Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 12:54 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Of course

And why are cyclists so against licensing, training, and registration. Just like their brethren on the road. Why are they so entitled that they don't feel the need to be trained properly on rules of the road especially if they are sharing it with others who have gone through the process of training, licensing, and registration.
And how come no one was asking for this asinine requirement until now? If it was okay 20 years ago or 100 years ago, why suddenly completely out of nowhere are people asking for this? Am I to believe that only in the past 20 years have bicyclists started riding in whatever ways they do? Am I to believe that people didn't notice that cyclists didn't need to register etc 20 years ago, they just now noticed?

Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 12:58 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
And how come no one was asking for this asinine requirement until now? If it was okay 20 years ago or 100 years ago, why suddenly completely out of nowhere are people asking for this? Am I to believe that only in the past 20 years have bicyclists started riding in whatever ways they do? Am I to believe that people didn't notice that cyclists didn't need to register etc 20 years ago, they just now noticed?

Please.
So because we didn't ask for it 20 years ago than we shouldn't be asking for it now?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:11 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
Quote:
So because we didn't ask for it 20 years ago than we shouldn't be asking for it now?
Basically--yes. Ask yourself WHY you didn't ask for it until now. What has changed, if anything? Did the laws of physics change? Has bicyclists' behaviors changed? Has drivers' behaviors changed? Have the designs of roads changed?

If you can't point to anything that has changed to make it newly necessary, then all I can see is simply that, like many other things, it's just become "the thing to do," like a fad, like Rubik's Cube or something. It smacks of all of this persecution of texting while driving while ignoring the many numerous ways drivers have been distracted for many years, and still are, often-times in great numbers than are courtesy of texting. Or maybe some people have always wanted this, but never sensed any opportunity, but now have sensed something that makes them believe that it's now a good time to do so.

Either way, it's worth asking "where is this all coming from, and why now all of a sudden after all of this time?"

Old 09-25-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Basically--yes. Ask yourself WHY you didn't ask for it until now. What has changed, if anything? Did the laws of physics change? Has bicyclists' behaviors changed? Has drivers' behaviors changed? Have the designs of roads changed?

If you can't point to anything that has changed to make it newly necessary, then all I can see is simply that, like many other things, it's just become "the thing to do," like a fad, like Rubik's Cube or something. It smacks of all of this persecution of texting while driving while ignoring the many numerous ways drivers have been distracted for many years, and still are, often-times in great numbers than are courtesy of texting. Or maybe some people have always wanted this, but never sensed any opportunity, but now have sensed something that makes them believe that it's now a good time to do so.

Either way, it's worth asking "where is this all coming from, and why now all of a sudden after all of this time?"
Because this message board wasn't around 20 years ago. Happy now

Plus there are more riders now than 20 years ago. Things evolve and change. Everyone has to adjust to it. Just like marijuana laws in the US. How come there are 2 states that allow it now (and more to come in the future).

Old 09-25-2014, 01:27 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Should be if you're sharing the road with vehicles. You're in the same lane as another vehicle traveling at least 3 times your speed.

Not referring to training on how to ride a bike.

Train how to operate a mode-of-transporation on public roadways and how to share the road with vehicles (ie: fast moving objects) and be aware of their surroundings on said roadways. This would benefit all parties.

And yes, I believe DMV should require training drivers on how to share the road with cyclists also.
Cars don't ride three times my speed. My on-road speed is 20 mph and the speed limit is 30 mph on city streets. How's that supposed to work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Absolutely should be if you are expecting to be given the same privileges to use the roadways as other vehicles. Unless you WANT to be considered a child - and children generally aren't expected to use the roads on their bicycles along with other traffic because they are, well, children. Are you a child? Do you want to be a child with your parents legally responsible for your irresponsible deeds that harm others?
Using roadways isn't a privilege. Operating a motor vehicle is a privilege. There is a difference. Do I need a license to jog in the street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With all the nut cases out there driving cars i just cant see the logic of driving a bicycle on the roads with cars whizzing all around, It borders on suicidal .
I do it 5 days per week, twice a day. It is no different than driving a car... albeit less streesful.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:30 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I don't think any drivers think it's something wrong with bicyclists. But when a driver are held to all these rules of traffic, and can get ticketed for rolling though stop signs, ignoring yield signs, speeding etc, while bicyclists can do whatever the hell they want and get away with it...that's just not right. If you are biking on the street, you should be held to the same standards. Nothing less.

Im glad to hear bicyclists in Toronto are doing just that.
Ahhh, the truth finally comes out.

Here is an example of a driver enraged that bicycles upset the moral order of the road. You want bicyclists to be punished for things you can't do.

I don't disobey laws nor do I advocate for other cyclists that do so. However, this primative response to something as minor as a cyclist rolling through a stop sign is just irrational misplaced anger.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Cars don't ride three times my speed. My on-road speed is 20 mph and the speed limit is 30 mph on city streets. How's that supposed to work out?
Totally missed the meat of my post

Quote:

Here is an example of a driver enraged that bicycles upset the moral order of the road. You want bicyclists to be punished for things you can't do.

I don't disobey laws nor do I advocate for other cyclists that do so. However, this primative response to something as minor as a cyclist rolling through a stop sign is just irrational misplaced anger.
That doesn't stop cyclists from doing so. Just because you obey every letter of the the law does not mean every cyclist does. And YES, cyclists should be held to the same standard as other vehicles on the road. I don't understand how any can think otherwise...

RED means STOP. Does not matter if you are driving a car, walking, or riding a bicycle.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:

Please.

100 years ago, cars did not have to be licensed and driver's licenses (never mind insurance) weren't required for those driving automobiles. Once sufficient numbers were using the roads to make it necessary, it was done. That's what's happening now - enough people are deciding to ride their bicycles on the roads that it is becoming necessary that they be held to the same standards as those who drive automobiles, even if a lot of them would prefer to be held to the same requirements they were when they were six. That's pretty much the way it works - when you become numerous enough to become a hazard, requirements are established.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times
Because they're such rebels...ooh...sons of anarchy

Old 09-25-2014, 01:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:

I've more than once had a bicyclist "roll through a stop sign" evidently convinced that no one was coming, had to slam on my brakes (at 20 mph) to avoid them, and then have them mad at ME because THEY broke the law because they were just sure there was no one coming and how DARE I be on the road there when they were using it! How they managed to avoid seeing a red automobile that close is a puzzle, but there it is. You know, if everyone who broke the law did it when they were sure no one else was around and they were always right, there'd be no tickets, no arrests, no nothing. But there are. Hmmm, wonder why that might be?

So, yes, when bicyclists break the law and put me at risk of injuring them, plus setting a bad example for my kid who is in the car, it upsets me. That's not "irrational misplaced anger" on my part; being mad at me because they broke the law and didn't see me and got scared because they almost made me hit them is irrational misplaced anger.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive