Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:51 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times

Advertisements

So much misplaced vitrol. How many drivers were killed last year because of pedestrians and bicyclists?

Bicyclists are not required to carry liability insurance because they are an extremely low risk for harming life and property. What kind of damage is a 30lb bike moving at 10mph going to cause? Here's a hint: A hell of a lot less than a 2-ton vehicle travelling at 40mph. If they were required to carry insurance, it would probably be to the tune of $10/year. Yeah, that'll teach'em!

As far as licenses and accountability, sure, let's hold riders to the same "rigorous" standards that drivers are: You need at least 20/80 vision, pass a 20 minute written test, ride your bike around a parking lot for 10 minutes with an instructor present and you're good to go for the rest of you life so long as you pay the $30 fee every 4 years. As long as you're not caught under the influence, you can pretty much do whatever you want. That will keep them in line for sure! After all, it works so well for drivers. They all know and follow the rules of the road and almost never do anything illegal.

Cars (and fuel) are taxed because of the immense amount of public space and infrastructure required to accommodate them not to mention the wear and tear on streets are many orders of magnitude higher than bicycles and people walking around.

See:Cyclists Paving the Way for Ungrateful Drivers ← The Urban Country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 01:08 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
So much misplaced vitrol.
More like the expression and discussion of a very widespread problem observed every day. If you think cyclists don't largely ignore the rules of the road to the degree that they endanger lives and property on a dailly basis, you must have your head buried in the sand.

There is no training required for operating a bicycle on a public road in my area, and it shows. It showed in every town in each of the 11 states where I've lived.

Quote:
Bicyclists are not required to carry liability insurance because they are an extremely low risk for harming life and property. What kind of damage is a 30lb bike moving at 10mph going to cause? Here's a hint: A hell of a lot less than a 2-ton vehicle travelling at 40mph. If they were required to carry insurance, it would probably be to the tune of $10/year. Yeah, that'll teach'em!
It's not about "teaching them". Cyclists can and do cause physical or property damage and there are reports of cyclists causing fatal injuries to pedestrians posted in this very thread. I have personally been injured by a cyclist who decided to use the crosswalk to get around traffic. I see the exact same refusal to obey basic traffic laws by cyclists every day, and I've personally seen two accidents this year alone caused by cyclists that resulted in fairly significant property damage.

Vehicles that operate on a public street should carry liability insurance at a minimum. At only $10 per year, it sounds like a steal to me and shouldn't be the cause of any financial hardship. If it's a problem, pehaps cyclists should try jogging for exercise or taking public transit....at the very least, use your bike on a dedicated trail setup by your local parks and recreation department with their budget.

Quote:
As far as licenses and accountability, sure, let's hold riders to the same "rigorous" standards that drivers are: You need at least 20/80 vision, pass a 20 minute written test, ride your bike around a parking lot for 10 minutes with an instructor present and you're good to go for the rest of you life so long as you pay the $30 fee every 4 years. As long as you're not caught under the influence, you can pretty much do whatever you want. That will keep them in line for sure! After all, it works so well for drivers. They all know and follow the rules of the road and almost never do anything illegal.
You clearly have a problem with holding vehicular operators accountable for their own actions. Driving is a privlilage...it's not a right. Governments should offer training for bicyclists through their traditional driver's ed courses and require liability insurance and adherance to all traffic laws from each and every vehicle on the road.

Quote:
Cars (and fuel) are taxed because of the immense amount of public space and infrastructure required to accommodate them not to mention the wear and tear on streets are many orders of magnitude higher than bicycles and people walking around.
Cyclists use as much lane capacity as any car. Because of their lower speeds, they are actually major road hogs that eat up lane capacity without paying registration fees, fuel taxes, or usage fees of any kind......and all with zero driver training.

Last edited by tigerphan; 09-22-2014 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 01:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
A cyclist randomly almost hit me because he tried to make a left turn in the oncoming lane almost hitting me head on.
(i was in the oncoming lane from him)
I have never seen a car or motorcycle do something that stupid. there is almost never a reason to drive on the wrong side of the road... even if there is an obstacle on your side of the road you have to yield to oncoming traffic.

I always treat cyclist with respect on the road, i keep my distance, pass only when its safe, but sometime its hard when a lot of them just have very poor experience driving on a road.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,263 times
Quote:
So much misplaced vitrol. How many drivers were killed last year because of pedestrians and bicyclists?

See:Cyclists Paving the Way for Ungrateful Drivers ← The Urban Country
When motorists are taxed by the mile in the near future, you won't be able to use that we pay more then motorists excuse. The excuse seems to entitle quite a bit of bicyclists out there that they can ride and do as they please because of paying supposedly more. Guess what, that maybe the straw that finally prohibits bicycles on roadways.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
More like the expression and discussion of a very widespread problem observed every day. If you think cyclists don't largely ignore the rules of the road to the degree that they endanger lives and property on a dailly basis, you must have your head buried in the sand.

There is no training required for operating a bicycle on a public road in my area, and it shows. It showed in every town in each of the 11 states where I've lived.

It's not about "teaching them". Cyclists can and do cause physical or property damage and there are reports of cyclists causing fatal injuries to pedestrians posted in this very thread. I have personally been injured by a cyclist who decided to use the crosswalk to get around traffic. I see the exact same refusal to obey basic traffic laws by cyclists every day, and I've personally seen two accidents this year alone caused by cyclists that resulted in fairly significant property damage.

Vehicles that operate on a public street should carry liability insurance at a minimum. At only $10 per year, it sounds like a steal to me and shouldn't be the cause of any financial hardship. If it's a problem, pehaps cyclists should try jogging for exercise or taking public transit....at the very least, use your bike on a dedicated trail setup by your local parks and recreation department with their budget.

You clearly have a problem with holding vehicular operators accountable for their own actions. Driving is a privlilage...it's not a right. Governments should offer training for bicyclists through their traditional driver's ed courses and require liability insurance and adherance to all traffic laws from each and every vehicle on the road.

Cyclists use as much lane capacity as any car. Because of their lower speeds, they are actually major road hogs that eat up lane capacity without paying registration fees, fuel taxes, or usage fees of any kind......and all with zero driver training.
That would put an end to the tyrannical pedal pushers, the problem with that is, we would have to over come the bicycle advocate groups, by starting a motorist rights group ( one would be needed in every state ), I would bet we could get them booted off the roads completely instead of trying to reason with them.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
That would put an end to the tyrannical pedal pushers, the problem with that is, we would have to over come the bicycle advocate groups, by starting a motorist rights group ( one would be needed in every state ), I would bet we could get them booted off the roads completely instead of trying to reason with them.
If it helps you to build a strawman in which to debate and dismiss, go right ahead.

Why should vehicle operators that recieve 0 training and are neither required to carry liability insurace nor pay fuel taxes or usage fees have the right occupy to lane capacity on public streets?

If you want cheap modes of transit, walk on the sidewalk or take a bus.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
If it helps you to build a strawman in which to debate and dismiss, go right ahead.
I am not dismissing anything, I agree with most of what you said. So chill out, no straw man necessary.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times
Here's the thing--why is there no push for the problems semis can cause? Are truckers a sacred cow or something?

Just as with bicyclists, there are good and bad truckers. Yet, in recent years, it's become open season on bicyclists like they're the biggest scourges around, when they aren't capable of killing and maiming even to the degree cars can, much less 18-wheelers. Yet you don't read tons of posts about all the times truckers have killed someone, or the times they get in the way, or how they sometimes drive on quiet & secluded roads tearing them up and making them smelly and noisy for the residents who live there, and how they sometimes do this even when there are signs expressly forbidding them.

Even so, you NEVER read posts about all of that, yet let one bicyclist one time somewhere do something the slightest big imperfect, and it's mud slinging time. That makes no sense.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:31 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Once cyclists start delivering our goods cross country...until then

Old 09-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Even so, you NEVER read posts about all of that, yet let one bicyclist one time somewhere do something the slightest big imperfect, and it's mud slinging time. That makes no sense.
Actually I see egregious examples of cyclists ignoring and disobeying traffic laws on a daily basis. I thought I made that pretty clear that most cyclists that I encounter either when driving my car or peddling my Trek either have absolutely no idea what the rules of the road are or ignore them completely.

Most of you are spoiling it for the few of us that try very hard to follow the rules of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Here's the thing--why is there no push for the problems semis can cause? Are truckers a sacred cow or something?

Unlike cyclists, truckers are actually required to complete training, carry liability insurance for operating their vehicles within the vehicular lanes on public streets, and pay extensive consumption taxes on their fuel.

They are definately not immute from criticism in my house. I'd happily and enthusiastically contribute to any discussion on increasing underride crash protection and limiting lane usage for big rigs. This discussion is about cyclists...not big rigs.

Last edited by tigerphan; 09-22-2014 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive