Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 03:08 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,278 times

Advertisements

Don't the Dutch hate Germany? Yet you are singing their praises. They certainly do in the football (soccer) theater.

I'll offer an explanation about the US companies hitting a low point. American car makers have some of the best engineers in the world. Key word here is engineers. When the US makers' bean counters and executives GTFO of the way and actually let their engineers work without interference or push back then you get some of the best cars in the world. For example, the Corvette ZR1, the original Dodge Viper ACR, Ford GT amongst others. However that is a rare occurrence as they makers try to nickel and dime everything that is why even the high end cars have cheap interiors as they only have access to the cheap material already there.

The best part is that the cars are cheaper than the competition and it punches above their weight but because of this and the absolute fact that Europeans uses cars as a way to express superiority over Americans. Seeing an American car compete and do better (whether in reviews or on a track) is seen as an act of defiance henceforth they hate it.

However, the executives of these companies are imbeciles. They market and push what is easier for them and they cut corners. Hence the trouble.

TLDR? It's the bean counters and not the engineers. Unlike Europeans and Japanese who tend to give at least more freedom to their engineers.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 10-03-2014 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 03:40 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I was replying to somebody who had to drag the Netherlands into the discussion all the time when we were talking about German vs American cars. I am not saying we have much of a car industry or that we are good at engineering in general. Actually, I would say we are pretty bad at building or engineering things. That is the difference between us and you Americans, you have to keep up the appearance you are good in everything while you are just as horrible in engineering and building things as we are, possibly even much worse.

I'm still waiting for an explanation why nearly all American car manufacturers went nearly bankrupt despite building 'superb' cars which are 'in demand all over the world'.
Someones jealous. Like I have been saying all along. Netherlands likes to sit on the sidelines and point fingers. US goes out there and does things.

Better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all. Guess you guys are just scared of failure. That is your problem.

Yes, Germans make very good cars. They are very good at engineering. What have the Dutch done?

Old 10-03-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I was replying to somebody who had to drag the Netherlands into the discussion all the time when we were talking about German vs American cars
No, this started with European vs American cars. Somehow the Dutch are taking credit for these European cars. What a joke.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I was replying to somebody who had to drag the Netherlands into the discussion all the time when we were talking about German vs American cars. I am not saying we have much of a car industry or that we are good at engineering in general. Actually, I would say we are pretty bad at building or engineering things. That is the difference between us and you Americans, you have to keep up the appearance you are good in everything while you are just as horrible in engineering and building things as we are, possibly even much worse.

I'm still waiting for an explanation why nearly all American car manufacturers went nearly bankrupt despite building 'superb' cars which are 'in demand all over the world'.
Build or engineer something worth talking about first than we can talk

Old 10-03-2014, 04:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,307 times
After reading this I havve decided Obama must be an automotive engineer as well as constitutional scholar/professor so the job of designing a new car from the ground up should be a breeze for him. Heck, he can even run the assembly line all by himself.

Obamalet would be a great car company...not!

Old 10-03-2014, 04:46 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,291,111 times
The number 1 selling car in the world is built by a domestic manufacturer. When will foreign be as good?

Old 10-03-2014, 04:52 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:

For the same reason other companies from Main Street to Wall Street went bankrupt or close to it, the worldwide economy took a massive ****.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:23 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For the same reason other companies from Main Street to Wall Street went bankrupt or close to it, the worldwide economy took a massive ****.
Europe got drawn into this crisis too and its car manufacturers are doing fine, except maybe Fiat, Opel and Peugeot. Some manufacturers like VW, Mercedes, and BMW were at that time selling as many cars as never before. Here in Europe we consider American products including cars inferior and I haven't seen any convincing argumentation so far in this thread which make me think otherwise. The many attempts to change subject in this thread to unrelated things like airplanes, the Netherlands or other things make me believe Americans themselves realize this very well and have really no response to this.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:56 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Someones jealous. Like I have been saying all along. Netherlands likes to sit on the sidelines and point fingers. US goes out there and does things.

Better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all. Guess you guys are just scared of failure. That is your problem.

Yes, Germans make very good cars. They are very good at engineering. What have the Dutch done?
Made wooden shoes and noodles.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Europe got drawn into this crisis too and its car manufacturers are doing fine, except maybe Fiat, Opel and Peugeot. Some manufacturers like VW, Mercedes, and BMW were at that time selling as many cars as never before. Here in Europe we consider American products including cars inferior and I haven't seen any convincing argumentation so far in this thread which make me think otherwise. The many attempts to change subject in this thread to unrelated things like airplanes, the Netherlands or other things make me believe Americans themselves realize this very well and have really no response to this.
Let's see, you do the same thing many of the teenagers I teach do, you compare the top model of a car maker with the entry level, mass market one from another.

So, your arguments really fall flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive