Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:08 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

I wonder if car makers put any effort to make replacing parts easy and less time consuming. We have all heard of horror stories like changing spark plugs that requires emptying half the engine bay. They must have a system where every piece goes. I wonder if repairability is a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
On the contrary, making it easier takes money out of their pockets. The labor charges for the dealers can be more profitable than the car sales, and they also make money selling special tools to independent mechanics. Many of us that used to do all of our own car repairs are now limited to basic oil changes and maybe brake pads since we don't have all of the expensive electronic equipment to diagnose the 30+ computer systems in the modern vehicle.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Simple answer, HappyRider . . . OBVIOUSLY NOT.

Check the engine compartment of any "newer" vehicle and you'll agree.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:54 PM

671 posts, read 889,926 times
There's a feeling that design is always toward their long term profit. Where parts from older cars can't be transplanted into new ones requiring the purchase of a new component to making home repairs as impossible as they can..I don't believe that as being all true...Meeting government imposed regulations and being competitive along with the mechanical/computer.digital goodies people want and need has changed the picture...

Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
On the contrary, making it easier takes money out of their pockets. The labor charges for the dealers can be more profitable than the car sales, and they also make money selling special tools to independent mechanics. Many of us that used to do all of our own car repairs are now limited to basic oil changes and maybe brake pads since we don't have all of the expensive electronic equipment to diagnose the 30+ computer systems in the modern vehicle.
Making it more difficult increases warranty repair costs. I doubt there's a simple answer to the question, there's a constant battle between designers/engineers and the bean counters. There are always compromises to be made. i.e. There may be a design item that decreases manufacturing cost but increases potential warranty costs, you can bet it's studied before a decision is made. For the average man on the street a half cent or penny savings per vehicle seems laughable, when making a large volume of vehicles, it's not.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:47 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
There is a difference between increased complexity of engines and making it difficult to swap a part. I don't hold it against car makers to have incorporated computers and sensors in their engines. I do question why they had to embed the oil filter in an impossibly tight space or make that last spark plug reachable only from underneath the car. I think ease of serviceability will have returns for the company too. The word will get out.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:58 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
But honestly, how many do their own car repairs? Most women I know barely know how to pop their hood. The GM3800 was easy to work on from what i heard, but its still a smaller percentage who would work on them compared to taking it to a shop.

Kinda like PC repairs, the easiest things to replace, most people were scared to touch in fear of breaking things.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:22 PM

656 posts, read 1,340,540 times
Nope. Not for cars, and certainly not for Class 8 trucks.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:25 AM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
Yeah, I agree that it seems designers seem to win out and therefore cars become very difficult to service at times.

You could start a thread dedicated to service "horror" stories.

I really do think you could aggressively market a car that is easy to service....imagine if Toyota was advertising it's Corolla as reliable....and easy to service.

I think that's appealing and there would be market for that.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:49 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Simple answer, HappyRider . . . OBVIOUSLY NOT.

Check the engine compartment of any "newer" vehicle and you'll agree.
Every new car I've bought in the last 10 years was easy to work on. My newest, a 2014 Accord Sport has a huge engine bay and a small 4 cyl engine. I can reach everything in there without a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
But honestly, how many do their own car repairs? Most women I know barely know how to pop their hood. The GM3800 was easy to work on from what i heard, but its still a smaller percentage who would work on them compared to taking it to a shop.

Kinda like PC repairs, the easiest things to replace, most people were scared to touch in fear of breaking things.
The 3800 was only okay to work on. You still needed to disconnect the 2 upper wishbone motor mounts so you can rock it forward and get to the rear plugs. Then they were still quite difficult to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive