Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 PM

389 posts, read 616,544 times

Advertisements

What is up with drivers who think they are about to be rear ended so they veer the vehicle into the shoulder or the median? Happens all the time on freeways that begin backing up. Does this work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 04:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Most drivers do who do this do it because they're about to rear end someone.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Most drivers do who do this do it because they're about to rear end someone.
No, these drivers wait for the car to come up behind them then swing away.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:11 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
Yes, it works. It gives the car behind a few extra feet for braking, and avoids a collision which is no fun for either driver.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
What is up with drivers who think they are about to be rear ended so they veer the vehicle into the shoulder or the median? Happens all the time on freeways that begin backing up. Does this work?
You're the one apparently witnessing this on a regular basis. You tell us.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yes, it works. It gives the car behind a few extra feet for braking, and avoids a collision which is no fun for either driver.
Well, I'm in the camp of better to be right and dead. It looks stupid and is probably against the law. Cant they just make sure the headrest is correctly set and brace for impact? At least that wouldn't be so noticeable.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Well, I'm in the camp of better to be right and dead. It looks stupid and is probably against the law. Cant they just make sure the headrest is correctly set and brace for impact? At least that wouldn't be so noticeable.
Sounds like you have a plan. Go for it.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:40 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Quote:

Having been rear ended a few times, the week or so of neck/back soreness would rather me NOT want to be rear-ended.

I've personally never veered out of the way of someone barreling down on me, but there have been a few times on the highway where someone is screeching to a halt behind me and veers to the left or right into the breakdown lane to avoid hitting me. It's kinda why i prefer to ride in the far left or far right lane in heavy traffic. Someone has a "bail-out" route. Unfortunately, i've witnessed a few people going way too fast occasionally take it.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:45 PM

148 posts, read 523,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Having been rear ended a few times, the week or so of neck/back soreness would rather me NOT want to be rear-ended.

I've personally never veered out of the way of someone barreling down on me, but there have been a few times on the highway where someone is screeching to a halt behind me and veers to the left or right into the breakdown lane to avoid hitting me. It's kinda why i prefer to ride in the far left or far right lane in heavy traffic. Someone has a "bail-out" route. Unfortunately, i've witnessed a few people going way too fast occasionally take it.
This is exactly why I won't veer over to give them a few extra feet... Just stay where I am and hope he stops in time or traffic moves.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
screeching to a halt behind me and veers to the left or right into the breakdown lane to avoid hitting me.
This is why I question the maneuver. Someone else needs that space. Maybe in all the commotion, that fool swinging out to avoid getting rear ended hits an emergency vehicle flying down the shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive