Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:45 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times

Advertisements

I took over use of my parents 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport when I got my license at 16 (licensed in Oct 2000) but sometimes had to drive their oldest car a couple of times, a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Got to drive to school almost every day my senior year in high school with the 1999 Jeep. My parents didn't let me bring a car to college right away because we had a fight before I went off (they were thinking of letting me take the 1994 one down). In the Spring of 2004, my parents no longer needed the 1999 Jeep so they let me bring to college and keep on using. They still technically owned it til early November 2012, when I purchased a car on my own a lightly used 2010 Nissan Altima. For those 8 years, they paid for almost all of the maintenace and gas (expect for the last 3 years, after college they made me pay them back for the registration and town hall tax). The Jeep was great but towards the end ate too much gas and maintenance issues. My Altima was really good but it was unfortunately totaled this September after a deer ran into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 03:32 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,869 times
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 260 V8 with a two-barrel carb. I feel much safer in my Honda Civic.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
My first car was the very first Mustang ever sold in the state of Idaho!

My Dad bought it for me a month before the Mustang's introduction in late 1963. He was good friends with a local dealer. The Mustang cost $2,000 even, and part of the deal was 2 registered Appaloosa mares, one pregnant. The dealer was an Appaloosa fan, and we bred them on our ranch.

I couldn't pick the car up for a month. The first Mustangs that went to all the dealerships were all base models, as the price was highly promoted. The Mustang was first intended to be an affordable sports car, and the first delivery, which was only 1 car to a dealership, all sold out within 2 weeks. The interest in them was incredible; I've never seen anything like it since.

As far as I know, the first were all white hardtops with a 6 cylinder engine, a 3-speed floor mounted shift, and only the interior colors differed. The bucket seats were a big deal at that time, as only much higher costing cars had them. Mine had no radio, so I popped for it- it was a $100 option.

For a semester, I was the coolest guy on the U of Idaho campus. It was a good, reliable car, and had none of the problems the first off the line usually have. My younger brother inherited it when I went into the Navy, and I came out with a new GTO I bought while in the service, so the Mustang was his from then on.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:39 PM

66 posts, read 84,164 times
My first car was a blue, two door 1977 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight with a 403. It had been sideswiped on the right side, had a hairline crack in the dash, missing the passenger side door panel, and the power antenna was cracked, but it purred like a kitten, never leaked, never smoked, never used oil. I named it the Titanic, got it in 1991 and owned it until 1994. It ran and drove like new. Comparatively, I like my current 2006 Buick Lacrosse better. More creature comforts. But, to all the times that Olds got me home safely in snow, other brutal elements, and to all the good times in it, I give it a

Old 11-05-2014, 02:49 PM

66 posts, read 84,164 times
Hi 69GStage1......your post caught my eye. Out of the fifteen cars I have owned, my favorite car, bar none, was my '78 Cutlass Supreme...it was brown, same inside with buckets and console shift and matching Olds rally wheels. It had been a 260 car at birth, but a friend of mine and his dad, had a '72 Delta 88 that ran fine, but was rusting pretty badly, so they canned the 260 and put the stock 350 Rocket 2 barrel in from the Delta...into the Cutlass also went a brand new Moog front end...rebuilt rear end, new brakes and hardware, new raised white letter Uniroyal Tiger Paws, dual exhaust with glasspacks, all fluids changed.....zero issues with the car, no leaks, no smoke, no oil use...drove and ran laser straight. They swore that engine and 350 trans had over 300K on them but you couldn't tell. The memories, eh? Take care.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
1968 Pontiac Catalina, black with red interior.
White roof, auto....sorry can't remember cubic inches....but
my high school boyfriend could tell ya.
Then, my dad gave me his '65 Galaxy 500...vrooom.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:33 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
1995 Toyota Celica ST hatchback, with a manual trans. I drove that poor little red car within an inch of its life. I pegged it at its speed limiter on San Jose freeways. I drove it flat-out on twisty mountain roads on the way home. I drove it without the air filter and revved it to redline with the pedal on the floor. I intentionally went sideways in the rain. I'm pretty sure I'll never have that much fun in a car again, because I now know how completely stupid and reckless I was and no longer drive like a lunatic, but I regret nothing.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:02 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
BRAVO!
I 2nd that. Always nice to know some people still have their first car.

My first car was a 1966 Dodge Dart GT. I was very glad it had the V-8 option (273-cu-in) being both a Mopar and muscle car enthusiast. It had bucket seats and console-shift automatic transmission. Being a car guy, I did some mods... 4-bbl Carter 500 cfm carb, Holley aluminum intake manifold, electronic ignition and shift kit for the Torqueflite transmission. Also had dual exhausts and 3.23 gears installed (it had 2.93s originally). It could run 40-60 mph in 4 seconds. I had a lot of fun driving that car. I wouldn't mind owning another one. Thinking back, I should have eventually put in a 340-cu-in V-8 engine. That would have been something! That hi-po engine in a 3,180 lbs car!

As for the question is it a better car than what I have now (I own 3 cars). Hard to decide; maybe a tie.

Here is a photo of the Dart:

Old 11-06-2014, 01:14 AM

18 posts, read 17,881 times
The first car I drove was Chevrolet Lumina from 1996 or 1997 year. Very good and reliable car.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:38 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I still have my first car.

16 years old, back in 1997. I bought a 1988 Mustang 5.0L

Still have the car, although now it's a weekend car i've lovingly restored. But it's pretty awesome to take it for a ride and have people ask me about it and I tell them it's the first car I bought and learned how to drive on when I was 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive