Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times

Advertisements

i may have learned how to drive in the 70's (in WI), all cars having rwd only. Good snow tires and a lot of weight in the back and i got where i needed to be. BUT, i dont avoid awd/4wd these days, after all there are times it can be needed. Frankly our little crv pulls over 30 mpg's with the awd so not worried about that part.

I do agree that it seems (in snow storms) that many of those residing in the ditch are in awd suv's; I've had them fly by me only to pass them later on as they sat in the snow...... lets face it, an idiot driver in the snow very well is an idiot drive on dry pavement so why blame the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I too was under the impression that when I switched to 4WD all 4 wheels would be turning regardless of traction. One day I decided to see for myself. What I saw was that only the left front wheel and left rear wheel were turning. That's how it is on Dodge trucks anyway.
This depends on the carrier in the differential. If you order the truck you would have an option of adding limited slip, or possibly an electric locker (I know ford offers this). You really don't want both wheels in the front to have power in the snow or it won't steer properly.

I have a clutch type positraction in the rear and a locker in the front on my Jeep, so I have power to all 4 wheels. In the snow I only turn one hub in, so it doesn't want to plow.

I know little about the AWD cars, but my guess would be they only have 2 power wheels also.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:33 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Well, since you only need it when there's slippage and not when cruising on a dry road, then it makes sense to set up the system to do that. That way you get the effectiveness of AWD when you need it, and the lower rolling resistance of 2WD when you don't. So it really can "handle anything" because that's what it's set up to do.

And hell, even most of the old school 4WD systems were really only 2WD (one wheel on each axle) due to not having a limited slip setup or locker in them from the factory...
HAHA. The entire argument of this thread is that your 2WD can "handle anything" that 99.9% of the weather and road conditions in urban areas that one deals with. For the other .1%, you stay off the roads.
My wife's RAV4 has one of those part time 4wd systems, works well...not needed however. We just purchased it because the non-FWD version was not available. It's just an additional safety feature like ABS brakes.
These type of SUV's and there 4WD systems are not made for off-road conditions.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
I would have to agree that there is more AWD and 4WD than needed on the roads. I could go with a front drive vehicle through what I need to 95% of the days I drive. But I really, really like the AWD on those days you actually need it. Like at 10:00 PM after work this winter when I passed a whole bunch of front drive cars that couldn't get up a hill in ST Paul. It had been so cold for so long that the black ice had formed, so cold that the salt didn't even cut it.

That alone made it worth it.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 AM

I'll say this, and if you remember log on to Fox News Minneapolis this November or December after the first snowfall. I guarantee you the first vehicle they show in the ditch will be an SUV. Without fail.

The 4WD/AWD does nothing for you during rush hour on freeways, but you'll see them every year, tailgating, passing people way too fast and eventually rear ending someone or going in the ditch and often on their roof.

I grew up on a farm and even back in the 70's when I was a kid the 4WD trucks were a problem. They would go down a mud road by our farm to dig around after a rain. Every once in a while my Dad would have to go pull them out with a tractor. He used to say the only difference between 2WD and 4WD was the length of chain he had to use to pull them out

Old 09-08-2014, 08:48 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
When living in the DFW area back in the '70's, I purchased a set of chains at Sears for our RWD Volvo. It did the job but was a pain to put on the rear tires. Here in West TX, the rare ice storms are what we deal with. So far, living on a hill, our FWD cars have made it However, I agree that slow is always better and if living further north, AWD would be a big consideration.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:10 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
No way, with 90+ inches of snow a year here it is required. My 4WD has saved my arse dozens of times.
AWD is the biggest waste of money. The only exceptions being if you tow or go off-road.

The average person here in Western New York drives an AWD gas guzzling jerkwagon for 5 months out of the year.

I just swap wheels. A FWD car with winter tires does better than an AWD SUV with all-seasons. Plus, it is cheaper anyway. A set of winter tires + all season tires lasts longer than 2 sets of all-season tires.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:46 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
And why would you say this? I have a Subaru and it is one of the best purchases I've made in terms of value, and the Toyota and Honda I were looking at were more expensive.
Subaru makes fine vehicles and have carved out an excellent marketing niche for themselves in that they market themselves as tough AWD vehicles, but the technology and handling prowess of that system is average at best.

For most people who don't want to swap out tires and wheels, an AWD car on all seasons is going to get them where they want to go in all but the worst conditions. I think that is why they are so popular. I do think that talking about 2wd trucks with studded snow tires and locking rear ends isn't a fair expectation for most people to own or keep in their garage for those special occasions. Hence why the AWD softroaders and AWD lux SUVs are so popular.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
As a kid we had a friend that lived 7 miles from pavement... he never had any trouble with his VW Bugs... those cars were just about unstoppable is long as it had ground clearance...

Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
AWD is the biggest waste of money. The only exceptions being if you tow or go off-road.

The average person here in Western New York drives an AWD gas guzzling jerkwagon for 5 months out of the year.

I just swap wheels. A FWD car with winter tires does better than an AWD SUV with all-seasons. Plus, it is cheaper anyway. A set of winter tires + all season tires lasts longer than 2 sets of all-season tires.
Ah, this is just stupid. There is a huge difference between AWD and FWD on hills and heavy snow.

I have both and there is no contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive