Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
In countries where people drive on the right, the gas fill belongs on the left side. It is natural for people to pull up on the right side of the pump.

?
No, it's not.
It makes way more sense to me that if I pull off the road, I pull off to the right.
If I park at the curb, I park on the right.
The gas cap should be on the right.
THAT is what's natural.
Not parking next to something by the driver door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:42 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but why does the Volt have a gas tank? Do Teslas have gas tanks too? Obviously I haven't done much research on these cars, so I'm confused...

The Volt has a small gas engine to generate power when the batteries are low or in other conditions. I is technically a plug-in hybrid whereas the Tesla is a full electric car.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:47 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The Volt has a small gas engine to generate power when the batteries are low or in other conditions. I is technically a plug-in hybrid whereas the Tesla is a full electric car.
Wow I did not know that. I always thought the Volt was like the Mitsubishi i-Miev. No wonder it's so much more expensive! So it's more like a Prius-Plugin than anything else?

Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I used to have a Dodge Colt Minivan it had the fillup on the passengers side, i thought it was a rather dumb idea as you couldnt open the rear sliding door if you were filling with gas which meant any one in the rear couldnt get out till the fill was complete, many times some one would open the door while a fill was in progress slamming the door into the gas nozzle.
Looked like this Mitsubishi version..
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Expo_LRV_1.jpg
I don't know why, but I just thought of this ad. My mom had a Colt when I was growing up too.

BTW, I don't see the gas tank on the passenger side in that ad.
Attached Thumbnails
Why the gas fill on left or right?-ad_dodge_colt_quad_1985.jpg  

Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, it's not.
It makes way more sense to me that if I pull off the road, I pull off to the right.
If I park at the curb, I park on the right.
The gas cap should be on the right.
THAT is what's natural.
Not parking next to something by the driver door.
How often do you run out of gas and have to fill up on the side of the road? Really?

Left side makes more sense. It's more convenient and safer. When in a gas station, you exit the car on the side towards the gas pump and remain on that side. Right side ones mean you have to exist the car on the side facing other traffic at the station, putting you at risk. Worse is that it means you have to walk around the car to fill up, putting you in the same situation that someone described with the rear fill doors-in a position to be hit by someone (OK some idiot) that drives into your car at a gas station. Not to mention that it simply means you have to walk further to fuel up.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
How often do you run out of gas and have to fill up on the side of the road? Really?

Left side makes more sense. It's more convenient and safer. When in a gas station, you exit the car on the side towards the gas pump and remain on that side. Right side ones mean you have to exist the car on the side facing other traffic at the station, putting you at risk. Worse is that it means you have to walk around the car to fill up, putting you in the same situation that someone described with the rear fill doors-in a position to be hit by someone (OK some idiot) that drives into your car at a gas station. Not to mention that it simply means you have to walk further to fuel up.
I am talking about what feels natural.
Not actually gassing up on the side of the road.
Unless you are a fast-food junkie, it never feels natural to pull up to something on the left of you.
I agree there are some plus points - not having to walk around the car is one of them.
Which I think is cancelled out by sometimes almost hitting your door into a structure near the pump.

And maybe gas stations are just bigger where I live, because I have never felt like anyone
was going to run up on me or drive over me or even come anywhere close to me with their cars
while at a gas station.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
This should explain why.

“There are a number of factors that determine whether the gas cap is located on the left or passenger side of the vehicle,” said Faye Roberts, communications director with GM . “many cases it comes down to how best to integrate all systems into the available ‘real estate’ on a vehicle.”

GM positions an arrow next to the fuel gauge pointing to the side the gas cap is located in all its new cars and trucks.

“The body type or style of the vehicle determines the amount and configuration of the space available for passenger use in the cabin as well as the various systems that are needed with a vehicle – including the fuel system,” Roberts added.

“Then, decisions about the type of power train and drive-line affect the way that the available space in the vehicle is used – for example where there is sufficient space for the fuel tank itself.”

“Additionally, when designing the layout, engineers make it a priority that the fuel filler be located as close as possible to the fuel tank,” she said.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
it would bother people if they had to fill up more than 1 car using opposite sides so you'd have to remember which is which. Who else's wife makes them fill their car? Raise your hand.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
BTW, I don't see the gas tank on the passenger side in that ad.
Look a little closer its just back of the rear wheel above the side marker light.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:21 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I think GM is driver side only now.
Actually I think the majority (but not all) new GM vehicles are passenger side. They seem to have a good mix on each side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive