Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
The OP seems to be talking about people who merge too slow in general, regardless of what kind of acceleration lane is available to them.
Exactly. It's pretty simple. No speed limit signs, no clover leafs, no short ramps, just looong, straight ramps with plenty of time to get up to speed, yet some people just mosey along like no one else is on the road. Apparently this struck a cord with the paper boy though, so he starts coming up with excuses and arguments. Typical troll behavior.

We do have a few areas where you are entering the fwy from a blind, curved ramp with almost no merge lane where you have no choice, so obviously you once again use common sense and slow down to let people merge. Driving considerately and safely really isn't a hard concept, whether you are the merger or mergee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 08:21 AM

293 posts, read 309,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
yet some people just mosey along like no one else is on the road
When you read this, keep in mind that he was referring to people driving at 60 mph.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
When you read this, keep in mind that he was referring to people driving at 60 mph.
I believe I used the example of at least 10mph under the flow of traffic.
I know you keep trying but it doesn't matter what the number is. Match the speed (thread title). Don't deliberately attempt to merge in at a much slower speed. R.I.F. You'll get it eventually. I have faith.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 AM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
In this area there are no speed limit or advisory signs at freeway on-ramps that I travel unless it could be cloverleafs. When I got my drivers license we were instructed to enter any roadway on which traffic was traveling faster by increasing our speed so as not to cause traffic on the faster traveled roadway to slow.

Also here people exiting a freeway do not have speed limit or advisory signs in close enough proximity to the freeway to slow freeway traffic and the access roads are the ones to have yield signs so that those traveling at faster speeds and slowing to access road speed limits have the right-of-way until they too become part of access road traffic.

Yes sometimes it is a little scary having to speed up my compact pickup to match the speed of all the 18 wheelers traveling 65-70 mph but it is part of courteous and safe driving that keeps our roadways clear of more congestion and accidents.

What to me is disconcerting is where our access roads go from one-way to two-way or vice-versa. Gotta stay on your toes in this regard.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:36 AM

293 posts, read 309,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I know you keep trying but it doesn't matter what the number is.
That's cool, but the number was 60 mph.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 AM

This morning I was coming into work and was in the right lane.
Someone coming up a short ramp was merging in and was going fast enough that he had to slow down to merge correctly with the flow of traffic.
Now this is someone who has a solid understanding of how to drive. He was fully prepared to enter the fwy at full speed, but it was easy to correct by slowing down a little before easing in.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
Sounds like you're describing yourself, actually. If I'm on the highway and someone's merging and I'm on the right, if they're not going fast enough, you know what I do? I slow down. OMG! Yeah, I know, it almost kills me to do it. I have no idea what I'm thinking. Probably I should just run them off the road and then drive over the wreckage and salt the earth.
There is a term they have for when people enter a highway and force everyone else to slow down. It's called "failure to yield the right-of-way," and it is very much illegal, not to mention dangerous!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Once upon a time in Texas I pulled onto a frontage road on my motorcycle. I assumed the on ramp for I35 was just a little down the road. So, I start to accelerate to the highway speed expecting a short on ramp. Well, that on ramp was never coming and by the time I realized it I saw that frontage road was marked as 35MPH and I noticed the police cruiser at about the same time. Ugh.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Merges are clearly marked In Texas. Many do not shift lands to left even when going straight and often some will increase speed if given free lane to right.Anyhting to make that few seconds.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Yeah, I can understand it for really heavy vehicles on short ramps, but some people just don't get it.

In Wisconsin, people drive faster on the entrance ramps than on the actual highway. I have no idea why this is. The highway driving strategy seems to be:

Disregard ramp meter and HOV lane
Accelerate rapidly to 80mph prior to merging onto highway
Merge, using a the shoulder if required to gain one extra car length
Without delay, move all the way into the left lane
Set cruise control to 61mph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive