Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,247,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
This makes me sad.
I KNOW IT'S A CRIME AGAINST NATURE!

Without that manual, the car is basically a Toyota Tercel.

Actually no. The times I smile because I bought the auto far outweigh the rare times I want to use a clutch.

I've got my SV650S when I absolutely have to do all the shifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 PM

7,050 posts, read 8,870,257 times
I have been shopping for a used car and I have been having a really hard time finding something I like with a manual, I am not looking for trucks or SUVs either, just smaller cars with 4 cylinders.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:46 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,132,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
WOW! Using racial code words to imply that only Black and Latino people are thieves.

You ought to be ashamed.
Looks like you too are guilty of using racial codes. Jamal is black? Why?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:49 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,132,757 times
It is also generational. There was a time when I looked down at people driving big American cars with automatic transmission. I lived with a Lotus in the midwest for years! Now, I am sorry I can't buy a Crown Vic anymore.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 PM

12,943 posts, read 9,556,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
the vast majority of Americans cannot drive a manual and have no interest in learning so why would they continue selling something with no demand? makes sense that it's being phased out...
That's pretty much it, spot on with this comment.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:39 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,132,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I like to make fun of guys with automatic Corvettes
Ah, when I was younger, I had a customer who loved to hit on me. One day, while I was out dumping off shred (documents that needed to be shredded were taken outside to a shed to be put into a locked container that was picked up monthly) guess who drove up in a hot little Corvette.

He called my name and I walked over to him and he hopped out of car all proud... I looked in and saw an automatic, and the look on my face said it all when I said -- Is that an.... automatic?

Never hit on me again....

Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 PM

838 posts, read 1,347,427 times
Both my DD and weekend warrior are manual.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,731,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunyaBidneth View Post
I've never owned an automatic transmission and I never will. At my age, in traffic. sometimes my clutch-side hip gets painful but I can't stand the way automatic transmissions work. They always lag.
I don't know what you've been driving, but I can assure you, most modern transmissions do *NOT* lag. We've come a long way since the "Powerglide Transmission" was used in the 1950 Chevys!

My 2012 Camry Hybrid has a CVT, "continuously variable transmission," and there are no shift points and there's also no lagging.

Conversely, my husband just bought a Toyota truck with a five-speed transmission. That thing is a nuisance to humanity.

IMHO, of course.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 PM

656 posts, read 1,334,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Manuals were fine when it was just 3 or 4 gears. Now they espect you to shift through 2x that many. Bleh. I'd rather have the car do it.
What? Six gears is too much? Hell, I do it with 18, and those are unsynchronized, to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Somehow it never occurred to GM that the manual is chosen as a FUN option.
I'm sure it did occur to them. But, demand > fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
With the new 2015 Ford Super Duty and it's upgraded 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel putting out bone crushing numbers this year with 440 horsepower and 860 lb-ft of torque I can see it. Can you imagine the clutch needed to handle almost 900 lb-ft of torque? Jiminy Christmas!! Better work on a new 6-speed manual and get some R&D on it before letting that one out of the house. Anything but the best designed and most durable would end up scattered into a hundred pieces on the road when you hammered it. This is the strongest, most heavy duty, most powerful Ford Super Duty made to date for the record. Makes my '02 with the 7.3L seem like a joke!!

Not really a big deal. I mean, Eaton's made six and seven speed manuals to keep up with those specs for some time now, seeing as the vehicle they're installed in range from having the same types of engines found in pickups all the way up to the types found in heavy duty trucks. They really don't need to reinvent the wheel here.

Last manual I owned was an 86 Silverado with an SM465 transmission... it was a project vehicle, and I just didn't have the time for it. Sold it in February. My DD is an automatic, and I don't feel left wanting for it. I don't feel like I'm not in control of the vehicle, and I don't race it, so performance shifting isn't even a factor. And if anyone wants to make fun of me for it, I know a guy who still has an 83 Peterbilt 359 with an 8V92 Detroit and a 6x4 twin stick... let's see which of us can drive THAT.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 PM

226 posts, read 317,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
What? Six gears is too much? Hell, I do it with 18, and those are unsynchronized, to boot!

I'm sure it did occur to them. But, demand > fun.

Not really a big deal. I mean, Eaton's made six and seven speed manuals to keep up with those specs for some time now, seeing as the vehicle they're installed in range from having the same types of engines found in pickups all the way up to the types found in heavy duty trucks. They really don't need to reinvent the wheel here.

Last manual I owned was an 86 Silverado with an SM465 transmission... it was a project vehicle, and I just didn't have the time for it. Sold it in February. My DD is an automatic, and I don't feel left wanting for it. I don't feel like I'm not in control of the vehicle, and I don't race it, so performance shifting isn't even a factor. And if anyone wants to make fun of me for it, I know a guy who still has an 83 Peterbilt 359 with an 8V92 Detroit and a 6x4 twin stick... let's see which of us can drive THAT.
I'm glad they didn't jump into it and put out a turd. They are doing what they should be, thinking and planning it out carefully. The 440 horsepower isn't that big of deal. The almost 900 lb-ft of torque is for a pickup that can come in as small as a 3/4 ton package. That's a hell of a lot of power. My '02 is/was rated for just over 500 back then. Maybe 510 or 520, I can't remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive