Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:17 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
And yet when you go to a track event. Lots of Vettes, lots of Porsches, tons of Mustangs and rarely a Camaro.

Just where are you getting these comparisons from because in the real world Camaros rarely show up on a road course.

BTW in the Pro racing series where both Mustangs and Camaros compete the Mustang is a consistent winner.

The car mags favor the biggest advertiser. You can believe the magazines or you can go to the track and see for yourself like I do.
And Racing has a lot to do with manufacturer support. Chevy definitely favors the Corvette over the Camaro. If the Mustang had a "Corvette" big brother in the lineup things would be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:21 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I don't understand the switch from V6 to turbo4 without real MPG gains. Is this turbo4 package lighter than the V6 resulting in better front to rear weight ratio? Is this turbo4 cheaper than the V6? I don't really have a problem with turbo4s if there's a clear advantage over a simpler and more reliable engine like the V6. When performance and MPG numbers are so close, I'll choose a V6 with regular gas over a turbo4 with premium gas. Look at higher end competitors who've made the switch to turbo4. I just don't understand the reason for the switch. Keeping the turbo4 in the models below GT won't bother the gearheads. Such people wouldn't bother with a V6 Mustang anyway if they could afford a GT or above. Younger buyers aren't so jaded against turbo4s. I'm not in the market for a Mustang due to wife's spinal condition making it difficult for her to get in and out of low sitting sports cars, but if I was I wouldn't have a problem with a turbo4. However, I'd choose the V6 over the turb4 for the potential of greater reliability and not having to buy premium gas.

Does anyone know if Ford's turbo4 has sensors to make changes to the system so it can run safely on regular gas?
We Drove The 2015 Ford Mustang: It's Still Best With A V8 And A Stick

According to that article, the engineer says it can run all day on 87 octane but the car loses 13% of its power! That means your 310hp car then makes about 269hp. 269hp pulling around 3600lbs...V6 is probably the better option if you're running regular.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:33 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
I used to race shifter Karts when I was younger & watching SCCA during the eighties you had people racing Audi's, Mustang Corvettes & even Mercury's they had the Mekur XR4Ti which did very well. Even the Capri (which I miss) Again one didn't see a lot of Camaros like someone else posted Chevys money was put into the Corvette. But Audi & their Quattro's kicked arse until they were banned. Even now Chevy puts money into the Corvettes.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
I have a VW air cooled TURBO engine....9:1 compression using 87 gas that can run 15lbs of Boost while street driven.

Now if I were to Drag race this car then Premium gas would be used.

A Turbo that compresses the air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber is never lean while the higher Octaine helps in better flame flow and cooling.

(VW mechanic)

Old 10-17-2014, 12:27 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The V8 in all fairness will run circles around the 4 & the V6. The 4 has good midrange torque but no high RPM power. If given the choice I would take the V6 still has decent enough power & less weight. The Mustang is too heavy for the 4. Sure it's less weight but still a boat. The idea of the 4 is that it was supposed to get good mileage but with the car being so heavy that didn't fly so well. So all things being equal give me the V6 the V8 is out of my budget.
My thoughts exactly when it comes to a 4cyl mustang. Its not a small nor light car. I have nothing against a turbo 4cyl but it has to be in the right car and I dont think the mustang compliments that power plant. I'd much rather have the more compact Focus ST with its 2.0 liter turbo 4.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
we have an '11 v6 AT convert, and have pulled better then 30mpg with it. I was actually a bit surprised by Ford adding the ecoboost 4 to the mix on the new car as I dont see any real gains (talking stock) over the v6.
"Real" gains aren't as big a concern right now to the automakers as "theoretical gains" as measured by EPA ratings. Every mpg they can add to their EPA score helps. The industry is every bit a regulatory-driven market as it is a consumer-driven market these days, maybe even more so. Nobody was clamoring for a turbo 4 Mustang, but here it is anyway. And now that it's here it'll probably sell well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Mileage and performance are close enough either way; perhaps the turbo 4 offers more "tuning" capability but at that point why not just grab a v8 if you're gonna be modding the motor for more hp.
Because a) the 4-cylinder is almost 200lbs lighter, and b) even after a professional tune will cost thousands less than the equivalent GT.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:32 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Real" gains aren't as big a concern right now to the automakers as "theoretical gains" as measured by EPA ratings. Every mpg they can add to their EPA score helps. The industry is every bit a regulatory-driven market as it is a consumer-driven market these days, maybe even more so. Nobody was clamoring for a turbo 4 Mustang, but here it is anyway. And now that it's here it'll probably sell well.

Because a) the 4-cylinder is almost 200lbs lighter, and b) even after a professional tune will cost thousands less than the equivalent GT.
Is the 200lbs going to make up for the 125hp and 80lb-ft of tq defecit that the 4cyl has though?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:48 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
The thing is....someone can also tune the V6 and have a car faster than the 4cyl for thousands less. 330hp shouldn't be too difficult and the V6 model is lighter.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Is the 200lbs going to make up for the 125hp and 80lb-ft of tq defecit that the 4cyl has though?
You completely missed the context of my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The thing is....someone can also tune the V6 and have a car faster than the 4cyl for thousands less. 330hp shouldn't be too difficult and the V6 model is lighter.
It's much easier to get substantial horsepower gains out of an engine that already has forced induction and is built to withstand it, such as forged rods, forged pistons, piston-cooling oil squirting, etc., all of which the Ecoboost has. Direct injection (which the Ecoboost also has) might be a limiting factor... but there is already some speculation and evidence that Ford left plenty of injector capacity on the table for tuners to take advantage of. Plus it sounds like the Performance Pack is not an option on the V6 this time, so if you want factory upgrades to go with your engine tune, you'll need to opt for the Ecoboost (or V8 if you're looking to build a monster car).

Old 10-17-2014, 07:49 PM

221 posts, read 335,238 times
Isnt the point of the Mustang to get the V8...unless you are a rental agency? I gotta say, I need to look into the Mustang again to see if it turns my crank and doesn't stickershock me away from it. And I don't see them multiplying like cockroaches with barcode stickers all over the windows again, lol.

Any word if they became the Camaro that you need a shoehorn to get into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln