Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 AM

51 posts, read 57,440 times

Advertisements

He tried to convince me to go awhile back and I turned him down because I wasn't quite ready for another car and now he is asking again. My current car still runs alright but is over 200K miles now.He knows one of the salesmen and claims we can get a better deal if we go together. His reasoning is that if they don't give us a good deal then we both walk.Is this true? Or could it be that he is trying to get HIMSELF a better deal by referring me to the dealership? Also he claims that I can get a really low interest rate through the dealer (better then the rates I found) but I'm a bit leery about filling out an app and giving them my salary. If it gets back to my friend then that could cause problems if I make more than he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 09:03 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,063,711 times
In this case I think your instincts are good. Let him buy his car. You buy yours. When you are ready for it.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:04 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,920,901 times
I guess it is possible a dealer may cut a better deal if they knew they are getting two sales at once. Sort of a volume discount I suppose.

That said, if I were you, my concern would be about whether I wanted or needed a new car, then identifying the style of car I wanted and work down to which exact make and model. Then work on a deal. I would not just walk in and say "hey, my buddy here is buying a Brand X Sport, so make it two" either.

Look for and buy a car when your ready. Don't let your friend push you into a decision. The little bit of extra discount you might get is not worth it.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM

148 posts, read 520,964 times
This sounds like more of an headache on so many levels. Even if you picked the exact same car and salary was the same... He may love the quoted numbers and you tell them to eat sand, now your known as a cheap scape. Worse if you do make more in reality and he's buying a Civic and your looking at an Accord. I would go with him if your interested in the make, but would not do any shopping with him there.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,225,472 times
If my friend were looking to get a new car, I'd go to the dealership with him and help him get a good deal on the car, because he's my friend and that's what friends do.

And there's no way for your salary to get back to him if that's all you're worried about. You don't have to buy a car, either.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I guess it is possible a dealer may cut a better deal if they knew they are getting two sales at once. Sort of a volume discount I suppose.

That said, if I were you, my concern would be about whether I wanted or needed a new car, then identifying the style of car I wanted and work down to which exact make and model. Then work on a deal. I would not just walk in and say "hey, my buddy here is buying a Brand X Sport, so make it two" either.

Look for and buy a car when your ready. Don't let your friend push you into a decision. The little bit of extra discount you might get is not worth it.
Yes that's what he said, volume discount thing. I will need a guy eventually since I have a lot of miles on it (over 200) but they are mainly highway miles and the car is only 10 years old. I'd hate to add such a large expensive if I could get another year or two from the car though. He tried pressuring me into going with him a few months back and I turned him down and now he's trying to do the same again. It is a good time to buy late model new cars so I think that's why he wants to do it now but I'm not so sure it's in my best interest. The car he's thinking about getting is the same kind of car that I've been thinking about getting though.Also he works on cars and has mentioned something about possibly buying my current car so he could re-sell it (rather than me trade it in) so there's another possible deal.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall-Florida View Post
This sounds like more of an headache on so many levels. Even if you picked the exact same car and salary was the same... He may love the quoted numbers and you tell them to eat sand, now your known as a cheap scape. Worse if you do make more in reality and he's buying a Civic and your looking at an Accord. I would go with him if your interested in the make, but would not do any shopping with him there.
We'd be buying the same model car Yep I could see this backfiring. If we ride together to the dealer and he likes the deal and then he and the dealer would be pressuring me and I wouldn't be able to walk.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If my friend were looking to get a new car, I'd go to the dealership with him and help him get a good deal on the car, because he's my friend and that's what friends do.

And there's no way for your salary to get back to him if that's all you're worried about. You don't have to buy a car, either.
I'm not sure how well he knows the sales guy. They could be old friends for all I know and he could give him that info.I could get around that by arranging my financing but it's possible the dealership could have a lower rate.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:43 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,911,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny2412 View Post
I'm not sure how well he knows the sales guy. They could be old friends for all I know and he could give him that info.
That would be grounds to get the salesman fired, and I'm sure he would know that.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,213,372 times
I don't see the harm.
Just because you go with him does not mean you have buy.

And to start off, I would not necessarily tell the salesperson up front that you are buying 2 cars. I would throw that card at the very last point. NICE DEAL... NOW WHAT IF I BUY AS WELL AND GET TWO?????

However, I would make sure that you are in need of a new car first and that dealership provides the make/model you want. But it seems like you are not in need or uncertain. Please do not make an emotional buy... #1 reason for buyer's remorse.

Financing should be done separately.. if they shove you in the same room at the same time, just tell the dealer that you would rather have it done separately so there is no way your friend will know your income. If the salesperson blabs... as NHDave mentioned, that should be a good reason for termination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive