go and see a concert. He has five freinds and they would all like to go in one car. My nephew is 19, so he is legally able to drive. I am a little circumspect about letting him drive my SUV, considering that I have seen him and his freinds and they are all very wild. I hate to say no to family, but you can't blame me. If he goes out and totals this car, I would be in serious trouble. What should I do? Let him and his freinds drive my vehicle for the weekend or not? He has promised me that he would be careful, but I have seen him drive and he drives carelessly and very fast. Again, what should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 11:12 PM

1,652 posts, read 4,833,037 times
Well, I don't know if this will make you feel any better about it, but my first car when I was 16 was a Toyota 4Runner and I never put a scratch on it. Then again, I wasn't "wild."

Old 12-23-2007, 11:14 PM
miu

12,992 posts, read 21,778,067 times
No. Don't let him borrow it. Isn't this leased? The condition it get returned in is as important as the mileage on the odometer. Do you have gap insurance on it?

What kind of car is he used to driving? What is his experience with SUV's?

Anyway NO is my answer on that one and I would have no problems saying no to any member of my family in a situation like this. Have your nephew's parents rent him a SUV if it's that necessary.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:21 PM

326 posts, read 860,652 times
Think you would be making BIG mistake. 19 year old + 5 friends + new flashy suv = possible showing off = accident/ incident. If you feel bad, tell him it's going in the shop for recall.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:23 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
He has promised me that he would be careful, but I have seen him drive and he drives carelessly and very fast.
A teenager's promise means nothing. Plus he is not even your son to discipline. And does he have any money in the bank to pay for any damages incurred?

According to mapquest, it's 215 miles each way. A total of six and a half hours on the road. This is not some short excursion. Definitely a big NO and I will be really aggravated if you do lend him your new SUV for his dream weekend. And out of the six of them, there is probably a good reason why you are their only hope for driving a nice large vehicle to their concert. Please don't lend your SUV to them. And it's not a good precedent to start. Never lend your SUV to this nephew. Cherish your vehicle and don't lend it out to anyone. If you feel you have to lend it out on a short errand, charge them a fee. Don't encourage the borrowing of it.

So do you have gap insurance on the SUV? Plus if something does happen to the car, your insurance rates will go up afterwards.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:27 PM

2,522 posts, read 288,398 times
I would not lend out my car to a 19-year-old who drives "carelessly and very fast." Especially not to drive 215 miles to a concert.

Concerts are basically big parties -- a place to drink and do drugs.

Why would you even consider letting him use the car? It's your car. You're name is on the loan. You pay for the insurance. This is not your problem. All you have to say is, "No, I'm not comfortable lending you my car."

Greenie

Old 12-23-2007, 11:33 PM

355 posts, read 1,791,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Don't let him borrow it. Isn't this leased? The condition it get returned in is as important as the mileage on the odometer. Do you have gap insurance on it?

What kind of car is he used to driving? What is his experience with SUV's?

Anyway NO is my answer on that one and I would have no problems saying no to any member of my family in a situation like this. Have your nephew's parents rent him a SUV if it's that necessary.
Yes, this vehicle is leased. He drives a 2003 Ford Taurus SES and has driven his mom's Trailblazer just a few times and drove my brother's 2006 Nissan Murano SL to go wash it at the car wash and bring it back so that my bro would give him 10 dollars to go to the movies and that is about it.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:39 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Yes, this vehicle is leased. He drives a 2003 Ford Taurus SES and has driven his mom's Trailblazer just a few times and drove my brother's 2006 Nissan Murano SL to go wash it at the car wash and bring it back so that my bro would give him 10 dollars to go to the movies and that is about it.
Why doesn't he borrow his mom's Trailblazer or the Murano? Is your brother his father? Why your brand new truck? lol

Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 PM

2,141 posts, read 5,297,234 times
Say no. Just because he's family doesn't make you obliged. Your concerns are real. Let him and his friends figure out another way to get there. Maybe the Greyhound bus? Or perhaps they'll have to forgo going to the concert at all. Don't beat yourself up about this. Just say no.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:08 AM
miu

Those six teens bought their tickets before asking to borrow your SUV. You are not obligated to help them get to the concert in one vehicle. If none of their six pairs of parents are stepping up to the plate to lend them a vehicle, it certainly is not your job to solve their transportation problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive