U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2007, 11:49 AM

355 posts, read 1,814,063 times

Advertisements

What happens if I don't get my oil changed every 3K?

How long can a car go without getting an oil change?

What would happen if I never got my oil changed?

Just wondering.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 12:01 PM
miu

13,010 posts, read 22,156,229 times
Imo a car can skip an oil change entirely once in a while, but it depends on the type of engine involved, what rpm range it functions at, the driving conditions. If the miles are gentle highway miles, no big deal. But if you are an aggressive driver, then I would be more diligent on the changes. But I tend to keep my cars forever and for several 100 thousand miles of use. I also autocross in some of them. One car has even seen track time.

I also like to change the oil every three months regardless of the mileage factor.

As to never changing the oil, that would be very bad. Over time, the oil gets denser with teeny metal fragments and impurities. And the volume shrinks. Finally you get a dense sludge coursing through the inside of your engine. Not good at all for the health of the engine. It would definitely shorten the life of your motor.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:44 PM

530 posts, read 1,165,732 times
Changing the oil is of course the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to keep your engin in good condition for the life of the vehicle. I think 3000 is a little low for modern engines, you see manufacturers now recommending 4500-5000. Dealers of course want you in more often to recommend other things to sell you. I personally do stick to 3000-3500. If i change it myself, Ill do the oil and not the filter (only because it makes a mess of my driveway), but in reality the filter is just as important as the oil. Every other time, Ill always do the filter.
What happens in modern cars isnt so much as the oil gets contaminated (which it does, but you have a filter), but the additives added to help your motor, wear out. Remember the oil you turn in is recycled, dino oil really doesnt wear out per se. It gets contaminated, and the additives wear out. Not changing the oil by some regular schedule just is a horrible plan.
Even well functioning engines usually burn some oil, and if you were to not change it, sooner or later you would run low or out of oil and kill the engine. Also not changing the filter will cause it to get contaminated, which causes it to go to a bypass mode, so you have no future filtration, again bad.
Stretching out the intervals would be better than skipping one. Not changing the oil is just plain a bad plan. The engine might not fail short term, but it will not last as long as it should.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
miu

13,010 posts, read 22,156,229 times
Nash - When your lease is up, any thoughts of buying and keeping your SUV?

Old 12-30-2007, 03:42 PM

4,214 posts, read 11,877,433 times
Well, I've never tried it, but I knew of a guy that claimed he went 10k without an oil change on his 92 Ford Tempo. At 10k the engine blew up.

Then a friend of mine's dad had a 96 GMC Sonoma with the 4.3 litre engine. His dumbass sister drove the truck supposedly 10k miles without an oil change when the engine decided to spit 2 rods out of the engine.

You engine oil has 4 jobs; helps cool the engine, cleans the engine, seals and of course lubricates. If the oil is old and broken down it cannot do any of the 4.

If you never got your oil changed, eventually the engine would seize up and stop running and/or send connecting rods and associated parts thru the block, rendering the engine useless and most likely unrepairable.

I have seen 2 times where someone ran their engine to a 6000 mile interval before an oil change. This in my opinion is bad.

On a typical engine I don't recommend any longer than 4500 miles at most. If it's a turbocharged engine I strongly don't recommend going over 3000 miles.

I say that because on a turbocharged engine it is highly crucial that you keep clean oil to the turbo or it will overheat and fail in short order.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:53 PM

2,306 posts, read 4,693,634 times
Sorry...but I guess I'm going to bust the myth here. With my last car, I went 3 years (so maybe 50K miles) without an oil change. Hmmm...I'm not really "proud" of that. But my engine didn't blow up or seize or anything like that. It ran perfect engine-wise...until it was totaled.

Of course, I would put more oil in it though.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:26 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,599,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Sorry...but I guess I'm going to bust the myth here. With my last car, I went 3 years (so maybe 50K miles) without an oil change. Hmmm...I'm not really "proud" of that. But my engine didn't blow up or seize or anything like that. It ran perfect engine-wise...until it was totaled.

Of course, I would put more oil in it though.
As I recall from another post somewhere, don't you live in an always warm tropical climate? That might have something to do with your luck. If you ever live in Missouri, I would not advise you try that.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:57 PM

530 posts, read 1,165,732 times
At 10k Id be surprised at a modern engine blowing up. Unless of course it had been neglected as well in the past. Changing the oil on a turbo engine is even more important as someone said. I know someone that went 22k on a high revving Acura Ingetra GS-r of all things, and we flushed the oil a few times, and all was well. You could see the baked on crap on the valve train, but the engine was none the different. The crap baked on the valve train would have stopped me from buying the car were it for sale. An engine treated like that would start burning oil and smoking at a much earlier point in life. If the car with 50k and no oil change had an oil leak, you 'were' changing the oil. Other than that, im surprised any car could take that. Adding oil definately saved it. I think it depends on the type of car too, I think some makes have better engines built with better tolerances than others. This of course means they technically 'should' be more dependant on proper service. A bigger engine with a v8 of course has more oil to circulate and contaminate, whereas a little 4 cyl may be harder on the lesser amount of oil. Many factors. Simple advice, change the oil at least at 5k to not have problems down the line that are avoidable. If you live in place with seasons, this is even more important. In florida, its just hot so we use the same oil year around.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:02 PM

355 posts, read 1,814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Nash - When your lease is up, any thoughts of buying and keeping your SUV?
Nope. I am now solely a leaser. I stopped buying cars a few years ago. Leasing works better for me. I had many bad experiences when I bought cars. Everytime I bought a car, it would give me trouble everytime I got close to having it paid off.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:12 PM

19,332 posts, read 22,326,419 times
Bought a used '72 Opel wagon in 1978. Excellent shape, but when I pulled out the dipstick I found what amounted to "almost sludge". Drained about 1/2 out, filled it up with kerosene and drove the freeway across town and back. Drained and refilled. I imagine the oil was original when I got it.

Ran great until I traded it in 1987.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive