Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times

Advertisements

Like many vehicles, mine have vinyl dark gray/black trim around the bottom edges, wheel wells, etc. I try my best to be careful, but I always end up getting paste wax where the vinyl meets the paint leaving white smears when dried (kind of like the white smears you get on a dark pullover after applying many kinds of deodorant and pulling it on).

Anyone find a product that is effective in removing the white paste wax smear from the dark vinyl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,859,287 times
Try one of those back to black trim products and try and work it in with a soft toothbrush.

I have the same issue on my CUV (black color) and it helped. I didn't think the paste wax is going to be so stubborn. Now I use Turtle wax Ice on the lower portions of the car, it does not leave any residue on plastic trim.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:13 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Pink gummy eraser.

Mike

Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Regular old WD-40 works pretty good.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Regular old WD-40 works pretty good.
Will it (WD-40) harm the plastic trim?

Old 12-14-2014, 07:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Like many vehicles, mine have vinyl dark gray/black trim around the bottom edges, wheel wells, etc. I try my best to be careful, but I always end up getting paste wax where the vinyl meets the paint leaving white smears when dried (kind of like the white smears you get on a dark pullover after applying many kinds of deodorant and pulling it on).

Anyone find a product that is effective in removing the white paste wax smear from the dark vinyl?
Forget the trim products, use a different polish. Use something like Klasse and you won't have to worry about smears or white powdery smears again.

If you use a real good product you won't have to buy all kinds of other liquids, pastes or special this or that that just ends up costing you money and at best, provides a very temporary solution.

To maintain a vehicles exterior only one good product is needed, not a bunch of special products for each surface type. Save your money.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:59 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Will it (WD-40) harm the plastic trim?
Not at all...........

Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 PM

886 posts, read 5,715,596 times
Peanut butter is an old trick of the pros.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:32 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
On black trim Mothers Back to Black works well and can be purchased locally.

The better carnauba waxes won't leave a white paste behind. Some are P21s or Poorboys waxes

Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Almost all the special liquids require re-application to maintain. Look up Klasse. It takes very little of the product to work and can be used on all exterior surfaces including mirrors and the windshield. It goes on over rubber, plastic and painted surfaces and leave no residue and best of all, you really only need to do it once per year. (I do not have any financial/business interests in it).

It is one of the easiest polishes/protectants I've ever used. Any carnuba wax will be useless if the paint gets very hot, which can happen in summer.

Carnuba wax has it's uses, especially on custom or older finishes where the paint can be cleaned and buffed. If your car isn't older than 20 years at least, there is no buffing of the paint as the clear coat covers the paint and no matter what you do to the clear coat, the paint will never get any better than it is. You can polish to some degree, the clear coat but that is about it.

The best detail shop in the world can't touch the paint if it has a clear coat on it, no matter what they claim. The same goes for all the special waxes, carnubas and space age nano this and that. The marketing for those products though all try to tel la different story until you read the very fine print.

In the end, if your car has the same finish that it came with from the factory, you don't need a bucket full of bottles and cans of special pastes and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive