Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:01 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Aren't they usually leases now anyways so that you don't actually have to pay the sales tax anymore?

Unless of course you still have to pay the sales tax, which wouldn't really make sense since you aren't buying it.

My fiance's dad won a jeep at an NHL game in one of the intermission contests and it wasn't a jeep that he won, it was a lease for 2 or 3 years that he won.
When the lease was up I would be tempted to hand them back a crumpled soda can with two toothpicks and some cookies for the tires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 04:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
GTO, if you or I were to win a car up here in Canada, would we still have to pay taxes on it?

Like, when we win the lottery, we get the whole thing and only pay tax on the interest it generates. How would it work with a car, assuming you win it outright, and it's not a lease?
It would be tax free but we would still have dealer fee's to pay but some lotteries will cover the dealer fee's so you would win the vehicle without having to spend any money as well as it being tax free.

My answer would be it depends and best bet is to read the fine print since it may differ from province to province I know that some lotteries will give out prizes to the U.S. and Canada expect for Quebec

Old 09-12-2014, 04:30 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Aren't they usually leases now anyways so that you don't actually have to pay the sales tax anymore?

Unless of course you still have to pay the sales tax, which wouldn't really make sense since you aren't buying it.

My fiance's dad won a jeep at an NHL game in one of the intermission contests and it wasn't a jeep that he won, it was a lease for 2 or 3 years that he won.
Yep, I was also at an NHL came and they were giving away some Dodge sedan. It was a lease so not as thrilling

Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Years ago a salesman at a company I worked for won a brand new XKE Jaguar in a sales contest. He was thrilled, until he had the first scheduled maintenance done............$1500 ! And that was when $1500 was big money. He sold the car right after that.

Don

Old 09-12-2014, 06:23 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
That's crap.
Yeah... really crappy. Lol, what a "first world" response.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:12 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
I know that if you win a car, you'll have to pay tax, tags, title and insurance before so much as one wheel touches the road. I've always wondered if the studio holds the car until you got your paperwork, or are you issued a temp tag so you can drive the car home?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I know that if you win a car, you'll have to pay tax, tags, title and insurance before so much as one wheel touches the road. I've always wondered if the studio holds the car until you got your paperwork, or are you issued a temp tag so you can drive the car home?
Studio doesn't hold the car, you go to the arranged dealer they contract with to do all the paperwork and you pick up the vehicle there.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:52 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I occasionally stream reruns of old game shows.
I streamed an old "Price Is Right" show from I believe the late '70s and in one segment, a young woman is playing for a new car. Well, she wins the car, and usually, the winner jumps up and down, hoots, hollers, you name it. Instead, she burst into tears and starts bawling her eyes out. Poor Bob Barker's standing dumbfounded, "Hey, you've won the car...so why are you crying?" This woman looks up, says (between sobs): "I don't know how to drive a stick-shift!" (The car had a 4-Speed Manual). I couldn't help but to think, O-M-G!
Wonder if she ever learned.
She gave a rude response to her gift. Around here we call it looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Spontaneous reactions can be hilarious... a good buddy in Austin was present at the drawing for the grand prize in a big charity fundraiser raffle... it was an ultra compact "urban electric" with about a 60 mile range. Ownership, not a lease.

The woman who won the drawing was complete flustered, over the top emotional, and when the MC asked her where was the first place she was going to go in her new car, she blurted out... Big Bend!

For those not in the know, Big Bend National Park is about 450 miles from Austin, and for most of that 7 hour drive there's not a lot around. My buddy figured that even if she could somehow optimize her stops just before the battery ran out, it would take her 17 recharge cycles to make the full round trip, and that at 14 hours per charge on a regular 12 A 120 V circuit, like you might find at a Motel 6 or a 7 Eleven, the charging alone would take a minimum of 238 hours, or nearly 10 days.

In other words, the little Darlin' was unclear on the concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive