Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I don't tailgate, speed, or weave all over, and on the whole I'm a pretty conservative driver.
I always speed however I don't drive recklessly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
I know this might sound stupid but is there any advice of how to keep a driving record clean ?
It's really not all that hard, it's been a good 15 years since I've had any kind of ticket. If you don't speed too much and obey the traffic laws, chances are you will not have an issue. Most often it's only foolish people that get tickets, talking on the cell phone, texting while driving, speeding excessively, aggressive driving, etc.

Most accidents can be avoided if your paying attention and drive defensively. The other day some girl cut me off on the Parkway, but I was paying attention and was able to brake and shift out of her way enough not to hit her.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
... the inner kid gets the best of me at times.
Then maybe you shouldn't take a job that's based on driving ...

Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
If you're not a minority it's very, very very easy. Just don't do stupid things behind the wheel. That includes speeding, not using a signal, driving with a burnt out headlight, etc etc etc. I'm amazed that this question even has to be asked. If you are a minority it's certainly harder.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:03 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
It can be kinda hard. I just got done with 3 hours worth of traffic court today because I apparently made a u-turn that crossed a traffic control device. People make that u-turn into my neighborhood constantly, and there are arrows in the center turning lane pointing directly into the spot I turned at. I had no idea it was illegal. Still got pulled and ticketed. I also didn't have my license on me at the time, I left it at the house. Oops. I also got pulled in February for expired registration. Straight up forgot. Don't think about my license plate too often lol. It can be tough.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
I've been driving since 1980 and have a clean record. My grandmother got her first ticket when she was about 70.

My twenty-something niece gets pulled over all the time. I've no idea why.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,186 times
Two words.... DRIVE DEFENSIVELY.

Like others have said, I also tend to go a little more than the speed limit if it feels safe to do. I know the rules of the road and I am always paying attention to the road while constantly checking the view in all my mirrors. The last ticket and 2nd ticket I ever got was over 20 years ago.

I am always, almost subconsciously, watching other drivers and it is second nature for me now to run several scenarios through my mind about what another driver might do in the next minute and what my response could be. I also always signal and double and triple check all my mirrors and physically turn to look when I am making a lane change. That is a defensive driver. It keeps me and all my loved ones in the vehicle safer. Nothing can prepare you for an actual accident but preventative measures go a long way.

Two of my sons are what I call offensive drivers. They were constantly getting tickets when they were young and single. I told them they should get a custom bumper sticker that said... "Hit me, I'm used to it! My insurance premium is already at its MAX!" They are older now and one has a family so they are more careful now.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
It can be kinda hard. I just got done with 3 hours worth of traffic court today because I apparently made a u-turn that crossed a traffic control device. People make that u-turn into my neighborhood constantly, and there are arrows in the center turning lane pointing directly into the spot I turned at. I had no idea it was illegal. Still got pulled and ticketed. I also didn't have my license on me at the time, I left it at the house. Oops. I also got pulled in February for expired registration. Straight up forgot. Don't think about my license plate too often lol. It can be tough.
To the OP - if you're like this guy and find it difficult to manage such things like this then yes, it is difficult to have a clean record.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:01 AM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
A lot of companies that involve driving require you to have a clean record (no tickets, no accidents). But the more you drive the more possibilities you have to get tickets or get into accidents. I know this might sound stupid but is there any advice of how to keep a driving record clean ?Cause sometimes you just get into an accident because of some drunk driver and is not even your fault ..

Pretty easy really... All you need ot do is sort of follow the rules.

The cops that are going to pull you over BS are simply looking to make a dollar and odds are those will never make it back to your record.

I've ben stopped in little crap town in central and sourthern IL for BS and both the cop and I knew it. These never show up.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:52 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
To the OP - if you're like this guy and find it difficult to manage such things like this then yes, it is difficult to have a clean record.
Whoa man! Lots of assumptions on your part, eh? I went to court for the traffic control device ticket/no DL ticket yesterday and guess what...beat it. Knew I would. All it was was a center median/curb that led into my neighborhood. Literally hundreds of people do this every day. I didn't get on the curb or anything. Went around it. Cop just didn't get it. Showed them my license and it got dismissed. Whole reason I was making that u-turn was to go back to the house to get my wallet. Registration was expired by a mere 25 days. I don't look at my license plate so I forgot. It also got dismissed. You're telling me you have never ever, not once, never accidentally forgotten your wallet when leaving the house in a rush? Doubtful. If you say you haven't, you're lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive