Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 595 times

Advertisements

I have only had this happen to me once. This is after I slowed down to let THEM merge, despite having the right away. They obnoxiously pulled in front of me and then drove way under the speed limit on a one way road. I wasn't even tail gating the first time they hit their spray. I couldn't just stop or pull over. This is a one lane road with no place to pull over. If i try, I'll end up in a ravine. I had to go to work and I just wanted to drive my normal route. Am I supposed to allow down even more, despite being at a reasonable distance away?

So glad to know all YOU entitled people feel it's okay to make the roads unsafe. I drive an old car so my spray doesn't work at all on my car. I had to hope the windshield wipers would wipe most of it away. I had to hope on the ONE LANE, WINDING BACK ROAD THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO MY WORK I can drive, is safe. So thanks. So glad to know that so many people advocate this. It's fine. It's not like people don't die on this road all the time because of unsafe or reckless driving already.

Oh wait. They do.

But I'm sure it's no big deal, spraying wind shield fluid at people commuting to work on the ONLY road. I'm sure everyone has brand new, shiny cars that work right because they can afford them. I'm sure the ONLY people who are punished this way are the ones who are "tail gating" and "in the wrong". I'm sure NO ONE abuses this and justifies it as "teaching someone a lesson" when it could possibly kill someone.

I actually looked this up to see if it's illegal to do that, to endanger my life like that on a one lane road, but since everyone seems to be ALL FOR IT, it MUST be alright and I MUST be over reacting and in the wrong here.

I'm so sorry that my commute inconveniences people. I'm so sorry that my life needs to be endangered because I need to be "taught a lesson" for being courteous. Defensive driving? I let someone cut me off, they were a dick about it, and because I was wearing my uniform I couldn't even react. I couldn't honk my horn or tail gait. Everything I did would reflect badly on my company. But yeah. This is a great method, can't possibly go wrong in any way, and should be used to "teach people a lesson" all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 02:51 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I just wish the cops would write more tickets for tailgating since that is the only thing idiot drivers understand.
Tailgating is defined as driving too close to avoid an accident. If there is no accident, there is no evidence you could not avoid one. Absent an accident, the law is too vague to enforce, and in fact, the absence of an accident is proof that you were able to stop in time to avoid one, and therefore not guilty..

Old 01-17-2019, 04:42 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
No

Old 01-17-2019, 05:47 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
I had a guy in a Mercedes making a huge ass of himself the other day. Tail-gaiting, road-raging...

I swerved over toward the median past the yellow line and threw up a bunch of gravel. He backed off real quick and kelt his distance

Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
You can actually aim the passenger squinter to shoot over the top of your car if desired.

If you have holes in the floorboards, a super ball or two makes a nice surprise.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
If you have to redirect where your nozzle is aimed then you may need to rethink if you're the problem and not everyone else. I've had it happen here and there, it's more like a wth moment before I downshift and pass right or left. More an annoyance than some big flag that is going to get me to keep away. Besides I bet most of the time it's because you are flying solo in the left lane and refuse to move over because of entitlement or I'm the leader.

These are usually the same people who find it sane to drive parallel to a semi-truck pacing his speed in the blind spot thinking all is OK.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
If you have to redirect where your nozzle is aimed then you may need to rethink if you're the problem and not everyone else. I've had it happen here and there, it's more like a wth moment before I downshift and pass right or left. More an annoyance than some big flag that is going to get me to keep away. Besides I bet most of the time it's because you are flying solo in the left lane and refuse to move over because of entitlement or I'm the leader.

These are usually the same people who find it sane to drive parallel to a semi-truck pacing his speed in the blind spot thinking all is OK.
Nope. all of the time of the time it is because idiots seem to think they achieve some benefit form driving too close to the car in front of them. If the water can hit you, you are too close.

Someone tailgating me is threatening me and my passengers. They are trying to harm or kill us. It might be justified to turn around and shoot them, but since we cannot do that, windshield squirts can serve the need.

If i am in the fast lane, it is because I am going faster than the cars in the next lane (which is usually the case). If I am in the slow lane it is because I need to go slow for some reason or I am about to exit and I am not about to speed up because some childish snert wants the slow lane to move faster. . If I am in the middle lane it is because I am just cruising along and no one in front of me is going slower than I am. Most of the time, some idiot is less than 10 feet behind me. Sometimes less than two feet.

The only time I drive slowly in the fast lane is if someone comes up on my tail. then I slow down to minimize the likelihood or severity of a collision.

Tailgating is immature and selfish. However it is also a dangerous threat. In any given week it is probably the most dangerous threat I encounter (and I spend most of my time in Detroit).

Old 01-17-2019, 09:39 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Slowing down often works, at least if there is a legal passing zone.

It does not work on buttkissers (I actually refer to them with a worse term but cannot write it here) who are deliberately drafting you. Remember hypermilers? That type of buttkisser.

I once had to shed a pair of drivers who, it became clear, were trying to entrap me to carjack me. Slowing down was part of how I got them to give up. That’s a whole different scenario from garden-variety tailgating, though. The vehicles they drove were brand-spanking-new shiny SUVs...black with dark tinted windows. Probably stolen.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issus View Post
I've seen a few mentions to tailgaters in the last few days, and peoples strategies with dealing with them. However I haven't seen anyone else saying they use my method - so I'm curious to if it works in other countries as well as it does here.

I find that my front window gets exceedingly dirty when someone is right behind me, and find that I have to keep washing it for sometimes several minutes to clear my view. This has the unfortunate consequence of the excess water getting pushed off my window and into the air flowing past my car - at which point it is caught in the drag behind my vehicle and tends to make the car behind me's window wet - if they are close.

It seems that 90% of cars will back off when water starts splattering all over their window, and repeated applications dont show any reduction in effect. Say someone starts tailgating you, you wash you your window and they back off, a couple of minutes later they come back and you wash again, they back off again.

Obviously, it doesn't work in wet climates at all, as nobody would notice.
"AHHHHH, I'm melting....melting", said no tailgater ever

meanwhile, some knucklehead with his attention fixed on his rearview mirror smashes into the stopped traffic ahead of him.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Believe it or not, there is a "minimum speed" on roads, which many people who are being tailgated aren't aware of.

As well as laws in many places to 'keep right except to pass'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive