Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 PM

656 posts, read 1,334,410 times

Advertisements

Yeah.. the numbers these pickup engines are coming out with can really blow one's mind. But making a transmission to handle it... they're already out there. Either the demand isn't enough that Ford continued to offer one, or they just haven't found one to brand as their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 PM

226 posts, read 317,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Yeah.. the numbers these pickup engines are coming out with can really blow one's mind. But making a transmission to handle it... they're already out there. Either the demand isn't enough that Ford continued to offer one, or they just haven't found one to brand as their own.
That sounds more reasonable than anything. Hahaha 860 lb-ft of torque in a pickup truck.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:25 PM

226 posts, read 317,432 times
Imagine what you will/would have after a race tune and or chip?

1000 +/- lb-ft??????

That's insane......

Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 AM

656 posts, read 1,334,410 times
That is, especially when you consider that a vocational truck and bus engine like the Cat C10 produced a max of 1350 from the factory, and the C9 which replaced it maxed out at 1150.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:16 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,459,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Why would you want one anyhow? Between driving, sending text messages, drinking a cup of coffee, fiddling with the radio stations, and taking selfies, shifting is just really inconvenient.
Been there, done that with a manual trans myself--minus the selfie part, of course. (Never have used a front-facing camera.) It's the pumping the clutch pedal for three feet at a time in a hurricane evacuation for most of a full day that weaned me off of manual transmissions. It's not like I have a weak pair of legs, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The new Colorado ONLY comes with a manual if you get a 2WD work truck, as if tradesmen care about manual/auto in a work vehicle. Somehow it never occurred to GM that the manual is chosen as a FUN option.
Rightfully not. "Fun" costs the beancounters at GM money that it doesn't have that one can find with a Camaro or Corvette. Bare bones trucks don't make anyone money and might even lose GM money, so they're not in the business of being a charity. I get that.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:24 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,038,449 times
what does a Mini Cooper Coupe and a Corvette Z06 haz in common? Neither can haz an automatic transmission. So it depends on what kind of car you're shopping for.

That being said, I spend 80% of my commuting miles in bumper to bumper traffic. Need automatic transmission to stay sane.

Last edited by SUPbud; 09-11-2014 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: clarified models

Old 09-11-2014, 01:32 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,777,393 times
I don't care what excuses someone makes, I want a manual, to me it'll always be the best choice. I don't care if theres a 20speed auto option that gets 90mpg and only takes .1 seconds to shift, I'll take the five or six speed manual, because automatics are for the old and lazy.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:09 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,446,117 times
Manual transmission does give you better gas mileage, but these days, people can now use their other hand to drink gourmet coffee out of a tumbler, check messages on a phone (hands and eyes free of course), or change music on their Ipods.

Speaking of which, corded telephones, faxes, and film cameras are getting rarer these days too!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:24 AM

986 posts, read 2,496,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunyaBidneth View Post
I've never owned an automatic transmission and I never will. At my age, in traffic. sometimes my clutch-side hip gets painful but I can't stand the way automatic transmissions work. They always lag.
Try a dual-clutch automatic which uses no transmission fluid. The Ford Focus was an early adopter of that design. If well-made they have a lot going for them, including better MPG due to less power loss (vs. a torque converter aka slushbox).

Old 09-11-2014, 05:02 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,732,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Manual transmission does give you better gas mileage, but these days, people can now use their other hand to drink gourmet coffee out of a tumbler, check messages on a phone (hands and eyes free of course), or change music on their Ipods.
That might have been true back in the day, but now with modern technology and computers choosing the shift points for optimal mileage, AUTOMATICS actually get same or better mileage.

Makes sense, too. No way someone sitting in a car is going to be able to choose optimal shiftpoints, when compared with a computer that is sensing ambient temp, engine temp, and a jillion other real-world conditions.

With my husband's new truck (Toyota Tacoma), the manual gets 18 mpg city/21 mpg, and the automatic version gets 18 mpg city/21 mpg.

And it is a nusiance to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive