Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:28 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,112,583 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to think the honeymoon is over with my MINI Cooper S. I must say the car is a lot of fun to drive, but my wallet is bruised and battered. It's kind of like dealing with a stripper. I'm thinking about putting it up for sale or trading it in and just taking the bath. I love everything about the car, but the parts prices and labor burdens

This has got me thinking about what's next. I keep coming back to the regualr cab second gen Toyota Tacoma 4WD in a plain white wrapper with a manual trans. I think after a few VW's, a BMW and a MINI it's time for a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,691 times
If you are gonna buy those types of cars, you shouldn't be supprized when your rectum bleeds when you need to fix them or buy parts.

Just get a Ford or Chevy.........

Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,112,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Yes_You View Post
If you are gonna buy those types of cars, you shouldn't be supprized when your rectum bleeds when you need to fix them or buy parts.

Just get a Ford or Chevy.........
I have a Ford company car and GM will never see my driveway unless it's full of lawn mowers and grass clippings.

I think I'm going to have to go with Toyota, Toyota Jan is pretty damn hot.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
Yeah, if you are not a DIY... get the Toyota (And keep it maintained)

Did you buy these things used? Do you hire all your work done?

My VW Diesels cost me $8 to do a timing belt. My friends that use the dealer for repairs spend $800 for the same service.

3m fleet miles ~ $3000 in parts to get there. 50 mpg on free fuel, so no serious cost pressures.

My son went from his VW D to a 2nd Gen Tacoma and is quite happy except having to use GAS (ICK)

My 1st Gen Cummins are pretty robust. They will be getting a vintage cab to take them to 1 million miles.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:39 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,963,328 times
What year Mini? What all have you had to repair/replace? How many miles are on it?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,484,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'm starting to think the honeymoon is over with my MINI Cooper S. I must say the car is a lot of fun to drive, but my wallet is bruised and battered. It's kind of like dealing with a stripper. I'm thinking about putting it up for sale or trading it in and just taking the bath. I love everything about the car, but the parts prices and labor burdens

This has got me thinking about what's next. I keep coming back to the regualr cab second gen Toyota Tacoma 4WD in a plain white wrapper with a manual trans. I think after a few VW's, a BMW and a MINI it's time for a break.
Unfortunately Ive heard the same story from every single Mini owner Ive known (at least 35 of them) except for ONE.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,717,969 times
I am kind of at the same point. I am driving a 2004 MINI Cooper S since I got it delivered new in November 2003. Have had a few issues over the years, the supercharger going out was probably the worst at $2,200 last year. But, it is a 10+ year old car so I have not been too upset regarding the overall maintenance costs. But, I am just at the point where I am ready for something new. How other people perceive the car I drive is not of utmost importance, but I will not lie and say that as time goes on, the MINI has shifted from a performance oriented hot hatchback to a cutesy car driven by 70 year old grandmas with short grey hair. (and not that there's anything wrong with that, my own mother fits that exactly, but it has made me reconsider my next vehicle) .

I considered a 135i when they came out, but I just was not ready to pull the trigger. I would have definitely bought a 1M but things just did not work out. My wife's daily driver is a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited so I get my big 4wd fix on the weekends. But, I am just having a hard time finding something that excites me like the MINI did when it came out. I keep hoping that Nissan will actually make the iDx Nismo, but its looking less and less likely. I think I might start going on a test drive of a random car every other week.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:41 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,241,968 times
Well if done with the Mini cooper and looking for a PU truck the 2014 Ford F-150's are being blown out at Ford dealers all across the Country right now and some great deals can be found on a Brand new truck with a 5 year bumper-bumper Factory warranty.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:11 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,518,232 times
Quite a visually appealing truck.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,387,412 times
How much are those new F150s out of curiosity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive