Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times

Advertisements

I've never heard anyone reputable say it hurts anything. An automatic will not go into a lower gear than what it's designed for; that is, you can pull the selector to the lower gear, but it won't engage until you've slowed enough for it to be safe -- safe for the transmission and safe for the engine (in not overreving).

It's always recommended when towing or hauling heavy loads down steep grades. If it's safe for that, it should be safe on the flats when slowing for a stop sign. I personally don't do it when driving an automatic, but I do it regularly with my pickup (6-speed manual). I've got 150K+ miles on my pickup and am still running with the original brake pads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 11:12 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,795,726 times
Is engine braking less safe since you don't have any antiskid function like ABS? Let's say you were on a wet or icy slope and a sharp turn?

Old 09-26-2014, 12:15 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Is engine braking less safe since you don't have any antiskid function like ABS? Let's say you were on a wet or icy slope and a sharp turn?
Depends how fast you're going. It could end up making your drive wheels spin if it's slippery enough. But then again, you shouldn't be travelling fast enough for it to be a problem in those conditions anyway.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Why would you downshift with an auto. I know that many autos have the option to shift like a stick but it's a fake shifting. If you want the real experience buy a stick. These auto shifters are lame . I have driven a 18 speed to a 5 speed stick, and there is no comparison.
And do you also like sitting by the woodstove, reading your newspaper by the flickering light from a kerosene lantern?

According to this article from a year ago, only 6.5% of the cars sold in American have manual transmission, and those are mostly either on performance cars or bare-bones budget vehicles, two extreme opposites on the scale. To me it's kind of anachronistic that cars are even sold with manual transmissions today, given how few people want them.

Driving a stick shift? Pros and cons of cars with manual transmissions - NY Daily News

Full disclosure: I learned to drive stick, and I can still grease my shifts going up or down the gears, and today I have a pick-em-up with a 4-on-the-floor, because I do. And over the years I owned 2 VW Minibuses and a Corvair Spyder with manual transmissins, and have some very fond memories from back then.

But Lawdy, the idea of commuting everyday in bumper to bumper traffic, as I did for many years all over the country, in anything but an automatic transmission car just gives me hives. I hate having to keep putting down my coffee.

And absolutely, yes, down shift with an auto transmission if you need some engine braking, like coming down a steep hill, but just around town, I wouldn't play Juan Fangio with either one,

Old 09-26-2014, 01:29 AM

13,582 posts, read 15,647,495 times
I'm not certain why several posters have attacked the OP simply for asking a reasonable question -- what's the deal with some of you? Be nice!

OP: If you can download the owner's manual in a .pdf file, I'd do so, and then do a search for "downshifting" and see if there's any useful info.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:10 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And do you also like sitting by the woodstove, reading your newspaper by the flickering light from a kerosene lantern?

I do.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:47 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I do.
Me to I'm old school. I also had a 59 vw, a 64 Renault , a 85 f150, a ford Festiva , all manuals and loved them. I miss the three on the tree.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:00 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,286,352 times
I've camped on the East side of Sonora pass on 108 in CA for 40 plus years. It goes from 9600' to 7000' in a few short miles with grades up to 27%. I've always been amazed at the ignorance of those who refuse to use the transmission for compression braking and they overheat and glaze their brake pads. I always go slow using low gears and brake intermittently so not to overheat my brakes.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Why would you downshift with an auto. I know that many autos have the option to shift like a stick but it's a fake shifting. If you want the real experience buy a stick. These auto shifters are lame . I have driven a 18 speed to a 5 speed stick, and there is no comparison.
I do it ll the time, it's called engine braking

Not everyone can choose an automatic, nor are we impressed that that you think they are lame

Old 09-26-2014, 05:38 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'm not certain why several posters have attacked the OP simply for asking a reasonable question -- what's the deal with some of you? Be nice!
The typical over compensating male. I'm more of a man because I drive a stick

Last edited by NHDave; 09-26-2014 at 05:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive