U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:25 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,787,764 times

Advertisements

My 2003 has 82,000 miles on it (I fly commercially more than drive). I just go by the miles.

[My Toyota Matrix runs well just like the first day i drove it. I got my first dent in it back in 2012 - my fault. Lucky for me (and I'm not joking) a young gal accidently sideswiped a few cars, including mine. Her car hit in the area right over the dent I made myself. Got the body shop work and no nickel out of me. Looks like a 2004 Matrix (one dime-sized dimple from a door ding).]

I love cars, and high performance cars. I love large dogs, and I love cats. But I let others own them. I can enjoy a neighbor's dog by petting the dog. I can enjoy the Maserati in the next lane and admire its fine lines far more than its driver can. The driver does not see much of the lines, only the interior and certainly enjoys a few performance bursts on the 9 mile commute to work. Somehow I get enjoyment that my Vanguard account returned an annual gain of 9.2% over the last ten years. There is an opportunity cost of having a pretentious piece of steel and fiberglass around your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,717,072 times
Follow the owner's manual.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:26 PM

11,059 posts, read 11,465,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i just got a brand new 2015 mazda. i'm use to doing my first oil change at 1k miles then every 3-4k after that. the dealer guy said once every 5-7k (with the first oil change being at 5k) with full synthetic is good enough.

is he right? are modern day engines that advanced and good now?
Yes, engine materials have advanced a lot, but the reason you can go 5-7k on synthetic oils is that lubricant technology is fabulous nowadays. The oil doesn't break down, and multi-visc oils require far fewer long chain polymers that caused sludge in the past. As always though, the oil change intervals depend on your driving habits. Lots of short trip in-town driving and you should change oil by the calendar, not by mileage. If you drive that way you should avoid ester synthetics entirely, because they break down and become corrosive in the presence of water. Short trip cars sometimes require an oil change just to get the water out of the crank case.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:57 PM

12,674 posts, read 12,085,149 times
Dang people, do some of you all really decide that there is some point/year in your life that you decide you will never change from then on? It is just amazing how some people absolutely do not feel the need to update parts of their lives with new info, for example in this case, oil changes. Did some of you decide in 1982 and go "well, this is the year I will refuse any and all new information regarding cars!"?

First, what does the owners manual say? You should probably go by that. When you got the car, that was not the first time the engine was started and the oil was changed, that was all done before. Oil and filtering tech has advanced greatly, and the tech for machining the engine components have improved greatly as well. Some people still think everything is the 350 Chevy they just threw together in their Nova, so must treat it that way.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:04 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,608,284 times
Initial change at 1000 and after that at 3000 miles was a great idea in 1950, but it's wasting money today. Follow the dealers advice,and that stated in your manual.
Both engines and oils have made great advances and you can easily go 5-7k miles on an oil change without any fear. That engine will still be preforming great years after you sell the car.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:44 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,596,453 times
I would do whatever the owner's manual says... It's simple, follow your owner's manual!

Old 11-02-2014, 05:41 AM

862 posts, read 2,425,498 times
Follow the maintenance schedule. I have my Mazda's oil changed every 6 months since it says every 7500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:55 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,138,522 times
The recommended oil change interval for my VW TDI is every 10k miles. The first 3 are covered under warranty.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:16 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,060,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
My 2003 has 82,000 miles on it (I fly commercially more than drive). I just go by the miles.

[My Toyota Matrix runs well just like the first day i drove it. I got my first dent in it back in 2012 - my fault. Lucky for me (and I'm not joking) a young gal accidently sideswiped a few cars, including mine. Her car hit in the area right over the dent I made myself. Got the body shop work and no nickel out of me. Looks like a 2004 Matrix (one dime-sized dimple from a door ding).]

I love cars, and high performance cars. I love large dogs, and I love cats. But I let others own them. I can enjoy a neighbor's dog by petting the dog. I can enjoy the Maserati in the next lane and admire its fine lines far more than its driver can. The driver does not see much of the lines, only the interior and certainly enjoys a few performance bursts on the 9 mile commute to work. Somehow I get enjoyment that my Vanguard account returned an annual gain of 9.2% over the last ten years. There is an opportunity cost of having a pretentious piece of steel and fiberglass around your body.
Huh?

Old 11-02-2014, 10:34 AM

48 posts, read 69,781 times
From what the owners manual says about my luxurious 2014 Ford Fiesta, it will tell me everything about anything the car requires at the appropriate time.

I looked under the hood when I bought the car and that was the last time.

I get the feeling you people don't trust the auto companies.

Tens of millions of recalls is just an anomaly.

Ford even sent me $250. because they accidentally overlooked an error in mileage estimates for my car.

So, when that sweet little voice announces it's time for an oil change, so shall it be.

I cheated on her and looked in the manual which states 10,000. miles for the first oil change.

It's Fords unlimited warranty so what do I care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or