Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:21 AM

51 posts, read 58,068 times

Advertisements

I have a car with almost 220K miles, still runs alright. It needs some minor repairs to get it in tip top shape (passenger window, possibly struts, a couple tires). The body is starting to rust on the bottom.

The car has lasted longer than I expected and now I'm at the point where I'm trying to determine whether to keep driving it or replace it. It has a lot of miles but isn't super old at 10 years old. The car is paid off and doesn't really have much trade in value (surely less than $1000 when factoring in the repairs)

If I worked closer to home, it would be a no brainer, I would keep it, but my daily commute is 100 miles (50 miles each way) and I'm a bit leery of a possible breakdown, either on the expressway or through a not-so-great area that I drive through for a few miles each day. I do have roadside assistance with my insurance company that will tow up to 15 miles and I was thinking about getting a AAA membership that would tow up to 100 miles.

I'm trying to decide whether to keep or sell. I was leaning toward keeping it but keep going back and forth. This is usually a good time of the year to buy since dealers are trying to get vehicles off the books between now and the end of the year. What would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Sounds like you are trying to decide between the more economical option of doing some repairs and keeping it, versus spending a little more to have more longer term peace of mind of having newer.

If it were me, I would consider the recent history of the car, and how much longer I want to get out of it compared to the costs of doing the repair.

Either way, it's a personal decision you have to make depending on your knowledge of the car, how much anxiety you have over a possible breakdown, and your current financial state to potentially replace it.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:29 AM

929 posts, read 2,723,125 times
Can you provide us more info please?
Make and model of current vehicle?
MPG ?
Does this vehicle still fit your current needs?
How is the interior?
How rusty? Estimate to fix ?
Have you kept up with maintenance, such as fluids, plugs, etc?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:31 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Does it run well?

And by that i mean have you put money into maintaining it? Routine maintainence, new battery, charging system in good shape, good brakes, etc etc.

Or did you do the bare minimum to get to 220K and now everything is a ticking timebomb?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:42 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
If it's just the things you mentioned (passenger window, possibly struts, a couple tires) then I'd be tempted to keep it. If it's anything powertrain-related, I wouldn't take a chance with a 100-mile commute in winter.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:47 AM

148 posts, read 523,482 times
My general rule is never buy over 150k miles, never keep over 250k... I would say drive it, but I would keep my eye out on an deal and jump on it.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:48 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny2412 View Post
I have a car with almost 220K miles, still runs alright. It needs some minor repairs to get it in tip top shape (passenger window, possibly struts, a couple tires). The body is starting to rust on the bottom.

The car has lasted longer than I expected and now I'm at the point where I'm trying to determine whether to keep driving it or replace it. It has a lot of miles but isn't super old at 10 years old. The car is paid off and doesn't really have much trade in value (surely less than $1000 when factoring in the repairs)

If I worked closer to home, it would be a no brainer, I would keep it, but my daily commute is 100 miles (50 miles each way) and I'm a bit leery of a possible breakdown, either on the expressway or through a not-so-great area that I drive through for a few miles each day. I do have roadside assistance with my insurance company that will tow up to 15 miles and I was thinking about getting a AAA membership that would tow up to 100 miles.

I'm trying to decide whether to keep or sell. I was leaning toward keeping it but keep going back and forth. This is usually a good time of the year to buy since dealers are trying to get vehicles off the books between now and the end of the year. What would you recommend?

I am in the same exact predicament as you, except I'm at 210k and round trip commute is only 75 miles.

I was all about trying to find something preowned to replace mine then decided since I keep my vehicles at least 10 years I should just start with something new. Then I started pricing new vehicles and now I'm at a stand still. I really don't know what to do now.

Vehicle is a '01 VW Jetta TDI , things it needs is spring,shocks, struts within the next 20k miles I'd say. Due for a timing belt in 40k miles , brakes soon, need to replace the glow plugs /harness before winter hits and maybe a front end component or so.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Since the trade-in value is so little, I would buy a new one but keep it, cancel all but the liability insurance and drive it until it drops, just around town on errands and as a backup. Your personal safety is important, but it's worth keeping to get as many miles as you can out of it to save wear/tear on the new one. I have a beater 17 years old with 170k that I use only to drive 3 miles daily to the park & ride and back, which is the worst kind of driving on a car, so I hate to use one of the newer ones for that. It's also come in handy to have a spare when one of the kids wants to borrow my truck to move or they buy something big.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:02 PM

613 posts, read 944,375 times
What's the make/model of your car? And what new or used cars are you thinking of buying?

If you could stomach putting the old car on CL; my "guess" is it could bring more than $1K, maybe 2-3 times that ("depending")......

Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 PM

148 posts, read 523,482 times
I just sold my grandmothers pile of crap for $600, listed it for $999. It leaked oil, overheat quickly, amongst many other things. I eventually got tired of dealing with people coming and going expecting an gem, despite me putting an detailed ad up. When the buyer came and fully understood what he was getting, I told him $600 and you can have it. He seem so excited like he got the deal of the century...

Like I said, start shopping and once you come across a deal buy it (be it next week or next year). Commute the new car and drive the old car during the weekends with an local ad up. If I can get $600 from an worthless POS, you can easily get more then a $1,000 from a good running car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive