U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:17 AM

8,992 posts, read 14,192,166 times

Advertisements

Why? Not everyone is perfect. (I am not excusing it... just saying. I knew someone who, due to a medical issue, had very little feeling in their feet. Didn't know they rode their brakes until the brake jobs started to become awfully frequent. They installed a light on their dash to illuminate with the brake lights to alert themselves to when they were riding the brake. The light pressure was not enough for them to "feel" it).

Like any other imperfect driver out there, just be careful and give them some space if they seem to be less skilled than you would prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:44 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,635,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Why? Not everyone is perfect. (I am not excusing it... just saying. I knew someone who, due to a medical issue, had very little feeling in their feet. Didn't know they rode their brakes until the brake jobs started to become awfully frequent. They installed a light on their dash to illuminate with the brake lights to alert themselves to when they were riding the brake. The light pressure was not enough for them to "feel" it).

Like any other imperfect driver out there, just be careful and give them some space if they seem to be less skilled than you would prefer.
Here in Florida on US 19 you take your life in your hand everyday. It is one of the most dangerous roads in America. Every day accidents from pending or tailgating and propel just walking in the road at nite with dark clothes on. Bunch of drunk and drug head drivers also. Like the old saying in Florida, come on vacation leave on probation.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 AM

10,819 posts, read 12,855,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Could also be a very sensitive brake light switch on the pedal. I have size 13 feet, and there's not a whole lot of room.. Sometimes the foot hitting the gas can also be slightly on the brake pedal and if it's a real sensitive brake switch.. Could cause them to come on.

Not enough pressure to actually be applying the brakes, just enough to turn the lights on.
Yea, I'm guessing Labonte nailed it.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:21 AM

14,298 posts, read 20,544,645 times
Drives me nuts!!!! This is how I got in my first accident. Woman in front of me kept riding her brakes, I was nervous and wanted to get away from her. Of course as soon as I go to change lanes, she put on her brakes for real. Luckily the accident was very minor, $4!!! Yup $4

Old 10-30-2014, 08:34 AM

148 posts, read 337,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Drives me nuts!!!! This is how I got in my first accident. Woman in front of me kept riding her brakes, I was nervous and wanted to get away from her. Of course as soon as I go to change lanes, she put on her brakes for real. Luckily the accident was very minor, $4!!! Yup $4
I really think some do this on purpose. I was behind someone years ago who was doing this 10 below the limit, not keeping a constant pace. So when I look over my left shoulder (checking my blind spot), she slams on her brakes. Literally was inches from hitting her, I always thought she was watching her rear view and timing it.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,395,755 times
It really could be a problem with their car. My wife's older Honda Civic had an issue with the brake pedal. When the pedal is up all the way, it touches this little plastic piece which touches the brake light switch. This little plastic piece keeps the brake lights from staying on by pushing a button on the switch. In her case, the plastic piece broke and the brake lights constantly stayed on because the switch wasn't being pushed. 3 dollars later, the piece was replaced and the brake lights functioned normally.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:33 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,837,055 times
Welcome to Birmingham. Breaking as they use the ON RAMP to a highway, at speed.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:07 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
It really could be a problem with their car. My wife's older Honda Civic had an issue with the brake pedal. When the pedal is up all the way, it touches this little plastic piece which touches the brake light switch. This little plastic piece keeps the brake lights from staying on by pushing a button on the switch. In her case, the plastic piece broke and the brake lights constantly stayed on because the switch wasn't being pushed. 3 dollars later, the piece was replaced and the brake lights functioned normally.
Exactly, but people here just love to jump to conclusions.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:51 PM

805 posts, read 730,197 times
no its sh!tty driving habbits. My father uses the gas with his right and brake with his left. everyone I know that drives like that and the most jerky drivers ever. couldn't brake smoothly if there life depended on it.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:59 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,505,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Two-footed drivers! Too bad cops won't pull them over and explain why how they drive affects other people behind them.
Yeah, I would guess it is a two-footed driver. They are more common than you'd think. I was complaining about someone doing this on our way to our in-laws' house only to learn that my mother-in-law is a two footed driver. Driving behind her confirms it; the breaks are on and she's accelerating at the same time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive