Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I special ordered my 325iT BMW for factory pickup in Munich when I was going to be working over there... it is the only new car I have ever bought.

At the time, the 3 series wagons were selling at a rate of 2 per month in my State... see a lot more of them now.

It is real pleasure to drive and I do drive straight through from San Francisco to Seattle with no problem and MPG is always over 30 which is great for a now 12 year old vehicle.

I love the versatility of it... in a pinch, I have carried the following inside my little 3 series:

40 gallon water heater

9' artificial Christmas tree

Several squares of roofing shingles

8' pressure treated fence posts and sack concrete mix...

Plus it had plenty of room for 5 with luggage travel 3,000 miles through Europe and cruises nicely at 100 mph...
I have been on a small campaign for a wagon since a recent vacation to German and Austria...it seemed that every 4th vehicle was a MB/BMW/Audi station wagon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
That is one off the last of the good Ford years. Body on frame, RWD and V8.
Yeah esp. the ones with the optional 351ci Windsor V-8 (5.8 Liter EFI) with a HD tranny cooler and towing package

Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I have been on a small campaign for a wagon since a recent vacation to German and Austria...it seemed that every 4th vehicle was a MB/BMW/Audi station wagon.
Very true and they are super popular... even see some towing small camping trailers...

At the time only the gas engine was available to US specs...

My colleagues were amazed the car cost me less than they have to pay... everyone also commented/asked why I bought with a gas engine

Majority of cars are diesels there.

In 12 years I have had two failures... within the last year I had to replace a $44 voltage regulator and a window crank mechanism at about the same price...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-19-2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
No, no, no, no, no!!! Crossovers and SUVs are not, never have been and never will be station, or 'estate', wagons. As soon as you drive a real wagon you'll understand immediately what I mean. SUVs were based on pickup truck frames and still drive like that with all the body roll and wallows that a truck gives you. I have an Explorer and will stand by that statement all day long, having owned a few real station wagons in my earlier days. I would LOVE to have a real wagon again, if I could find one I like and that fits my driving style today. Subaru's Outback might make the cut, or a Jaguar X-type Estate....
Thank you, that's what I'm talking about.

Finally, someone who understands and gets it.

You go to the head of the class.

P.S. - You're right. The Subaru Outback would make the cut without breaking the bank.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
Yeah, that's because it's the best looking car of all time. But it must have two doors. I would really like one in some kind of metallic burnt orange color.

I would take one over any Bugatti Veyron or the top of the line Ferrari any day. I'd even take one over an Alfa Romeo 8c, though I'd hesitate for a second. But only a second!
You would take an ancient 2 door wagon over a Bugatti Veyron??!!!

It's madness, I tell you.

Sheer madness.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:07 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You had a 1983 Pontiac Bonneville SW in 1950?
Yeah, words matter, and so do numbers!!!

LOL.

I meant to say the 1990s!

Oh DEAR!!!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:22 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
No, no, no, no, no!!! Crossovers and SUVs are not, never have been and never will be station, or 'estate', wagons. As soon as you drive a real wagon you'll understand immediately what I mean. SUVs were based on pickup truck frames and still drive like that with all the body roll and wallows that a truck gives you. I have an Explorer and will stand by that statement all day long, having owned a few real station wagons in my earlier days. I would LOVE to have a real wagon again, if I could find one I like and that fits my driving style today. Subaru's Outback might make the cut, or a Jaguar X-type Estate....

Crossovers are not SUVs. Crossovers are sedan chassis with added utility and a little added height and the option of AWD. Crossovers ARE the modern equivalent of the traditional station wagon, which were sedan chassis with added utility.

Oh, and most of the traditional wagons posted here, like the Country Squires and their ilk, were what you describe SUVs as: body roll and wallowing around corners. They were BOF and larege unibody sedans with added utility and worse handling. So your complaints about SUVs not cuting it are a bit, well, ignorant as you obviously never drove traditional '60s and '70s wagons either.

BTW, my Suburban outhandles and out-utilities my old '73 Pontiac Safari station wagon, which looked just like this:

Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Try this in a Suburban;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-dntcm75Y

Old 09-19-2014, 12:36 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
I can't see that at work, but I can't imagine my old '73 Pontiac Safari faring even as good as the Suburban would, if the video is what I think it is.

And try this with a little Euro Sportwagon:

That trailer is 8500 lbs and 30 ft long. i can pull it at interstate speeds easily. it's not slow like those little Euro wagons pulling little Euro caravans.

Last edited by Merc63; 09-19-2014 at 12:58 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 12:42 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
That trailer is 8500 lbs and 30 ft long. i can pull it at interstate speeds easily. it's not slow like those little Euro wagons pulling little Euro caravans.
And I could buy a prop plane and fly it across the country, faster than your suburban/trailer.
But that's not the point of this thread.
The point is wagons rule, suvs suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive