Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

It's obvious these guys are funded by billionaire Saudi terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:48 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Most of them will end up looking like this.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I find it interesting those Toyota trucks,(this goes back to Somalia usage) can mount and fire a Soviet 12.7mm or large HMG. Maybe the accuracy is comprised by the supporting platform vibrating.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
It seems they'll drive whatever is readily available for them to steal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Those guys have money, they can send their buyers into a dealership in Baghdad or wherever and buy whatever they want.
I'm pretty sure that it is hard to legally obtain an American truck in a hostile country because we just won't import vehicles there and do not maintain dealer networks there. Toyota doesn't seem to have those hang ups. But I've seen domestic trucks in their hands before, but the "technicals" do almost always end up being Toyota Hilux but also the occasional Mitsubishi L200/Triton or Nissan Navara.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:18 PM

656 posts, read 1,340,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Most of them will end up looking like this.

Not if we're counting on the Iraqi Army and IPs to make that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I find it interesting those Toyota trucks,(this goes back to Somalia usage) can mount and fire a Soviet 12.7mm or large HMG. Maybe the accuracy is comprised by the supporting platform vibrating.
It actually goes back further... the Chadian-Libyan conflict was actually nicknamed "The Toyota War". The idea of what are now known as "technical vehicles" is nothing new, at all. The first armored cars were simply passenger cars with some steel plate fitted and a machine gun mounted, then there's units such as the Long Range Desert Group duing the Africa Campaign of WWII.
As for accuracy, yes, but a HMG isn't intended to be a super high precision weapon in the first place.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:46 PM

17 posts, read 64,964 times
When I was there in 2004 it was very common to see armored Range Rovers, S600, 745, etc. I bet we left alot of those vehicles behind. I drove a 2000 Chevy Tahoe while I was there. We leased it from a vendor off base. No telling where he got it. When I went back in 2008 as a contractor I drove a 2008 Ford Explorer that we leased for $5000 a month from a Kuwait company on base.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'm pretty sure that it is hard to legally obtain an American truck in a hostile country because we just won't import vehicles there and do not maintain dealer networks there. Toyota doesn't seem to have those hang ups. But I've seen domestic trucks in their hands before, but the "technicals" do almost always end up being Toyota Hilux but also the occasional Mitsubishi L200/Triton or Nissan Navara.
Hummers are very popular in North Korea.

Iraq is not a hostile country. You can import vehicles from the US. Likewise with NK, cars go from the US to a third party country like China, then there.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:09 AM

656 posts, read 1,340,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Hummers are very popular in North Korea.

Iraq is not a hostile country. You can import vehicles from the US. Likewise with NK, cars go from the US to a third party country like China, then there.
In a country which doesn't even want its populace having bicycles? Seems a bit far fetched to make it seem like they're that common there.
Not to mention that, if you are seeing them there, they're more likely Chinese clones such as those produced under the auspices of DonFeng and Eastwind.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:15 AM

226 posts, read 319,565 times
Quote:
That is not an F150, it's an F250 or F350. Most likely diesel and they're built likes tanks as well.
Even a F-150 is tougher than some piece of crap Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Don't think so (if you are talking post 1990 or so..., even earlier demise of the Tough Ford...))
Driven a tank lately?

If I'm being shot at by US planes and copters, at least give me a HiLux for my Anti-aircraft guns.

terrorist vehicle of choice for 20+ yrs.

I like the story about how the Canadian Flag on the HiLux is a symbol of 'tough', cuz the Jihadists happened to commandeer a shipment of them provided by Canadians and destined to Foreign Gov.

Tho I think Toyota should place laser targeting devices on Hilux.
Nope 2002 F-250 Super Duty with a 7.3L Power Stroke is still as tough as they come. I own one and have since it was new.

Quote:
It seems they'll drive whatever is readily available for them to steal. Nothing against the Hilux, they're great trucks, but I'll take the diesel Super Duty(even the 6.0L with the EGR sorted out) any day over the Toyota. Anyway, my whole point was they were driving an F250 not the lesser F150.
No comparison really if you know your stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm thinking that high tech Super Duty isn't going to be happy in a warfare situation when the only fuel available is desert sludge that's been sitting in an old rusting barrel.
Biodiesel and it can be made from frier grease.

Trucks Episode - Making Biodiesel - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive