U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:36 PM

7,677 posts, read 24,975,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Having been rear ended a few times, the week or so of neck/back soreness would rather me NOT want to be rear-ended.

I've personally never veered out of the way of someone barreling down on me, but there have been a few times on the highway where someone is screeching to a halt behind me and veers to the left or right into the breakdown lane to avoid hitting me. It's kinda why i prefer to ride in the far left or far right lane in heavy traffic. Someone has a "bail-out" route. Unfortunately, i've witnessed a few people going way too fast occasionally take it.
What I usually see is that people pile into the far left lane, so it has an 'accordion' effect with constant changes in speed. That's what causes accidents. Instead, I stay in the middle lane which often isn't the fastest, but is always the smoothest with infrequent changes in speed even when traffic gets thicker around me. And sure enough, almost every accident I see happens either in the far right lane with merging traffic, or the far left when someone didn't brake fast enough and got caught in the accordion effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:43 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
What I usually see is that people pile into the far left lane, so it has an 'accordion' effect with constant changes in speed. That's what causes accidents. Instead, I stay in the middle lane which often isn't the fastest, but is always the smoothest with infrequent changes in speed even when traffic gets thicker around me. And sure enough, almost every accident I see happens either in the far right lane with merging traffic, or the far left when someone didn't brake fast enough and got caught in the accordion effect.

Amazingly, my experience has been a little different. I've been rear-ended 3 times (not seriously) and all 3 times have been in the middle lane of the highway.

I agree that the left lane tends to fill with people who want to zip over into it and then screech on the brakes.

Like said before, I've personally never veered into the left or right breakdown lane myself, but have watched other vehicles in my rearview mirror do it.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,504,876 times
[quote=SETI_listener;37056767]Well, I'm in the camp of better to be right and dead. It looks stupid and is probably against the law. Cant they just make sure the headrest is correctly set and brace for impact? At least that wouldn't be so noticeable.[/QUOTE]
True but the loud bang might call attention to them.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:27 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,868,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Well, I'm in the camp of better to be right and dead. It looks stupid and is probably against the law. Cant they just make sure the headrest is correctly set and brace for impact? At least that wouldn't be so noticeable.
Well, genius, in all fifty states, it is a driver's obligation to avoid a collision, not to cause one. So regardless of what you think, the law would seem to disagree on what you should do.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 PM

1,499 posts, read 2,310,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Having been rear ended a few times, the week or so of neck/back soreness would rather me NOT want to be rear-ended.

I've personally never veered out of the way of someone barreling down on me, but there have been a few times on the highway where someone is screeching to a halt behind me and veers to the left or right into the breakdown lane to avoid hitting me. It's kinda why i prefer to ride in the far left or far right lane in heavy traffic. Someone has a "bail-out" route. Unfortunately, i've witnessed a few people going way too fast occasionally take it.
This. I've been rear ended a few times, and usually don't have time to get out of the way. That said, I'd rather not get rear ended. It's a pain, and there's way too much crap in my rear bumper that would have to be fixed. On the plus side, I've got a trailer hitch back there that might keep the damage down for light bumps.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 PM

5,916 posts, read 9,053,237 times
In the UK everyone is required to have drivers' education go get a license. It's standard, throughout the country. (One of the problems of driving in the US is that every state has different vehicle laws.) This (veering onto the shoulder - NOT veering into a different traffic lane) is a standard collision-avoidance maneuver that is taught to UK drivers.

DH can (and has) done this maneuver with good result. I'm a USA driver. I'm not sure I even could do it, knowing about it and having seen it work. I'd be too worried about someone else coming up the shoulder, even though that's as rare as hens teeth.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 PM

389 posts, read 450,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Well, genius, in all fifty states, it is a driver's obligation to avoid a collision, not to cause one. So regardless of what you think, the law would seem to disagree on what you should do.
You are wrong. That is a maritime law, not a motor vehicle law. Following the motor vehicle code / traffic laws to the T will prevent all collisions except being rear ended, i.e. the true 100% fault collision. These drivers acting on a hypothetical scenario, are creating traffic hazards for real emergency use of the median/shoulder... and it looks silly.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:49 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
Quote:
You are wrong. That is a maritime law, not a motor vehicle law. Following the motor vehicle code / traffic laws to the T will prevent all collisions except being rear ended, i.e. the true 100% fault collision. These drivers acting on a hypothetical scenario, are creating traffic hazards for real emergency use of the median/shoulder... and it looks silly.
Avoiding an accident looks silly? (avoiding death looks silly? )

Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM

3,306 posts, read 9,009,036 times
Quote:
These drivers acting on a hypothetical scenario, are creating traffic hazards for real emergency use of the median/shoulder... and it looks silly.
Apparently I acted correctly, I have twice removed myself from being rear-ended by taking evasive action, quickly moving to the shoulder. Both times involved traffic flow that came to irregular complete stops. One time I would have been hit by the driver directly behind me, the other time, the driver behind me was hit by the driver behind him/her and was shoved up into where my car. I have a right to use the shoulder for my own safety if I deem it so. It works for me.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:57 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,544,610 times
Quote:
Well, I'm in the camp of better to be right and dead. It looks stupid and is probably against the law. Cant they just make sure the headrest is correctly set and brace for impact? At least that wouldn't be so noticeable.
You think it is better to be rear ended than not??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or