Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
a lot of cars with keyless entry illuminate the interior when you hit the unlock button, some luxury cars have lights under the outside mirrors to illuminate the exterior of the car.

The interior doesn't light up the ground around the car, and puddle lights on the mirrors don't light up the back area of the car, just in case there are obstacles or muggers hiding back there.

Do you guys think this stuff through before complaining about it or is it just typical knee jerk reaction to something that momentarily inconveniences you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:54 AM

148 posts, read 523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Well the developers who built the stores don't think so. And a motorcycle is a licensed motor vehicle just like a car.
It's more common down here on new construction (hence I suggested it, I like it). Even seen preference for plug in hybrids, expecting mothers, etc.

(No, I do not ride motorcycles)

Old 10-31-2014, 09:00 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
The interior doesn't light up the ground around the car, and puddle lights on the mirrors don't light up the back area of the car, just in case there are obstacles or muggers hiding back there.

Do you guys think this stuff through before complaining about it or is it just typical knee jerk reaction to something that momentarily inconveniences you?
Either way you look at it, GM's solution is either a bad idea or a good idea with awful execution. There is unnecessary risk with false backup warnings. I've managed to survive just fine without illuminating my cars back up lights every time I exit or enter the vehicle and I'm sure others can survive as well. If someone wants to rob you they will do it whether or not you have your reverse lights on because they will get you at knife or gun point and you're going to give up your wallet rather than trying to dissuade them with your reverse lights.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:20 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Either way you look at it, GM's solution is either a bad idea or a good idea with awful execution. There is unnecessary risk with false backup warnings. I've managed to survive just fine without illuminating my cars back up lights every time I exit or enter the vehicle and I'm sure others can survive as well. If someone wants to rob you they will do it whether or not you have your reverse lights on because they will get you at knife or gun point and you're going to give up your wallet rather than trying to dissuade them with your reverse lights.
What is the risk?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:23 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Our Equinox does this, and I can agree, it does kind of annoy me. First, it should use the daylight sensor and not turn them on during the day. Second, they should use all lights except for the backup lights IMO. Granted, white is best for illumination, but it is a bit much. Maybe just use the backup lights when you are approaching the car and unlock it, at night only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall-Florida View Post
Park in the back, avoid door dings, time looking for a spot, and a walk.
I always try to park away from others if possible. I usually drop my wife and kids off at the door, and then park in a special spot away from others. Either against a curb, giving the next space twice as much room to open their door, or far enough away that no one will (hopefully) park next to me. My wife hates it, but I tell her she only walked half the distance since I dropped her off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'll certainly give someone a pass if the lot is totally full.. So long as they're not sitting, blocking the row for more than a minute or two.
I'm guilty of waiting on cars, but only when the lot is totally full and I can't find a place that meets my preferred criteria. Some parking lots around me are totally filled during holidays, and sitting on a row to wait for someone to leave is the most efficient way for me to get a place. But I wait out of the lanes as much as I can, so two cars can still pass me by. It is rare that I do this, but some places it is unavoidable unless you just want to drive around the parking lot for 30 min. Someone will always be in front of you and grab that opening space!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Its better than turning into a parking space and finding a motorcycle, Miata, or Smart car in there. Thats the worst.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What is the risk?
A driver can panic if they think you're about to back up into them and in turn cause a rear end collision. Drivers can also end up backing up traffic because you've indicated that you're backing up and leaving the spot. There are many reasons and none of them are worth the false sense of security someone gets every time they flash their reverse lights in preparation for a crime that either won't happen or won't be prevented. Puddle lights on mirrors work just fine in illuminating the ground and most cars these days leave their headlights on for a few minutes after a car is turned off for additional illumination and neither of these alert drivers that you're backing up.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:26 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But given most of the herd are lazy slobs these days, that extra 15 seconds is too much walking for them or too much extra power drain on their fatso-mobile. I think our kind are still safe.
Something I am seeing of late is the fattie carts reserved for those who can't walk around and shop left out in the parking lot along with the stray carts too many people are too lazy to push back to the store or one of the cart holding pens. If you had the presence of mind and wherewithall to push the cart out to your car, why couldn't you push it back? If you had to ride the fattie cart out to your car, how did you get into the store? I also see the kiddeie carts out in lots as well. Damn, I can't stand woefully lazy people.

I push one or two to the store with me.

Every store needs to adopt Aldi's method of controlling shopping carts. To get a shpping cart there one must insert a quarter into a little slot on the cart to release a locked chain attached to the cart before it. When done with the cart you take it back, insert the chain ito it's little recepticle and get your quarter back.
I give the cart away at times.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:37 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
I'm guilty of waiting on cars, but only when the lot is totally full and I can't find a place that meets my preferred criteria. Some parking lots around me are totally filled during holidays, and sitting on a row to wait for someone to leave is the most efficient way for me to get a place. But I wait out of the lanes as much as I can, so two cars can still pass me by. It is rare that I do this, but some places it is unavoidable unless you just want to drive around the parking lot for 30 min. Someone will always be in front of you and grab that opening space!
There's the difference.. You've actually made a conscious effort to consider others.. Too many don't.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Yet you went out of your way to post on this thread.

As for the OP, I've also fallen for this. You turn down a lane and see the reverse lights on a car. You stop and wait.....and wait... then the lights go off... wait a few seconds more.. pull forward and see that there isn't anybody in the car. I do understand why they do this though. I like the idea of brightening up the area around your vehicle when locking or unlocking your vehicle.
Did you ever at any point consider that since the brake lights are not illuminated, that the vehicle simply is not going to move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive