U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 1 day ago)

9,111 posts, read 6,773,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
How can anyone possibly go past the Lexus? Honestly they're by far the most refined automobiles known to man. They're meticulously refined and sophisticated with opulence and luxury.

Get the Lexus ISC, not only is it the epitome of luxury but you will also enjoy Lexus reliability and dependability. The ISC behaves like a coupe that is able to drop the top

Do yourself and everyone a big favor by removing the euro trash car brands from the list!
Those pics are very alluring. I am leaning towards the Lexus. It is definitely nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
If your buying a new, $50K luxury convertible... then what is the difference of a few pennies more a fill up with premium fuel or the price of an oil change? I doubt either would stop someone willing to spend $50K on a new, luxury item. If either of those will make or break the budget this kind of car may be out of your price range.

How do the two cost on a site like Edmunds or KBB in the True Cost to Own calculations?
It is not just pennies and the price of maintenance is a concern as I am fairly frugal. The price of premium is only one consideration among others. Granted, it is not the most important one.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
What about a BMW 435i / 428i convertible?
It is ok, although I prefer the styling on the Mercedes and Lexus.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:46 PM

10,232 posts, read 4,116,437 times
I know it's a little on the underside of what you are specifically looking for, but check out the MINI Coupe JCW. Super fun little car, easy to maintain, great fun and well equipt.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:08 PM

7,677 posts, read 24,979,385 times
Off the top of my head, these are the cars you should be considering for comparison shopping.

Lexus ISC
Mercedes C-class
Infiniti Q60
Audi A5
BMW 4-series

The other options I can think of are too expensive, too extreme, or too small to compete with those five. Out of my list, Mercedes has a long history of making the best convertible for being used as a convertible.. the wind turbulence is kept to a minimum inside so that the a/c, heater, and stereo are all usable even at highway speeds.. and they were doing that with '80s technology, so I can't imagine it's worse than that 3 decades later.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:30 PM

3,754 posts, read 9,530,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It is not just pennies and the price of maintenance is a concern as I am fairly frugal. The price of premium is only one consideration among others. Granted, it is not the most important one.
Your statement is very confusing.
One who is fairly frugal, does not buy a $50k luxury convertible .
Have you considered what depreciation will be on any of those vehicles?

If you insist on splurging on one of them, lease instead of buy. Then you have no maintenance to worry about, since I believe they all can be had with it included.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:01 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
You're looking to spend up to $50K on a car and worry about it requiring premium gas? That makes no sense. If you can afford the $50k you certainly can afford the extra couple of bucks a week in gas.
Exactly what I was thinking.

What's that old saying? If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times
I don't have the money to have cars like these, so I can only go by others' cars I've sat in or ridden in.

Having ridden in a couple of Mercedes little convertibles, I found them uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of. Other Mercedes I've been in at car shows I found to be similarly uncomfortable.

I've not been in a Lexus convertible, but all other Lexuses (Lexi?) I've been in have been uber comfortable. Nice cars. Most are reliable, per Consumer Reports. One of the most reliable "brands" in existence, I believe. I would love a Lexus. Not a convertible, though.

What is it about convertibles that people love? I've never cared for them. I hate the wind slapping my hair around and being blown away, and feeling the road too much, and the noise factor.

Jaguars break down a lot, is my impression of them. There are stats on that, though, to verify if that's true.

I like Mustangs, but they're not in the same class as Lexus and Mercedes, obviously. If you're looking to impress, it's Mercedes or Lexus. I'm not impressed by Jaguar. When I see someone in one, I think "fool." Going for show over quality. But that's just my impression of Jaguars.

Mercedes will give the impression you're wealthy. If you ARE wealthy, that's fine. If you're not, well, that's giving a false impression, and that's not necessarily in your favor. Lexus is a brand that is quality, and a pricier model may say wealthy, but most people won't know the models and will just think, someone who is comfortable financially but not necessarily wealthy.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,543,825 times
Personally, I'd just get a Camaro ZL1 convert and call it a day. Sure, it's not a luxury car, but it'll go 0-60 in under 4 seconds.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:21 AM

8,992 posts, read 14,192,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Then I would recommend some of the sights that compare true cost to own.

Still, doesn't make mush sense to me to be "frugal" about routine maintenance when shopping this kind of luxury item. When weighing in the total cost to operate one of these vehicles, the cost of routine maintenance or the little extra for premium fuel is practically a drop in the bucket.

Maybe a Volvo C70, with paid maintenance during the warranty period, would be more your speed. Plenty of frugality there with nothing out of pocket (although you may still be stuck with premium for the I5 turbo engine).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive