Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:01 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
when the top is off my wrangler I aim the washer tube straight back with a piece of tape and really blast em.May upgrade to a high power pump dye the washer fluid brown and really blast em.Jeeps are for upgrading
Ha. I do that too. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 04:43 AM

585 posts, read 492,834 times
I have to ask a question here, if you are driving in the left hand lane of an interstate, doing the speed limit, and there is no one ahead of you as far as the eye can see, and 20 cars stacked up behind you that can't pass you because you are doing the same exact speed as the car in the right lane, do you think that is OK? Or could you just speed up a tad and pull to the right...you know and be a little considerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
You do the bolded sentence above.
How could I or any of the other 19 cars speed up? We can't, you are clogging the road in front of us.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:14 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Believe it or not, there is a "minimum speed" on roads, which many people who are being tailgated aren't aware of.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Believe it or not, there is a "minimum speed" on roads, which many people who are being tailgated aren't aware of.
They wouldn't know. Cause they missed that other sign that says, left for passing only.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
Yes, but the point is you can't determine the motivation of the person in front of you. Regardless of their motivation, you have to be in a position to respond.
EXACTLY.

Anybody who has even driven in rush hour traffic KNOWS that it's extremely common for the entire line of cars to have to brake quickly for one reason or another. When you approach the popular exists it's just simple MATH.

IF the jackass WAS IN CONTROL OF HIS VEHICLE, he wouldn't have had that end result just because I braked. OBVIOUSLY I didn't come to a STOP and even so....I could have HAD TO do so if the people in front of me did.

MAN KILLED CROSSING i95 TO HELP DAUGHTER

We're talking 60 MPH here.

Read about all the deaths in Jacksonville I95. There are accidents all the time. Road closings. FIRE-y collisions.

Six killed in chain reaction crashes on I95

Fiery deadly crash shuts down 14 miles of I95 for 11 hours

You can't have it both ways.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times
That's a sad story, but an 82 year old man shouldn't be out helping anyone in that situation...

I don't live in Florida, but I go there a lot,for business and pleasure.

I ve driven to the jacksonvile mayo clinic many times in the last five years...

I do know i95 gets dark and traffic can move pretty fast. That's a deadly combination for anyone trying to cross the road.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:41 AM

210 posts, read 246,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I take it you are one of the infamous "rat runners" then, the people taking shortcuts on narrow 1-lane roads meant mainly for the locals, and you gripe at having to get behind people walking their dogs or pushing their baby strollers all on the road?

If I read you right, then the message is clear--stay off those roads. You have no business being back there, especially if what you're doing is using it to save 1 mile on your work commute. Technically of course you can drive on those roads, but you really shouldn't be. You spoil the quality of life for people who actually live on those roads, and chose those roads specifically because they wanted some seclusion from zoom-zoom in their living space.

Any one person doing this, it's not a big deal, but when lots of people "catch on" and start taking a given shortcut, the cumulative effect is destructing and yes I think they need to stay from back there and stick to the 4-lane roads.

On the 4-lane roads, it's a totally different story. Those roads are designed for lots of people, and if you live on such a road, it's the price you pay. Traffic should be moving and moving fast on such roads.
Again. No.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issus View Post

It seems that 90% of cars will back off when water starts splattering all over their window
Just what I want, a person in a two ton vehicle on my rear now having a visual obstruction of my own making.

If someone is really tailgating, I get over in the lane to the right and let them go. If it is just one lane, I will decelerate to the point of letting them pass if it is safe to do so. I have not read what others have said, but I do not brake check them because many of these people are not good drivers to begin with and may crash into you. Furthermore they may be distracted with texting, GPS, frantic because they are in a hurry(possibly something urgent), etc.
So I want them to get as far away from me as possible without making it worse.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:56 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
I think some tailgaters actually don't know they're doing it. I have a friend who is a horrible tailgater. She isn't aggressive in the least. She's just a really bad driver and doesn't know she's tailgating. I can't stand being a passenger when she's driving.
My son's high school driver's ed teacher taught them to follow much closer than what I was taught.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 AM

498 posts, read 977,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
I have to ask a question here, if you are driving in the left hand lane of an interstate, doing the speed limit, and there is no one ahead of you as far as the eye can see, and 20 cars stacked up behind you that can't pass you because you are doing the same exact speed as the car in the right lane, do you think that is OK? Or could you just speed up a tad and pull to the right...you know and be a little considerate.
Seems to me that if all lanes are in use by vehicles going at exactly the speed limit, then changing lanes in order to allow faster vehicles to pass could be interpreted as aiding and abetting a criminal activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive