Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:16 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlF9Uz6hhIY

Which of these six would you choose? If pure track day driving, I'd choose the RX7. Daily driver? I'm tossed between the Porsche and the Supra. Though 21 years separate them from today's cars, their performance still holds up well. What they don't do well is fuel economy but they didn't have to worry about new CAFE standards and high gas prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 AM

148 posts, read 523,632 times
I had a 93 Corvette just out of high school, so I have a soft spot for the C4 Corvette. But today, I probably would go for the Porsche 968 or maybe RX7... Corvette is porbably the cheapest all rounder.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
I had the Stealth, a vastly underrated car. Out of all of them though, the RX7 and the Porsche had the best handling characteristics and feel. They are the only ones I could drive out of the 6 now in stock form and enjoy. Shame they discontinued the RX7 in favor of the horrible RX8.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:43 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,815 times
Well I'm biased towards Porsches, but I was never a huge fan of the 944/968 appearance. I'd probably go with the vette if I had to choose a 1993 model, just based on looks alone. Now if they threw a 911 into the mix it would be no contest!

Old 10-18-2014, 11:18 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
I always liked the Refreshed Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4/Dodge Stealth TT AWD I always wonder why they never got the same aftermarket tuner crowd support the DSM era Mitsubishi Eclipse since would of been alot easier to get more power and performance out of then the Eclipse/Talon.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:53 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I always liked the Refreshed Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4/Dodge Stealth TT AWD I always wonder why they never got the same aftermarket tuner crowd support the DSM era Mitsubishi Eclipse since would of been alot easier to get more power and performance out of then the Eclipse/Talon.
Cheaper, more bang for the buck. They hit similar walls. At around 350-400 whp (more the lower end for the DSM and upper end ofr the VR4/RT Turbo) you started breaking everything. You either babied it (no launching), replaced stuff frequently (cheaper on the DSM), or pretty much replaced the entire drivetrain either proactively or as parts broke. Again, cheaper on the DSM. Since the VR4/RT Turbos were hauling an extra 700-800 pounds around and started breaking everything at about the same point the DSMs did and were much more expensive to begin with they never were that popular.

They did the creature comforts way better but didn't really have a performance advantage so you had selection bias. The people willing to modify a car mostly went with the one that gave them the best bang for the buck. The ones that wanted a more all-around GT car didn't want to modify them too far. Basic mods perhaps, but most stopped before they got into the replacing the stock clutch with something heavier that chattered, broke transmissions, and compromised everyday driveability.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:31 PM

127 posts, read 282,324 times
Would've liked to see the NSX included,here.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:18 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Cheaper, more bang for the buck. They hit similar walls. At around 350-400 whp (more the lower end for the DSM and upper end ofr the VR4/RT Turbo) you started breaking everything. You either babied it (no launching), replaced stuff frequently (cheaper on the DSM), or pretty much replaced the entire drivetrain either proactively or as parts broke. Again, cheaper on the DSM. Since the VR4/RT Turbos were hauling an extra 700-800 pounds around and started breaking everything at about the same point the DSMs did and were much more expensive to begin with they never were that popular.

They did the creature comforts way better but didn't really have a performance advantage so you had selection bias. The people willing to modify a car mostly went with the one that gave them the best bang for the buck. The ones that wanted a more all-around GT car didn't want to modify them too far. Basic mods perhaps, but most stopped before they got into the replacing the stock clutch with something heavier that chattered, broke transmissions, and compromised everyday driveability.
The Stealth/3000GT engine is good til about 700hp on the stock block. They could do 500-550 hp all day long without worry to the engine, that's what mine had, just a turbo upgrade.

The Achilles heel of the car was the output shaft for the AWD in the 91-93 cars that had the 18 spline shaft. On a hard launch, you could snap it even at stock power levels. The 94 and up went to the 6 speed transmission with a 25 spline shaft that was fine for modding.

The DSM's on the other hand, weighed about 400 lbs less (comparing turbo AWD DSM to turbo Stealth) BUT they had a 22 and 23 spline shaft which was robust enough to handle some serious power with less weight to move. Why on earth Mitsu thought the 18 spline was enough for an even heavier car is beyond me.

I've modded both platforms, but for bang for the buck, the DSM was king compared to their big brothers.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:49 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
Impressions: Formula of Motorweek has changed very little; the styling of this era of cars has held-up very well; there cars were expensive for the time....

Old 10-18-2014, 05:01 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I had the Stealth, a vastly underrated car.
I really liked those when I first started seeing them circa 1991. Never knew what killed that line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive