Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Advice appreciated.

I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 with about 56k miles on it. Its suspension is shot. I've had estimates ranging from $900 to $2000 to fix it. It has minor but VERY annoying electrical problems. The locks sometimes fail. The rear driver's side window falls open during highway driving...as in it goes down on its own and I can't raise it with the power window button and have to stop, use both hands to shift the glass back up into position, then keep going. It's VERY annoying, and from what I've heard is an expensive repair not covered by Hyundai's 10-year warranty. It also makes a faint "twang" noise whenever I make a hard turn.

It gets crappy gas mileage; I average maybe 21 miles per gallon with combined city and highway driving. It's a hog. The brake lights constantly stop working and I'm always having to get them fixed. Etc., etc., etc.

Basically I'm fed up with the damn thing. However, it's only 7 years old and I only paid it off 2 years ago. If I bought another car I'd look for a gently used one first; I don't like buying new because I think it's a ripoff. I've had an estimate of its trade-in value come in at about $5k, but that was without them knowing about the rear window problem. I'm sure any dealership could fix that problem in less than an hour quite cheaply, but they'd ding ME on its value hardcore.

Thoughts?

I just want a nice car where everything works and that gets good mileage. And doesn't sound like old springs whenever I drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 09:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
The suspension is a wear item. Any car you buy and drive long enough eventually will need shocks/struts. That's not really a good reason.
The mpg will vary with your driving style and how you maintained the vehicle. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter and gave the vehicle a tune up?
The electrical issue can be a bit harder to trace but it's not the end of the world. When you say the windiw falls do you mean it just falls down? It may simply be justthe rollers fell off the motorized track. Again it's fixable.

What is the replacement cost of that vehicle? Whatever that cost, that's what you compare against your repairs. And whatever you buy used the warranty ( if it has one) is not gonna cover any wear/tear items.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The suspension is a wear item. Any car you buy and drive long enough eventually will need shocks/struts. That's not really a good reason.
The mpg will vary with your driving style and how you maintained the vehicle. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter and gave the vehicle a tune up?
The electrical issue can be a bit harder to trace but it's not the end of the world. When you say the windiw falls do you mean it just falls down? It may simply be justthe rollers fell off the motorized track. Again it's fixable.

What is the replacement cost of that vehicle? Whatever that cost, that's what you compare against your repairs. And whatever you buy used the warranty ( if it has one) is not gonna cover any wear/tear items.
I know the suspension is a wear and tear item, but I've talked with other owners and they say theirs didn't fail nearly as quickly as mine has. The car has been maintained properly.

These are just the current issues with the car. It's had nothing but annoying issues like this almost the entire time I've owned it. My last car was a Honda Accord. It was 5 years old when I bought it and 10 when I handed the keys to my ex-husband. I drove it into the ground and never had any issues like this whatsoever with it. The only time it went to the shop aside from regular maintenance was for body work when my ex dinged it twice when he was learning how to drive.

I miss that car.

This one's a piece of crap.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:35 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
You have a V6 so 21 mpg is about what you're going to get unless you drive it frugally.

I'd say find a Hyundai dealership that is willing to work with you and make some repairs. It's hard to see how they wont cover safety issues like windows and locks not working. You may have to get firm with them and speak to someone in corporate.

For whatever they wont cover (suspension), I'd ask around (Facebook/CL) and find someone that will make the remaining repairs at a reasonable price. If you need to spend $1k on a 7 year old car, that wouldn't really be unheard of. If $1k repair bills start coming every year, then you might want to consider unloading it.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:35 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,859,287 times
Who diagnosed the suspension being shot, I would get a 2nd opinion. A lot of shops nowadays would just automatically recommend new suspension for cars that have 50-60K miles on it. True that your suspension might not be as good as new, but if the car was not abused and driven on very rough roads, it should be in decent shape.
The rest of the stuff, window and electrical problems, could be fixed.

To answer your question, most would say if a car is consistently costing more than $1200 a year in unexpected repairs to keep on the road safely, then you should probably replace it. There are other factors though, sometimes the car is not serving its purpose for the owner/their needs have changed, or they don't feel safe with the car, so then you go ahead and replace it. It is your money after-all.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:41 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Who diagnosed the suspension being shot, I would get a 2nd opinion. A lot of shops nowadays would just automatically recommend new suspension for cars that have 50-60K miles on it. True that your suspension might not be as good as new, but if the car was not abused and driven on very rough roads, it should be in decent shape.
This is true. A lot of service departments will load you up on unneeded repairs or preventative maintenance.

How does the car ride? Would you have thought something was off with the suspension had they not said something?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
I agree that the issues mentioned are not that big a deal. My power door locks were not working and it cost me $200 parts and labor to get them fixed. And that was not an easy job either. Much more work than the window. I also don't understand what is "shot" about the suspension. It can only mean shocks and struts. No way it is going to cost 2 grand. That said, it appears that the OP just wants a different car. No point arguing about it. New cars aren't a rip off. You want to know what ARE rip offs? 3 year old used cars with 50,000 miles selling for 2 grand less than new.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:00 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
I can tell just by your tone and expression used that you are sick and tired of looking at this POS. Time to turn it in and get something new, something you'll be happy with and more enjoyable. Let's face it we all spend a good portion of time in traffic, why not make it enjoyable?

The problems with the vehicle are minor IMO, if you were to get them fixed would the vehicle be worth more or would it still retain the same value? If the latter trade it in.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:07 AM

I say it's shot because three mechanics have told me it is, plus it's noisy; it rattles, squeals, and squeaks over even the tiniest bump. It also is very bumpy, much more so than it used to be. I didn't curb-check it or anything either, it just gradually happened over time.

I wouldn't expect it to wear out to this condition so quickly. It's been like this for a year. Two mechanics told me it wasn't even safe to drive it, but another told me that they're full of crap. All three told me that the sway bar and control arms need to be replaced, whatever those are.

I really DON'T want to buy a new car, but I also HATE my current car.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:36 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Have you done ANY research at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive