Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 07:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Meanwhile the reserves of solar power and wind power are inexhaustible, and free, so why wouldn't we switch over to those long before 250 years passes?
They are not free. They are quite expensive. But yes, we should not wait 250 years. But we should not panic since we have lots of time to develop solar and wind energy sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
You posted propaganda propagated by the corporations. The burning of oil is killing the planet and people's lungs. Did you know that?
No. Because it's not true. Did you know that?

Old 09-28-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
Lets say we do have 250 years of oil to burn. What's wrong with being proactive and trying to find alternative fuel before that time comes? What if it does take electric cars another century to gain stronghold in transportation? Wouldn't this be a good time to let the technology develop some more to solve the current issues of e-cars? I know electric cars are not perfect right now, but if we shoot them down now, what other fuel source will we have that will not be shot down by future political opponents as well?
I agree. We should try to find alternatives. But get the government out of the process. The free market will support alternative energy sources long before we run out of oil.

I agree we should NOT shoot down EVs. Just don't ask me to help rich people buy them.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 AM

245 posts, read 712,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree. We should try to find alternatives. But get the government out of the process. The free market will support alternative energy sources long before we run out of oil.

I agree we should NOT shoot down EVs. Just don't ask me to help rich people buy them.
I see where you're getting at. I too believe in the free market. Then I also see that sometimes it takes both government and free market to achieve some major change. Will electric cars be one of those things the government thinks it can jump start before handing over to the market? I really don't know. Hopefully the government will take it's hands off and let free market take over when electric car becomes more popular. It's going to be supply and demand that will eventually determine if the electric car is here to stay. No arguments there

Old 09-29-2014, 03:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,060,487 times
Quote:
They are not free. They are quite expensive.
The wind, the sun's energy and tides are all free to collect.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK
You posted propaganda propagated by the
corporations. The burning of oil is killing the planet and people's lungs. Did
you know that?
No. Because it's not true. Did you know that?
You are very confused
Quote:
We do not have a free market. We are controlled by a few corporations. GM bought the LA tram network and dismantled it to sell cars and the city suffered ever since because of it, creating one horrible road linked sprawl. After being told to sell a part of their setup because they had a private monopoly, AT&T ripped up fibre-optic cables so their competitors would not use them. The consumer suffered.

So much for the free market. The free market in autos has led to us to having a power unit that wastes 85-90% of the energy in the tank and that poisons the air we breathe. Governments have to ensure that those who pollute and waste resources pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
It's going to be supply and demand that will eventually determine if the electric car is here to stay. No arguments there
It will be forcing those who pollute and waste resources to pay for it that will push clean autos.

Last edited by John-UK; 09-29-2014 at 03:25 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
The wind, the sun's energy and tides are all free to collect.

So is oil.

But none of them are free since they require huge investments in equipment to collect those elements.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
You are very confused

We do not have a free market. We are controlled by a few corporations. GM bought the LA tram network and dismantled it to sell cars and the city suffered ever since because of it, creating one horrible road linked sprawl. After being told to sell a part of their setup because they had a private monopoly, AT&T ripped up fibre-optic cables so their competitors would not use them. The consumer suffered.

I agree that we do not have a free market (even though you obviously don't know what "free market" means.)

We have a government controlled and crony capitalist market.

You are very very confused.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:48 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
So is oil.

But none of them are free since they require huge investments in equipment to collect those elements.
True, but oil is like schitting in your own house, and the sun is cleaning up that mess.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
So is oil.
Oil is not free and will run out and it is filthy when burnt. You also have the community, via its government, charging a fee to extract the oil.

Oil is too valuable to burn. We get so many products from it.

Sun, wind and tide are free to harvest once the capital equipment is set up and paid for. They also do not pollute and ruin the atmosphere.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I agree that we do not have a free market (even though you obviously don't know what "free market" means.).
Look at my blogs and you will see I know a lot about economics having studied it at degree level.

You are very very confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive