Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:03 AM

933 posts, read 1,477,810 times

Advertisements

It's just so aggravating. This morning I saw a biker run a red light. I see bikers run stop signs all the time (I've actually almost hit a biker because of this), but running a red light was the first time I've seen that. Now, provided, he was in the "biker's lane", but it's still just blatantly disregarding a red light. I also think it's really unsafe how when cars stop and leave space for other cars going perpendicular to them to go through while they wait for the light to change, bikers will hide on the other side of the car and speed through these intersections. I've almost hit a biker there too. Yet, I was literally stopped for 30 seconds yesterday waiting for two bikers coming the opposite direction to pass on a one-lane (two-way) street without thanking me.

I've just had enough of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
Bicycles or motorcycles?

Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Bikers ride motorcycles. However, things will probably get better as time goes on. There was a time when it was worse.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
They can - the simply don't, in many cases.

The reasons? The same reasons motorists can, but in many cases, don't.

*Speeding
*Running stop signs and red lights (not as frequently as with bikes, but with far greater consequences for others when it happens).
*Following too close
*Shallow turns (cutting the oncoming lane while turning, almost always because one hand is preoccupied with a phone so they're turning one-handed, and the vehicle approaching has to suddenly brake short to avoide a head-on due to the incursion)
*The motorcyclists who weave in out of traffic (because they're on a machine that allows them to violate the law in ways that those in larger vehicles simply cannot do)
*Those violating window-tinting and noise laws (because they can, and don't give a rip about the law)

They do it because they can and because they find it convenient - regardless of what sort of vehicle they're on.

They are all a concern. But you're thread seems to be a whine about bicyclists disguised as a general concern about safety and the law. And that's your real problem, bot bicyclists themselves.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:17 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,996 times
It's a peeve of mine as well. Bikers want to share the road equally with cars, but they seem to not want to obey the same rules.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:29 PM

656 posts, read 1,340,828 times
I'm with you on this one. I was running a 19 axle oversize load and coming around a turn when a motorcyclist figured he'd blow past both my pilot cars and the police car blocking the intersection, and cut inside my turn radius. His judgment was a bit off, and he paid for it with his life. Tragic, but it's hard for me to be particularly sympathetic.
We're constantly being reminded to watch out for motorcycles... sure wish someone would get the notion to remind them to watch out for themselves.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:37 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
It's just so aggravating. This morning I saw a biker run a red light. I see bikers run stop signs all the time (I've actually almost hit a biker because of this), but running a red light was the first time I've seen that. Now, provided, he was in the "biker's lane", but it's still just blatantly disregarding a red light. I also think it's really unsafe how when cars stop and leave space for other cars going perpendicular to them to go through while they wait for the light to change, bikers will hide on the other side of the car and speed through these intersections. I've almost hit a biker there too. Yet, I was literally stopped for 30 seconds yesterday waiting for two bikers coming the opposite direction to pass on a one-lane (two-way) street without thanking me.

I've just had enough of this.
We did not see the biker run the light. You left out many details, did he just speed thru it, did he stop then continue?

I can see you do not ride a bike. Imagine waiting at a light, see it cycle many times and not turn green for you. Most lights use the metal detectors in the pavement. Motorcycles do not trigger the lights! I have waited over 5 minutes to turn left, if a automobile comes behind you the light might change.
Many states are legalizing the right of a motorcycle to continue thru a light if safe after stopping.
True many bikers make a bad representation for the others. I do not split traffic, speed or many of the other offenses many do. I am too old to play that game and my bike is too big.
I did drop my bike a month ago from a chevy truck that crossed the line coming toward me. I made a quick choice between hitting the truck or the asphalt. In my county we have many head on collisions all year. Too many twisting roads in the mountain I guess.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,810 times
I am talking about cyclists not motorcycle riders. The cyclist I saw today did slow down at the red light. The more aggravating thing, however, is when you start to go at a stop sign and a cyclist just speeds on through.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:25 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
If they'd license bicyclists and make them learn the rules of the road it would make a difference and being allowed to ride on the public roads they should get a ticket for breaking the laws. If they were licensed and threatened to have that privileged license taken away maybe they would be more obeying of the laws and safety conscience.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:30 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
I cycle for sport not for transportation and when I ride, I always follow the rules of the road. It's a few bad apples that give cyclists a bad image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive