Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:09 PM

531 posts, read 753,489 times

Advertisements

Ask "Other than gas and break, what else you have next to the break on the floor?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 01:27 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,842,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post

I'm not surprised.
I have come to look at a car advertised to have a 6-cyl engine to actually have a 4-cyl. A manual as an auto and vice versa. It's so bad that, nowadays for a GM car, I just ask the VIN number and then I pull the GM VIS. I go by the information in it instead of seller's account.

I will only go by the CARFAX I pull up as the sellers lie. They always claim to have a clean CARFAX but when I get them I find the car which has low mileage because it was supposedly "inherited from a 92 year old aunt who bought it brand new" was recently bought at auction and never registered. On top of that it had 4 previous owners and 3 water pumps installed in a 6 year span. So much for the fictional 92 year old aunt.

I try to ignore ad in which sellers go into a song and dance as to why they are selling it. "Moving this weekend and we have too many cars".
The one that was just bought at auction was advertised as having "new tires, brakes, shocks, oil change and tune up to get it ready for a new owner".
These are most likely flipping the cars and they have a price a bit higher than a comparable car or even one a couple of years newer. The new stuff doesn't exist; why would they go through the expense and trouble to do so?

I don't explain why I want to sell a car. Does it matter?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:36 AM

656 posts, read 1,332,514 times
Let's not forget the supposedly "mechanic owned" cars, now.
In the case of manual cars/light duty trucks, I always ask how many miles there are on the clutch brake. If they actually answer it, I know they're full of fecal matter.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:15 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,229,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I've had bad experiences with buyers also. I put up an ad on CL with at least over 20 pictures. Guy calls me up and asks what color the car was....
Maybe he was colorblind?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:34 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,085,479 times
Thats why you take any used car that you buy from a private owner and a fly by nite dealer to a mechanic and get it check out before you buy. Also take a magnet wrapped in a rag and run it along the sides of the car, if it falls off then bodywork was done to it and their bond or fiberglass under the paint. Remember any car from a private owner or shady dealer is sold as is. So be sure that if the owner promises that the car is in great shape have them sign a paper stating that. There are to many con artist out there. Get everything in writing.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,186,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Or needed to pay off a lien to get the title. Either way, no title, no money.
If I had the cash to pay off the bank to get the title, I probably wouldn't need to sell the car.

I've sold cars that money was still owed on them, paid the bank, and then sent the title to the new owner. You give the new owner an official bill of sale and the contact person at the bank and it's all good.

Another issue: in states like MD where the plates don't go with the car, it's also a PITA to buy a used car from a private party where they have to keep the plates and you have to try to get the car home without having registered it yet. If I pay the guy, I'm not leaving the car there until I can get to the DMV and register it and come back with plates. (or vice versa if I'm selling it). So what to do? You either trust me to send you back the plates when I get home (or I trust you to send me the plates when you get home if I'm teh seller) or I bring along some older paltes or plates off my other car to drive home on. MD doesn't have temp tags for transport for private parties.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:00 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,670,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If I had the cash to pay off the bank to get the title, I probably wouldn't need to sell the car.

I've sold cars that money was still owed on them, paid the bank, and then sent the title to the new owner. You give the new owner an official bill of sale and the contact person at the bank and it's all good.

Another issue: in states like MD where the plates don't go with the car, it's also a PITA to buy a used car from a private party where they have to keep the plates and you have to try to get the car home without having registered it yet. If I pay the guy, I'm not leaving the car there until I can get to the DMV and register it and come back with plates. (or vice versa if I'm selling it). So what to do? You either trust me to send you back the plates when I get home (or I trust you to send me the plates when you get home if I'm teh seller) or I bring along some older paltes or plates off my other car to drive home on. MD doesn't have temp tags for transport for private parties.
In CO the plates also belong to owner. I think a bill of sale is an acceptable proof of ownership so if you get pulled over just hand that as proof to officer. They do state to register ASAP but understand you can't do it just then and there

Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,055,975 times
Buying or selling on CL is such a pain. And it mostly stems from people's stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
She arrived in the Midwestern town, exhausted after a long day at work, test-drives the car and is ready to make the deal when the seller says, "I don't have the title."
Unfortunately, I've encountered that problem too. Another time, I was ready to hand over the money and I notice it's a salvaged title.

Now, before I look at a car, I sent out an email with a bunch of (obvious, common sense) questions to cover myself. If the car is far away, I'll talk to them on the phone and ask the same questions.

I think another poster got it right, people are just plain inconsiderate of other people's time. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:18 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,570,888 times
If a seller doesn't even know the difference between a manual and automatic transmission, that'd be somewhat of a red flag to me. Someone that stupid is also someone who might not realize that oil needs to be changed every now and then, or that transmission fluid needs to be checked from time to time. And so forth.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:46 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,728,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Buying or selling on CL is such a pain. And it mostly stems from people's stupidity.

Unfortunately, I've encountered that problem too. Another time, I was ready to hand over the money and I notice it's a salvaged title.
My daughter encountered that, too. Just what is a "salvaged title"?

My understanding is that it's a car that was retrieved from a junk yard (post-accident) and repaired and sold. Is that right?

One fellow swore up and down the car he was selling (10-year-old Corolla) had "only minor damage" from an accident but it was a salvaged title. It did not add up.

As to the guy needing to pay off the title before he can sell the car, I'm sorry, but that sounds like a boat-load of potential trouble to me. This "get-it-in-writing" stuff is all well and good, but if someone does not honor their part of the deal, you have to take them to court and that can be a living nightmare.

PS. I'm married to an attorney, so I *know* how bad the court system is!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive