Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:01 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times

Advertisements

Big deal man oh man some people have to much time on their hand. Get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 PM

148 posts, read 523,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
This could be implied to many posters on this or any forum.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:14 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Yet you went out of your way to post on this thread.

As for the OP, I've also fallen for this. You turn down a lane and see the reverse lights on a car. You stop and wait.....and wait... then the lights go off... wait a few seconds more.. pull forward and see that there isn't anybody in the car. I do understand why they do this though. I like the idea of brightening up the area around your vehicle when locking or unlocking your vehicle.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:40 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I would appreciate it if you did not encourage people to do this. A few others and myself sincerely enjoy not dealing with the "herd" at the front of the parking lot, we like our far away open space and the extra 15 seconds of exercise.
But given most of the herd are lazy slobs these days, that extra 15 seconds is too much walking for them or too much extra power drain on their fatso-mobile. I think our kind are still safe.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall-Florida View Post
Park in the back, avoid door dings, time looking for a spot, and a walk.

We always park as far out as possible for the reasons you listed and it doesn't hurt either of us to get the extra walk in, the rest is a bonus.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:47 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
It is a terrible design decision, particularly for vehicles in dense areas where parking is difficult to find. I've run across this many times and end up backing up traffic behind me for a vehicle that isn't actually leaving.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:52 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I would appreciate it if you did not encourage people to do this. A few others and myself sincerely enjoy not dealing with the "herd" at the front of the parking lot, we like our far away open space and the extra 15 seconds of exercise.
I'd appreciate it if a-holes wouldn't sit waiting when they see someone walking up to their car with a shopping cart that they have to unload and then sit there and wait for them to finish loading, return the cart to the corral, put their kids into car seats, get into the car, adjust all their mirrors and finally leave the parking space. Completely blocking all the other cars in the row behind them because they wanted to get a close parking spot.

I actually had someone do this last Christmas. Saw me loading the car and just sat waiting. Ticked me off so much that I went back towards the store after loading the car just so they could be as ticked off as they made me and everyone behind them.

It's one thing if someone is there with the reverse lights on.. Totally another if they're loading.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:11 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'd appreciate it if a-holes wouldn't sit waiting when they see someone walking up to their car with a shopping cart that they have to unload and then sit there and wait for them to finish loading, return the cart to the corral, put their kids into car seats, get into the car, adjust all their mirrors and finally leave the parking space. Completely blocking all the other cars in the row behind them because they wanted to get a close parking spot.

I actually had someone do this last Christmas. Saw me loading the car and just sat waiting. Ticked me off so much that I went back towards the store after loading the car just so they could be as ticked off as they made me and everyone behind them.

It's one thing if someone is there with the reverse lights on.. Totally another if they're loading.
This will depend on traffic/parking density but there are many shopping places in my area that are absolutely packed at certain times (particularly on Sundays). During these times you basically see nothing but 20+ cars driving around or sitting parked waiting for a spot to open up. Following people to their car is standard practice in this case. If I see that a parking lot is particularly busy and people are obviously waiting for a space I won't be one of the jerks who sits around waiting to get comfortable, adjust my gps/radio, make a phone call, etc. I leave the immediate parking area and pull away where it's far less busy to do whatever time consuming thing I need to do because it's the decent thing to do and I won't sit there and gloat about being selfish.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:24 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
This will depend on traffic/parking density but there are many shopping places in my area that are absolutely packed at certain times (particularly on Sundays). During these times you basically see nothing but 20+ cars driving around or sitting parked waiting for a spot to open up. Following people to their car is standard practice in this case. If I see that a parking lot is particularly busy and people are obviously waiting for a space I won't be one of the jerks who sits around waiting to get comfortable, adjust my gps/radio, make a phone call, etc. I leave the immediate parking area and pull away where it's far less busy to do whatever time consuming thing I need to do because it's the decent thing to do and I won't sit there and gloat about being selfish.
Parking lot is full.. Different story. Where I generally see it is at Walmart, which never has a full parking lot. Sure, it can be a very busy parking lot, and you might have to walk for a whole minute if you park at the back end of it.. But there's spaces available.

I'll certainly give someone a pass if the lot is totally full.. So long as they're not sitting, blocking the row for more than a minute or two.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:46 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
I had some drunk old man try to fight me in a parking lot because he said he was "waiting" for a spot my Wife took, I wasn't even driving. As a motorcycle/bicycle rider, I don't do mall style parking lots too often ~ Is this some new thing you have to do in parking lots now? Look around for people who are waiting for spots?
If so, I cry for humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive