Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 12:42 PM

522 posts, read 721,239 times

Advertisements

My 4x4 purchase was one of my best decisions. In the winter - obviously it was a plus.
But being able to take the ride completely off the road also permitted me to do a lot of interesting photo work that would not have been an option otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 01:25 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Nothing helps with hauling out a boat at a wet ramp like 4 x 4.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:12 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
yep, dont know how many times i'd just sit by the dock waiting and watching as someone with a fwd van/car spun and spun on the wet/slimy concrete trying to pull their boat/trailer out of the water. Weight transfer does exist.
But i'm sure there are those who'd advocate putting chains on for that circumstance as well.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:01 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
The same issue is overblown in Colorado. There is a thread in the CO forum right now re someone concerned about coming from out of state and being "told" they must have 4WD. Unless you are going seriously off-road, driving on snow and ice has more to do with drivers skill than 4WD. In my over 35 years in CO, if cars were sliding off into the ditch, 4 out of 5 would be 4WDs. And 4WD is no help at all for stopping. (even ABS is marginal help, IMHO)

It certainly seems like more and more; people expect their lack of interest in learning how to do anything, to be made up for by some mechanical or electronic device.. Oh well...........

Also I think a lot of SUVs that happen to come with 4WD are sold because the owner really only needed what we used to call a "station wagon", but that's so "last century" they just can't face their friends with one.
I refer to my Forester as an SWUV, a station wagon utility vehicle. It was rather curious in Mom's garage when I was with her. Her 1990 Olds Custom Cruiser Station Wagon, my 2002 Forester, side by side.

As it goes, the Forester came about after a long research project of what shall be my next car after driving a Corsica for 8 years. The Corsica did okay when I was doing field work with it, on beaches, off road, but I wanted something more, sturdier, better suited for the task. At first, I was looking at Jeep and Chevy, but it just came down to having to pay more to get what I needed in packages, getting what I didn't need like sound systems, and poor gas mileage. The Forester came with more for the buck. A $20K buck, mind you, but still, in conclusion it was better than what the others had.

And, 12 years later, I'm still driving it, still getting 25 mpg on the highway and rarely less than 18 in the city.

The F250 is a different research story but for that, I needed something with vast towing capacity for the ranch.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:26 PM

226 posts, read 319,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I always had some type of 4wd vehicle. Even if it was a beater. Why take the chance.
Yep Yep......and it always shows/ed.

grumpy old men fence stand off / the great Ice war. - YouTube

Old 09-10-2014, 05:29 PM

226 posts, read 319,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Fisherman, hunters and rural shooting range members it's nearly A MUST!!

Old 09-10-2014, 06:08 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Bingo! A RWD-only SUV is the worst of both worlds--lousy fuel economy, clumsy handling, AND poor traction.

Subaru hit on a very capable combination--an AWD car with full-time asymmetrical AWD and--in the Forester, Crosstrek, and Outback versions--sufficient ground clearance to handle deeper snow conditions and mild backcountry trail use. For an AWD vehicle, Subaru has the best combination of AWD capabilities and, relatively speaking, an affordable price.
Subarus have symmetrical AWD, meaning power is sent equally front and rear at all times. Some CVT vehicles are front biased but sI don't know if that's what you'd call asymmetrical. Most other brands of AWD vehicles are FWD until front wheels slip
Not every Subaru all-wheel-drive system is created equal - CNET

Old 09-10-2014, 07:25 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,330,439 times
I find old school 4 wheel drive to be fairly useless (unless you're into off-roading, which I'm not). However, a good AWD system is a thing of wonder. In slower cars (sub-300hp, slower than 14.0 in the 1/4 mile), its less important, but in faster cars the additional traction (dry or wet) is a gift from heaven. I've had multiple 400+ hp RWD cars that either sent the tires up in smoke (TC off) or were severely held back (TC on) when driven aggressively. My current vehicles (a 4dr sedan that runs 12.8 in the 1/4 mile and an SUV than runs 13.5) just hook and go regardless of conditions.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
[quote=winkosmosis;36429886 Trucks ALL have part time 4WD which locks the axles together and should never be used driving on the road. You can only use it temporarily to unstick yourself[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. Some trucks do have AWD. The Ram pickups have this option, as do the GMC pickups.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:10 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Subarus have symmetrical AWD, meaning power is sent equally front and rear at all times. Some CVT vehicles are front biased but sI don't know if that's what you'd call asymmetrical. Most other brands of AWD vehicles are FWD until front wheels slip
Not every Subaru all-wheel-drive system is created equal - CNET
Typo on my part, I meant to say symmetrical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive