Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:25 PM

9 posts, read 23,318 times

Advertisements

I have a w140 s320, that I love. I changed the wheels to amg rims and the car is perfect condition. Would you still think this car gets respect or just an old piece of junk?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-23-2014 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: change mercs to Mercedes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 03:41 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Would you still drive it if it wasn't "getting respect" anymore?

That's what counts.

If it's in "perfect condition" and performs to your needs, then what difference does it make if somebody else doesn't care for it?

or is the pleasure in your ownership based solely upon your concern what others think about your image?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Would you still drive it if it wasn't "getting respect" anymore?

That's what counts.

If it's in "perfect condition" and performs to your needs, then what difference does it make if somebody else doesn't care for it?

or is the pleasure in your ownership based solely upon your concern what others think about your image?

you know, you can have "getting respect from others" as ONE of your criteria without it being a sole criteria or even the main criteria. Nothing wrong with that. Why do you think it has to be one or the other? Hmm?

When I build a custom car, it's primarily because it's what I want and what I like, but getting respect from my peers for building it does factor in slightly, as do the smiles, waves, and comments of appreciation from others when driving it around. It's not the MAIN reason, but it IS a factor. It's much of the reason I don't dress like a slob, and keep my hair cut, and bathe, too. Respect from others as part of a first impression IS important to the human condition.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
you know, you can have "getting respect from others" as ONE of your criteria without it being a sole criteria or even the main criteria. Nothing wrong with that. Why do you think it has to be one or the other? Hmm?

When I build a custom car, it's primarily because it's what I want and what I like, but getting respect from my peers for building it does factor in slightly, as do the smiles, waves, and comments of appreciation from others when driving it around. It's not the MAIN reason, but it IS a factor. It's much of the reason I don't dress like a slob, and keep my hair cut, and bathe, too. Respect from others as part of a first impression IS important to the human condition.
'
Who someone is as a person is far different than whatever 'stuff' they own, and 'stuff' can't change who they are as a person.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM

148 posts, read 523,221 times
I personally respect and clean/well maintained older vehicle, more so then a modern one.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Are you talking about respect from Mr. Jones on your street? I'm pretty sure the general public thinks an old Merc is a piece of junk, even a 90's V12 SL600. It has nothing to do with the car's capabilities or rareness, but everything to do with the fact that it's not the current generation. If it doesn't look "new" or if it's not an obvious classic from the 50's then it's junk.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

IF the OP had any other considerations, they didn't mention them as a key factor in their pride of ownership.

What you do and care about for YOUR cars wasn't the question, Merc63. Nor mine ... and I don't drive new(er) cars at all.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
'
Who someone is as a person is far different than whatever 'stuff' they own, and 'stuff' can't change who they are as a person.

Stuff, cars, and clothes can indeed reflect who they are as a person. You'll get a completely different idea of who a person is if you see them driving this:

vs seeing someone driving this:

vs seeing them driveng something like this:

or this:

The stuff doesn't CHANGE who they are, it REFLECTS who they are. Pretty simple ****ing concept.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
IF the OP had any other considerations, they didn't mention them as a key factor in their pride of ownership.
YOU were the one making the assumption that it was a SOLE factor, however. Asking if they still get respect does NOT indicate it was asked as a sole factor, so making that assumption that it was either none or all is a flaw on your part.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w140owner View Post
I have a w140 s320, that I love. I changed the wheels to amg rims and the car is perfect condition. Would you still think this car gets respect or just an old piece of junk?
The vast majority of people will just see an old Mercedes. This is true with all cars but particularly with luxury brands as part of the ownership experience is the badge and the reason people care about the badge is because of the perception that its more expensive than a similarly sized and equipped vehicle from a non luxury manufacturer and elevates your status. Luxury vehicles tend to depreciate rather quickly so driving an old one doesn't carry the same weight and many people will think you bought an old one because you couldn't afford the new one.

That said, I'm a car guy so I can respect a clean looking older vehicle. It's not nearly as exciting as a new car but who really cares what other people think. Enjoy the car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart