Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:31 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
The whole idea behind muscle cars is taking a "regular looking sedan" and transform it into a high performance model. Otherwise they would use Corvettes and Vipers for this purpose (and many still do). However a Mustang Cobra can haul 4 grownups with their cargo and still accelerate like a missile, although for many it still remains a...Pony car.
But the difference in price between a basic Mustang and the Cobra model is substantial. That is not far from taking a Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta or Toyota Yaris, shoving in a 300HP engine, modified suspension, beefed up body parts, etc.
The main difference is the target market. People who want and buy these high performance muscle cars tend to be older and have more disposable income, hence the economy of scale.

The hot hatch market is smaller, and many of those buyers would just as soon spend $10K-15K on a used WRX and tune it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 03:52 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Probably because the automakers (read: The Big Three) and consumers still believe that unless your vehicle has a huge V-8 powertrain, it is a snail.

The Europeans and Japanese know better and that's one reason (beside fuel costs) why they build and drive the smaller and more nimble vehicles.

As long as American automakers and the petroleum industry are in bed with each other, there will be no incentive for the status quo to change.
Many American sedans can be bought with a 4 cylinder engines now in all classes (particularly GM and Ford) in addition to the many German and Japanese/made in America sedans that come with 4 cylinders.

Here is another reason why these small high performance cars do not sell - insurance. New drivers, who might be interested in these cars, pay huge amounts for insurance of non-high performance cars. Many would be hard pressed to pay a premium for the car and a premium for the insurance. If they can afford it maybe they are looking at the next class up or buying a used car that better fits their needs and desires.

I just spent some time in England. You see a ton of small cars. The work well as (except for the highways) the city and town roads are narrow and not built for cars. The 2 lane roads in the country are also narrow and quite often lined with rock walls. Everything is expensive in England and the cars in this class (Ford Fiesta/Polo/BMW 1) seem to cost more than the next class up (Mazda 3/VW Golf) here in the US. Gas costs around $8/us gal. This also drives the market. There is demand for these small cars so it is cheaper for the manufacturers to add the performance models.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:06 PM

13,649 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Regrettably, few well-heeled buyers are interested in maximizing performance by minimizing curb-weight. Today's mainstream performance cars (Corvette, 911) are incredibly fast, but all are well north of 3000 pounds. What happened to cars with 2/3 of the power, and 2/3 of the weight? Answer: between consumer tastes and regulations, such cars are impossible in OEM form. Well, OK, there is one such car: the Ariel Atom, especially the V8 version. But consider how many are going to be built! The only option is something custom-built, either by the owner/amateur, or by a professional shop; or maybe finding a deal on racingjunk.com.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:21 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
I remember my 87 Cavalier Z-24 w/2.8l V6. That was a fun little car and had a great HB with
plenty-o-room.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
I don't get the lack of demand for these, either. At least Ford now offers the Fiesta ST and the Focus ST. But buyers haven't exactly rewarded them for this.
I happened to have noticed a Ford Fiesta on the road recently. I had never seen one, so I got close to it on purpose to take a look. I always need a hatchback so I like to check out the small cars that look like they could address my cargo needs. I'm surprised it's the first one I've seen, it was nice looking. I can imagine it would be popular in Europe. The last time I was in London the Ford Fiesta was the American car I saw most often (English people need small cars, hence the Mini Cooper).

My neighborhood is LOADED with new Kia Souls. I wish I owned the Kia dealership in Tucson! Perhaps the Fiesta is too small for some people.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:24 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Regrettably, few well-heeled buyers are interested in maximizing performance by minimizing curb-weight. Today's mainstream performance cars (Corvette, 911) are incredibly fast, but all are well north of 3000 pounds. What happened to cars with 2/3 of the power, and 2/3 of the weight? Answer: between consumer tastes and regulations, such cars are impossible in OEM form. Well, OK, there is one such car: the Ariel Atom, especially the V8 version. But consider how many are going to be built! The only option is something custom-built, either by the owner/amateur, or by a professional shop; or maybe finding a deal on racingjunk.com.
2014 911 curb weight is 3042 lbs
2014 Corvette weight is 3298 lbs

I would not classify either as "well north of 3000 pounds". Unless you are tracking the car, saving the weight you are talking about will only lead to small improvements in speed and handling that most drivers will never need.

If the Alfa Romeo 4c ever gets here its curb weight will be somewhere around 2000 pounds. It will be interesting to see how many they sell.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:28 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Skimmed all the posts and think the OP could do nicely with a VW Golf GTI. He/she may not want to go $30 for a new one, but the recent models are sweet too.

I'm getting a 2015 Golf of some sort as soon as the 2/3-doors are available in the US. Reviews are always so high/best in class, the road-feel is kinda small which I like, they're quick and fast, make great use of space, and look good too. Really seams like a great value car.

note- I have no affiliation w/ VW motorcars...

Old 09-12-2014, 09:48 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Check out the Nissan Juke NISMO RS. Better yet drive one. Quick, very nimble, over 200hp, Recaro seats, lots of luxuries and features. I've driven the regular issue Juke extensively and that is also super fun on a curvy road. Very smooth too, with the CVT transmission. Purists will scoff, but drive it, it works. It is a creditable pocket rocket.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:38 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times
It's a shame the RX8 went out of production. Decent power and very very quick through the twisty bits. OP should be able to pick up a used one though.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:42 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
MINI Cooper S and you can mod the crap out of it.
And the new Miata is looking pretty nice.
Agreed. My wife has an 07 Mini S and it is a blast to drive. There are some larger Mini's now - Clubman, CountryMan, Paceman... MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring is the site for mini owners...

Part of this decision depends on one's station in life. The Mini alone would be too small, so we have an old Honda Pilot for hauling people and stuff, trash to the dump, skiing, etc. I have a 91 300ZX as a fun summer car... Also have an 05 Nissan Altima as a sedan for the kids to use when they are back from college... We live in NH, have plenty of rooms for cars, and it is relatively inexpensive to register and insure a car here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive