Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:27 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,959,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Even if the alternator was GONE completely it's not going to damage the engine, all the alternator does is charge the battery much like the air conditioner only cools the air, you don't ruin the engine not having the air conditioner compressor in place.
You might only be able to drive a half hour with no alternator before the battery dies since everything will be running off the battery only.
Ever heard of a serpentine belt that drives more than one accessory?

including the alternator, water pump, A/C compressor, and power steering pump, all from one belt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 05:35 AM

2,131 posts, read 3,558,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelwasher View Post
Ok further info and thanks for all the replies, I am really stressed out over this whole matter. I have been driving my wife to work and having to leave my work a half hour early each day.

To clarify the car is a 2010 kia 4cyl.....
What MODEL Kia please?

There are many Kia 4 cyl models and they do not all use the same engine.

If you provide full information, I can look up what belt(s) drive(s) what.

Thanks from Don in Austin

Old 10-04-2014, 06:08 AM

2,131 posts, read 3,558,467 times
Quote:
Even if the alternator was GONE completely it's not going to damage the engine, all the alternator does is charge the battery much like the air conditioner only cools the air, you don't ruin the engine not having the air conditioner compressor in place.
You might only be able to drive a half hour with no alternator before the battery dies since everything will be running off the battery only.
Let me lay this out for you:

Alternator mounting is defective.

Alternator shifts out of position.

Belt is tossed.

This belt also drives the water pump.

Engine overheats.

Engine damage ensues.

If the OP would tell us the exact model and engine option I could confirm alternator and water pump share the same belt. Last I looked, all we had was 2010 Kia.

Don in Austin

Old 10-04-2014, 07:33 AM

4,619 posts, read 12,227,333 times
The OP should follow Don's advice and contact their insurance company. This garage is responsible for any damage that has occurred from faulty installation.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:54 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,777,393 times
Quote:
It also provides electricity for the ignitionsystem, such as coilpacks and distribitors. The battery runs se accessories, but its really there for rhe starter.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:07 PM

9 posts, read 11,921 times
Yes, the water pump was on the same belt system on a kia soul 2.0.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:14 PM

What a hassle it is not having you vehicle.

Went to Home Depot to get a paint sprayer and had a hard time getting large box in wifes compact. Then it turns out I need some lumber to replace some dry rot, no roof rack to haul stuff.

On vacation this next week with no car to go out prospecting either.

All those days that are so uneventful sure seem like great days now. Lifes little tests always remind me, NASA says no matter how bad a situation is the wrong choice can make it much worse..lol

Thanks for all the replies, I am really liking this forum!!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 AM

The repair shop is telling me I need a new engine. They say I have emissions gasses in my coolant and that the head gasket and heads may be cracked. I saw them test pressure in my radiator and it does not hold pressure. Looks like the plastic filler pc is bad as plastic pcs stuck to radiator cap. Basically the cap doesnt seal on the plastic below it.

Shop still playing with me saying they are only responsible for the alternator belt and that the overheating killed the engine and they did not overheat my engine....grrr sooo frustrating... direct cause and effect of installing a known bad bolt and not advising me to not drive it back to there shop.

Will be heading back for another round of insisting they cover all repairs and picking up my vehicle. I asked them if it is running and ok to drive 400 yards home and they said yes...like I have not heard em tell me that before... what do you guys think am I opening up a can of worms by driving it very short distance home and then 3 miles to a different shop?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:53 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,606,108 times
I would not drive the car anywhere. Period.

Deal with their insurance. If the belt came off, then yes the faulty alternator installation directly lead to the overheating of the engine because the water pump stopped working due to the belt coming off. It's as simple as that.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,167,850 times
Definitely don't drive it. I tend to believe there is 50/50 responsibility. Yes, they did shoddy work and the belt misaligned and came off. On the other hand, you knew about it and drove it anyway and overheated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive