Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:51 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times

Advertisements

Some are but to most they are just old...

After all... just about every old taxi cab in Germany is a Mercedes... not all that much prestige comes to mind when thinking of taxis.

Not far from where I grew up is an old gated estate... sits all by itself and the owner had a chauffeur and she went everywhere in her old Mercedes 600 Limo back in the 60's, 70's and 80's and it was impressive... at least the combination.

You also have to remember that when the bread and butter Mercedes first started arriving in numbers many questioned why they had Volkswagen Upholstery...

My Real Estate Broker brother drives a 1984 300 Turbo Diesel and has for 25 years... he still gets asked if he would sell it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,574,185 times
I thought you were talking about Mercurys.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,999,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Stuff, cars, and clothes can indeed reflect who they are as a person. You'll get a completely different idea of who a person is if you see them driving this:

The stuff doesn't CHANGE who they are, it REFLECTS who they are. Pretty simple ****ing concept.
But I've seen people I thought were good folks driving MBs and people I thought were total butt plugs driving the very same cars.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Me too! I was expecting a chopped '49 with a nice flathead V8 and bubble skirts

Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 AM

6,255 posts, read 16,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w140owner View Post
I have a w140 s320, that I love. I changed the wheels to amg rims and the car is perfect condition. Would you still think this car gets respect or just an old piece of junk?
Some old Mercedes models are still prestigious. An S320 however, wasn't really prestigious even when new, it was the lower model designation of the S class. An S430 doesn't quite make the cut either, it's only the 500/600 that could qualify as having prestige, at least where I'm from. Doesn't mean the S320 isn't a nice car, but if you're looking for respect for driving it, I think you'll be disappointed with what other people think about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Are you talking about respect from Mr. Jones on your street? I'm pretty sure the general public thinks an old Merc is a piece of junk, even a 90's V12 SL600. It has nothing to do with the car's capabilities or rareness, but everything to do with the fact that it's not the current generation. If it doesn't look "new" or if it's not an obvious classic from the 50's then it's junk.
Sorry, this is just false. There's a lot of older guys driving around still in their R129 SL class cars that are pristine. That model was made from 1990 to 2002. Some models that have not been taken care of and have been driven into the ground could qualify as "junk", but there are many excellent examples still on the road that still look every bit that they were a $100k car.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,885,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But I've seen people I thought were good folks driving MBs and people I thought were total butt plugs driving the very same cars.
Yeah, I think stuff reflecting who you are is a bit strong of a statement. An expensive purchase can indicate that someone is looking to show off in an effort to make themselves feel important or it can mean that the purchaser values what they are getting for the money over a competing product or any number of other things.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Yeah, I think stuff reflecting who you are is a bit strong of a statement. An expensive purchase can indicate that someone is looking to show off in an effort to make themselves feel important or it can mean that the purchaser values what they are getting for the money over a competing product or any number of other things.
Yeah, I used to know 2 different guys who probably owned about 5 dozen motorcycles between them, some real rarities in the group. One knew the history of them all, who designed many of them, and other interesting stories about them. When he'd show them to you he was just really excited about sharing his knowledge and collection with you, the other was like "I own this and you don't".

I know which one I gravitated towards.

Last edited by burdell; 10-22-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 12:20 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Me too... had to scroll down to see it wasn't...

Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 PM

16,547 posts, read 17,310,562 times
I've been the other way round- whenever I've seen Merc mentioned in various threads I assume Mercedes only to find that it refers to a Mercury.

Indeed I thought that Merc63's name meant he had a 6.3 litre Mercedes!

Old 10-22-2014, 01:47 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,746,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Some old Mercedes models are still prestigious. An S320 however, wasn't really prestigious even when new, it was the lower model designation of the S class. An S430 doesn't quite make the cut either, it's only the 500/600 that could qualify as having prestige, at least where I'm from. Doesn't mean the S320 isn't a nice car, but if you're looking for respect for driving it, I think you'll be disappointed with what other people think about the car.

Sorry, this is just false. There's a lot of older guys driving around still in their R129 SL class cars that are pristine. That model was made from 1990 to 2002. Some models that have not been taken care of and have been driven into the ground could qualify as "junk", but there are many excellent examples still on the road that still look every bit that they were a $100k car.
To you and me some older cars are nice, but I am saying it's junk from the perspective of Mr. Jones living down the street and 99% of the general population. I think that's what the OP was asking because he's concerned about what other people think when they see him driving down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart