Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 04:50 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times

Advertisements

Am just about to pull the trigger on a 2015 BMW X3. MSRP of 52225. Walking out the door at 50229. They gave me a $1000 coupon which was really worthless as I priced the car at the same at 2 other dealers without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
In Texas, we have D&M auto leasing that is an independant leasing company that will lease any car. They do sell, or even lease again, off lease vehicles. I just looked and they have over 200 vehicles in inventory right now. Just another option to consider. They are salespeople, so it would be best to know the product before talking to them. I called for a quote on a particular car, and they called me for several weeks until I told them I had already bought something else. Their lease rate was competative though with the dealer's rates.

CPO cars do usually have a good warranty, and they are the only ones that keep the Kia/Hyundai 10yr/100K mile warranty. Used Kia/Hyundais only have a 5/60 warranty if not CPO. 3 of the last 4 used cars I've bought were CPO cars, and we had no problems with them, but appreciated the extra warranty coverage beyond the regular 3/36 B2B warranty and powertrain warranty, which does transfer until it expires.

Good luck on your search!

Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
My previous car was totaled for a total loss ( got rear ended )

...For now I have a rental car paying out of my own pocket , while I'm deciding...
What! You got rear-ended, and are paying for a rental out of your own pocket??? In California, whenever a car is rear-ended, it is always the fault of the vehicle that hit you. Why is their insurance company not paying your rental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Here is what you do. If you can, get an off lease used car. You can save a crap load of money that way, and get twice the car for the same money. Those prices are firm though. Next would be CPO, which have a new car warranty equivalent. I would look at Euro cars with that; they have the best CPO programs...
This is what I did with my current car. I purchased a Lexus RX400H, (luxury hybrid AWD SUV), from the dealership that was a lease return. The car had just a tick under 60k on the odometer and came with a Certified Pre-Owned warranty that was good to 100k, (I did have to have some warranty work done on the vehicle). The car now has 160k and runs just fine. The rotors need to be turned, but other than routine maintenance, the car has been perfect! Only cost $26k, about half price from when brand new.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Am just about to pull the trigger on a 2015 BMW X3. MSRP of 52225. Walking out the door at 50229. They gave me a $1000 coupon which was really worthless as I priced the car at the same at 2 other dealers without it.
If you really NEED new go ahead, but try to look around for something used, or off lease. You won't go through the worst of depreciation, if you have a loan the payments are lower, the engine is broken in, and no one will notice.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
What! You got rear-ended, and are paying for a rental out of your own pocket??? In California, whenever a car is rear-ended, it is always the fault of the vehicle that hit you. Why is their insurance company not paying your rental?

This is what I did with my current car. I purchased a Lexus RX400H, (luxury hybrid AWD SUV), from the dealership that was a lease return. The car had just a tick under 60k on the odometer and came with a Certified Pre-Owned warranty that was good to 100k, (I did have to have some warranty work done on the vehicle). The car now has 160k and runs just fine. The rotors need to be turned, but other than routine maintenance, the car has been perfect! Only cost $26k, about half price from when brand new.
I was told that for them to pay I would of had to had the repairs done through them ,I just wanted to deal with my company ,and also I was going out of town anyways so I didn't bother with it . When I came back everything was pretty much settled , the car was released and I got the check ,

Sounds like a good deal on your Lexus and that warranty would give one peace of mind .
I am going to look at the CPOs more .

I was looking up lease returns too , but a lot seemed to be out of state , guess I'll have to dig a bit more .

Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
My previous car was totaled for a total loss ( got rear ended )

My payout on car was about 14k so it would be nice to get into something around that price that might be newer or with low miles .

Former car was a 2010 Kia forte and had 67,000 miles
OP, you received $14K for a 5 yr old Kia Forte with 67k miles? Which insurance company did the person who ran into you use? Did that include any money for pain and suffering or was that just for the vehicle? Sounds like a very generous payout....

I second what everyone else has said in the thread - used Honda/Toyota, you are better off buying new as they don't depreciate. Look for a 3 yr old used domestic (if you want to shop newer used cars). I'd look for a 7 yr old vehicle with 70-80K and bank the rest.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
It was for the car , it was the SX model which is more expensive than the other ones ,but granted it was a decent payout I guess .

I had AAA and they had MetLife .

They are lucky though that I didn't sue , maybe I'd be shopping for a Benz now ...actually was just looking at the CPO Mercedes out of curiosity I could prob get an 2009 for around 20k .
But I'm that interested in that .

I am thinking along the lines of getting an older car like you said .

Old 09-03-2014, 09:04 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Determine the exact make and model car which you wish to own.

Determine the dealers cost.

Offer the dealer his "cost"...as long as he shows you his invoice.

THAT is how you buy a car.

No hassles. NO haggling. No fussing about rebates.

Here's the price: Yes or no?

If the answer is no, then move along to the next dealer.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 AM

24,487 posts, read 17,226,594 times
rebates and cash back programs are all nice incentives but they are not negotiable. When I sold cars at a GM dealership we would often have rebates in the thousands. There were some vehicles like a Denali which was $50,000 and up, between the GM rebates and dealer discounts we were taking off $8000- $12,000 ! It was crazy but that was GM back in the day.
Toyota on the other hand when they did have rebates they would be for something like $500 with maybe a similar discount from the dealer.
Toyota does seem to hold their values better than most so buying a new one won't be much different in price to buying one a few years old.
If you are looking at Toyota also consider Scion. They have some fun cars.

Good luck

Old 09-03-2014, 11:08 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeGuy View Post
If you are fine with driving "yester year" car, you can get 2014s for a very good price. Do not buy a Toyota or Honda used, I find that they do not depreciate fast enough to be a value used, especially with current state of used car market. With 2015 Camry due to be out soon 2014.5 Camry should have great manufacturing incentives. I suspect buying a new Camry now is cheaper than buy 1 or 2 year old Camry. Plug in your zip code below and look at local incentives offered.

New Car Deals | Local Toyota Deals, Incentives & Special Offers
New Car Rebates, Cash Back, Special Financing & Lease Rates
I disagree. I recently purchased a 2006 Toyota RAV4 from Carmax with the uncommon V6 for just under Kelley Blue Book. I love the car. It has everything I wanted in a vehicle: low miles for a 2006 (70K, black, powerful engine, the SUV I need for hauling, good sound system, few blind spots, and great mechanical condition. I would suggest OP looks for one or two year old Toyota or Nissans at the dealership in his/her area. Unless OP plans on keeping the car 10 years or more, new cars aren't worth the extra price, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive