U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 06:11 AM

7,677 posts, read 24,979,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Then I would recommend some of the sights that compare true cost to own.

Still, doesn't make mush sense to me to be "frugal" about routine maintenance when shopping this kind of luxury item. When weighing in the total cost to operate one of these vehicles, the cost of routine maintenance or the little extra for premium fuel is practically a drop in the bucket.

Maybe a Volvo C70, with paid maintenance during the warranty period, would be more your speed. Plenty of frugality there with nothing out of pocket (although you may still be stuck with premium for the I5 turbo engine).
The C70 was discontinued in 2013, and by that time, it had gone virtually unchanged since 2006 and was an overpriced also-ran.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 06:13 AM

8,994 posts, read 14,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The C70 was discontinued in 2013, and by that time, it had gone virtually unchanged since 2006 and was an overpriced also-ran.
OOPS, sorry I had not heard it was discontinued. Just trying to think of something expensive to buy, but cheap to drive.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,222,794 times
OP you live in so Oc.. You already know what you want. Just go down to fletcher jones on jamboree and pick up a used 2010+ E350 cabriolet. Be done with it.

Get the extended warranty and enjoy.

Newport beach area is known to have the most mercedes at any stop light.
If you don't drive one, you look out of place.

If you live anywhere else, I d recommend the lexus

You can also pick me up, take me for a ride on 133

Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,820,134 times
I am surprised only one person mentioned the Audi A5 so far. If you like the drop-top with style and comfort but prefer to be a little frugal, this is definitely worth a look. Generally (across the brand) rated less expensive to maintain than the Lexus or the Mercedes and every Audi I have driven has been wonderfully comfortable and smooth.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:17 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,243,193 times
[quote=yowps3;37061091]How can anyone possibly go past the Lexus? Honestly they're by far the most refined automobiles known to man. They're meticulously refined and sophisticated with opulence and luxury.

Get the Lexus ISC, not only is it the epitome of luxury but you will also enjoy Lexus reliability and dependability. The ISC behaves like a coupe that is able to drop the top

Your a dealer, right?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:21 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,243,193 times
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Those pics are very alluring. I am leaning towards the Lexus. It is definitely nice.

Who says "alluring?" Another SoCal plant.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
What is it about convertibles that people love? I've never cared for them. I hate the wind slapping my hair around and being blown away, and feeling the road too much, and the noise factor.
That's EXACTLY why we love them. The sounds and smells of the open road, the wind in your hair, the visibility, etc.

There is nothing like a crisp autumn evening on a twisty valley road in a convertible sports car or convertible GT. Or cruising along a beautiful beach on a nice summer day. Convertible sports cars remind me of the classic days of motoring and motorsports:

Quote:
Jaguars break down a lot, is my impression of them. There are stats on that, though, to verify if that's true.

I'm not impressed by Jaguar. When I see someone in one, I think "fool." Going for show over quality. But that's just my impression of Jaguars.
Your opinion sucks, to be frank. I've loved my Jags, both classic and relatively modern. If I were rich, I'd have a '67 XKE, like my father in law used to have (he's had 3 of them), as they are classics and appreciating in value daily. But my short list for a car to buy next year is down to either a '01-02 Porsche Boxster S convertible or an '02-05 Jaguar XKR convertible. I had a modded Mustang GT convertible for a number of years:

and I think that the Jag would be a perfect replacement. Beautiful cars with about 400 hp stock, and actually quite reliable (other than the hydraulics for the top, but there's an inexpensive DIY fix for that now):

Old 10-30-2014, 10:59 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,464,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I have been tempted lately to buy a 4-seat convertible in the 35-50K range. I was comparing the Lexus to the Mercedes hard top convertible. In comparing the two, I noticed:
  • Lexus' design is more functional and the seats are more comfortable;
  • Both, sadly, take premium fuel only;
  • Mercedes wins in style; and
  • Mercedes maintenance fees frighten me.
Are Lexus maintenance costs significantly less?

In the everyone's opinion, is Infinity a better deal than either of the above?

I do not see any other cars in this class except the Jaguar, but that seems too expensive.

There is Volvo but I know little about about these cars, nor do they have much sex appeal to them. Does anyone know about Volvo maintenance costs, costs of parts, and need to use premium, etc?

I did consider a Mustang, and while fairly nice and cheaper, I am not thrilled with the styling. I prefer something a bit more rounded, not as aggressive looking. Camaro is a no go, just like Mazda Miata, Honda 2K, Audi TT etc.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Other than the four door Jeep Wrangler are there any other five seat convertibles? Seems stupid since Dads like Convertibles but only Dads with two or less kids can actually drive their family to the beach in one.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,464,891 times
I have owned several convertibles

1963 Dodge Dart GT Convetible
1967 Firebird Convertible
1975 450SL Convertible
1976 CJ7 Convertible
1988 Jeep Wrangler Convertible.

I want another one but it has to sit five. My Wrangler was very bumpy and top was really hard to put down so not interested in another one.

I am at point I dont want to fix cars anymore so would want a later model convertible in good shape. Anyhow know of five seat convertibles or what was last model year cars that were convertibles could fit five people.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,507,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
OOPS, sorry I had not heard it was discontinued. Just trying to think of something expensive to buy, but cheap to drive.
That is too bad! I have a 2011 C70; they updated the body that year. We love it. I haven't spent a penny on maintenance yet because we got their 5 year "safe and sound" thing when we bought it so all maintenance has been included. It does take premium fuel though.

If you're considering a used car, you could do a lot worse than the C70. I specifically wanted a hard top though, due to the weather and crime in Chicago, which is where we lived when we bought it. I was concerned that someone would rip through a soft top if the car was parked on the street (we had experienced several car break-ins when we lived in the city).

Anyway, we'll keep our C70 until it dies, which based on our experience so far, will not be for a very long time. It's very comfortable and fun to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive