Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
When they say "Don't Mess With Texas" they mean just that. It's definitely not a good place to think you can surpass the posted speed limits, not even out here in wide open High Plains.
Don't do it in Texas. If you do. I suggest you carry about 500 in cash with you at all times.
Don't ask. You ll find out.

One time a while back. From houston to Dallas. I got pulled over three times, just because I was driving the wrong car.. No ticket. Just search and go. By state trooper, central texas drug enforcement agency, and I think a sheriff ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 06:27 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,998 times
Even though the limits are lower I would say NJ. I go 80 to 90 on the turnpike and other highways and consistently get passed

Old 09-25-2014, 06:55 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Even though the limits are lower I would say NJ. I go 80 to 90 on the turnpike and other highways and consistently get passed
I grew up in NJ. I'd actually agree with you there. I don't think there was a single time I DIDN'T hit 100 back in my HS days once I got on the highway unless it was rush hour. There are a ton of cars, but you can just weave in and out as long as traffic isn't really heavy.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:59 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
nobody whos never travelled in the great plains can appreciate how flat and straight the roads are. Here in South Dakota there is no points for speeding and the interstates are among the best Ive come across... both I-29 and I-90 have had major reconstruction projects some that were not needed... all concrete and buttery smooth... all across the state. if you speed more than 25 over the cop can.charge you with reckless driving if they want but you'll rarely run into many especially between Mitchell and Wall.

With that said not many locals travel super fast.. 80-85mph is the typical speed... I made it to Rapid city and back and only had 2 cars blow by going 100+.. both together.

Have not had good luck in MN though... people there drive slow and cops are more strict.

Driving in big cities where people are going 80+ bumper to bumper would take getting used too... I think Ill stay where Im at.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:57 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Bwahaha! Moving my brother back from Brooklyn, once we got to Jersey, I was running this uhual between 75-90mph all the way through Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, unless there was a hill, for the most part 85-90, not one effing cop was seen the whole trip. I still got passed by semis, if that tells you anything. There was this long doenhill grade I took at 95, and a rig passed us so quick, I thought it was heading for a runaway ramp.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:27 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
In Michigan the rule seems to be drive as fast as you possibly can. If no one is in front of you, the sky is the limit. Motorbikes seem especially prone to speeds in excess of 100 M.P.H. Nearby States (Illinois, Indiana Ohio) are noticeably slower.
I disagree. The cops in Michigan start looking at you when you exceed more than 10mph over the posted limit. Having lived in both Ohio and Michigan, I can say Michigan has more of the traditional small town speed traps especially in the tourist areas.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Wyoming just increased its speed limit July 4 on a few stretches of interstate to 80 mph. I read an article in the local newspaper that listed all the tickets issued statewide in those 80 mph areas. Ticketed speeds ranged from 81 mph up to around 100 or so. Yup. Eighty-ONE mph in an 80 zone! (Only one issued!)) I'd have been pissed! The good news is, fines are pretty reasonable for the first 10 mph over. Still, not worth it. You speed and get caught, it WILL find your state licensing dept. and WILL count against your record.
Don't forget that it's possible that the revenue genera....I mean, Wyoming State Trooper clocked him at a far higher velocity & decided to cut him a break.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:31 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
As in... having the lowest fines, impact on licensing and insurance rates?
GA. out here, you could go as fast as 14 over, and get a ticket and its not reported to insurance and no points are awarded on your record. other than residential and school zones, they won't even touch you until you hit 15 over. We do have a super speeder program though, anything over 75 on a two-lane highway or 85 anywhere will get you a thousand fine and some points.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:44 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
GA. We do have a super speeder program though, anything over 75 on a two-lane highway or 85 anywhere will get you a thousand fine and some points.
85 mph is super speeding? You guys surely have some low standards...LOL!

In CA everyone drives 80-85, that's the flow of traffic during off peak (peak is around 5mph LMAO!), super speeding would be over 100mph at least...

Old 09-28-2014, 07:54 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I disagree. The cops in Michigan start looking at you when you exceed more than 10mph over the posted limit. Having lived in both Ohio and Michigan, I can say Michigan has more of the traditional small town speed traps especially in the tourist areas.
I can give you an example of trying to get vehicles out of my way and passing them on I75 between Square Lake Road and I believe Sashabaw (spelling). I had a siren and flashers on and I had problems passing vehicles. Might have been it was unmarked and a black Tahoe, but still.

But overall, I found MI to have more drivers who disregarded the legal speed limit vs. in the west where the limits are higher and people tend to go only about five over.

In MI (in my personal vehicle) I could set the cruise at 75 and get passed all the time. In UT, I can set the cruise at 80 and driver from Green River UT to the CO border and no one passes me. Many will stay behind and keep up. When I hit CO, I do tend to slow to the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive