Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,342,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I wonder if that's part of it. We're just accustomed to a certain number of gears. I've been driving since 2007. It's basically been 5 speed or 6 speed. My dad's car is a clutch (05 TL) and it has 6. I can't imagine getting too many more gears than that with a clutch. Seems like too many to run through just to get to 60.
I'd be willing to bet about 75% of automatic passenger vehicles on the roads today are 5-Speed or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 07:43 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,497,934 times
I'm not a big fan of the cvt transmission but I'd rather have that than a 9 speed auto that's CONSTANTLY shifting.

Friend of mine has a 2014 Infiniti q50. Great car but very sensitive and finicky tranny. Its a 7-speed auto, but under normal driving conditions the tranny shifts under the slightest touch of the gas pedal. Its constant up and down shifting. Wasnt fond of it.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 AM

358 posts, read 881,161 times
There is so much demand for the 8 and 9 speed automatic transmissions ZF cannot keep up with the demand. They are continually expanding their Graycourt North Carolina facility and expect to be producing 1 million transmissions a year before long. Clearly there is something more to these transmissions than just a gimmick or novelty.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:41 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I'm not a big fan of the cvt transmission but I'd rather have that than a 9 speed auto that's CONSTANTLY shifting.

Friend of mine has a 2014 Infiniti q50. Great car but very sensitive and finicky tranny. Its a 7-speed auto, but under normal driving conditions the tranny shifts under the slightest touch of the gas pedal. Its constant up and down shifting. Wasnt fond of it.
The issue here isn't so much the number of gears but how the transmission is programmed. I enjoy reading car reviews and after reading multiple reviews on the same vehicle you start to get an idea that some 7+ speed transmissions are programmed better than others, specifically with regard to hunting for gears, etc. I think within a few years these kinds of problems will get ironed out for most vehicles.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:49 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,390,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Except 13 and 18 speed transmissions in semis are not in the majority. Most fleets run ten speeds, and some run 9C transmissions (which can be converted to 13 speeds to increase the vehicle's resale value when they're sold). Entry-level carriers especially aren't keen on running the 13s, 15s, and 18s, which use an additional auxiliary box to compound the transmission, as a driver who doesn't know what they're doing with it can very easily tear it up.
Fortunately, 18's are not too easy to tear up. I had occasion to drive a brand new 600hp full setup log truck to a show. I was most interested in what the dash computer displayed as mileage and it took me about 60 miles to realize i missed top gears. Hauling heavy is where these gears become necessary. With that much hp mt it could drive like a 4sp. Many years ago I was driving a tanker up a steep grade w very little power an a limited dual range tranny. I dropped the driveshaft when almost rolling backwards downshifting to low range.
6 gears in car seems like enough but I look forward to what engineering progress the future brings.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:07 AM

656 posts, read 1,332,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
Fortunately, 18's are not too easy to tear up.
Put a highway driver in a brush driving job, and you'd be surprised at the ease they manage to accomplish this. Two entirely different - and non-compatible - styles of driving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive