Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:21 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiebrighton View Post
The red flags to me are the upfront payment in cash, without a title in hand...and supposedly a temporary plate emailed to me in a couple of hours after the purchase.
That's not a red flag, that's a giant flashing neon stop sign with air horns blowing. How is he going to email temp tags? I didn't know you could send cardboard via email
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:44 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiebrighton View Post
Hi airics, thunderkat and rider...

I am looking for a used car about ~$6000-7000, with hopefully less than 125,000 miles or so. I want the car to last another 3-5 years before I can afford a new/newer car.

I primarily need it for commuting to work and back, so maybe 800-1000 miles MAX a month in Houston, so no snow.

I was hoping to get a 4 door sedan or a small SUV/Crossover.

So from what it seems there is a lot of risk associated with this auction proposal...the dealer representative claims that I can be there while bidding.

Any suggestions on what brand/year I should look for....outside the auction of course!

Thanks,
Cass

Looking for a car at 6-7k. And he's making 1500 on fees?
With all the cars in houston, you can't find a decent deal?
You are not experienced enough to inspect the car. If you have to come on CD, asking for opinion. This isn't for you.

Don't do it..

On a side note, I know someone thinking about trading in there 2002 lexus rx300 SUV. Really well taken care..in your price range.
If you are interested message me.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 AM

32 posts, read 71,275 times
Hello,

Thank you. I will not pursue this deal, seems like there is nothing in it.

Chris V - I sent you a PM, please let me know if you have received it or not. I am interested in your friend's car which he/she is thinking of selling.

Thank you,
Cass

Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's not a red flag, that's a giant flashing neon stop sign with air horns blowing. How is he going to email temp tags? I didn't know you could send cardboard via email
It's not a flag at all.

You can do it yourself online, straight from Texas DMV.

https://vision21.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/V...ForPermit.aspx

Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
[quote=oceangaia;36423850]It's not a flag at all.

I was referring to the full cash payment, Emailing tags was just an additional comment. So they email you tags and you print them out?

Old 09-09-2014, 09:53 AM

32 posts, read 71,275 times
Hi oceangaia & NHDave,

Thanks for your replies. I saw the link you shared, and I believe those temporary plates are just for 5 days.

According to the dealer representative, the temporary plates which he would provide are good for 45 days.

Thanks,
Cass

Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Like others have said, RUNNNN AWAY!!!!

Or you could have some fun with him by stringing him along

Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Or you could NOT.... A lot of vehicles especially Toyotas have higher miles and are still in great shape with a lot more miles to go....

Scions for instance have a great reputation for going high miles with no problems.... I know several people including myself who have 04 - 07 Scion XB's with over 125,000 miles and no problems.. Even have a friend who has 310,000 on his with no major problems...

The XB's are fun to drive, have most all the toys, have plenty of passenger room and get great gas mileage... And most of them can be found for around $6000....
6-7000 is tough for a toyota or honda...and XBs great gas mileage. 25-30 is not great!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Even is legit, which I don't believe it is, the fee is outrageous... !!

Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
My good friend has a dealer license and gave me his login info in Manhiem. My wife and I were looking at used beetles for our daughter, we went with my friend and test drove a few beetles two days prior to auction. There's any and everything for sale there. Cheap cars to high end Ferrari's (one was there via Bentley Mpls) they probably took it on trade and had a hard time selling it, put it on hoping a dealer in SoCal or Dallas would buy it. If you found the car you want and cap the price for him to bid along with the fees, you could get a good deal. But this sounds shady. I like being able to sometimes find what a used car dealer paid for a car at auction and see the mark up. Not all Manhiem auctions are good deals. We put a cap on the beetle and it went over, so my friend didn't buy it for us. He also only buys for a select few if they find a car they want. PM me what make/model/year your looking at. I'll search it on your local Manhiem and give you a list of what's going through and if there's buy it now, etc...then you can search autotrader to see if they're good deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive