U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,789 times

Advertisements

if you're using synthetic oil he is right should only change every 5000 miles
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 11:12 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,903,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Dang people, do some of you all really decide that there is some point/year in your life that you decide you will never change from then on? It is just amazing how some people absolutely do not feel the need to update parts of their lives with new info, for example in this case, oil changes. Did some of you decide in 1982 and go "well, this is the year I will refuse any and all new information regarding cars!"?

First, what does the owners manual say? You should probably go by that. When you got the car, that was not the first time the engine was started and the oil was changed, that was all done before. Oil and filtering tech has advanced greatly, and the tech for machining the engine components have improved greatly as well. Some people still think everything is the 350 Chevy they just threw together in their Nova, so must treat it that way.

There really is a lot of antiquated advice given here. It still amazes me how many people still swear by the 3,000 mile oil change.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 AM

959 posts, read 1,012,563 times
i just realized with all this said, the price is still relatively the same. price of conventional oil change every 3k = synthetic oil change every 6k

Old 11-02-2014, 12:15 PM

38,060 posts, read 15,286,103 times
Follow whatever is in your owners manual. Anything more is a waste of money.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:02 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,101,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall-Florida View Post
Whats does your owners manual say?
Why does anybody even ask these question? Do they think somebody knows more than the engineers that wrote the manual?

OP, just do whatever the manual states. Ignore anything a dealer told you.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:24 PM

885 posts, read 1,952,703 times
Another vote for the 5K and use the dealer.
I think it would be smart to get in the habit of checking the oil 1/2 to your 5K service.
Enjoy that new car.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:32 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,818,152 times
The unspoken issue that has been brought to light is that most buyers never crack open the owners manual. It could be written in Greek and they wouldn't know since it only occupies space in that thing over there in front of the passenger.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:47 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,006,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i just got a brand new 2015 mazda. i'm use to doing my first oil change at 1k miles then every 3-4k after that. the dealer guy said once every 5-7k (with the first oil change being at 5k) with full synthetic is good enough.

is he right? are modern day engines that advanced and good now?
Beating a dead horse here but, 1K, 3K, and then 6K ~ 1K after that......you got the RIGHT oil correct...FULL synthetic....do that and you won't have a problem....my 99 Camry has 215K and is STILL going strong....full synthetic since day one...NO sludge.

Expensive? Not really, what's your time worth? If you believe in the standard 3K interval with conventional motor oils, changing every 6K with synthetic is a no-brainer. While the oil change can go further, at least at 6K you offset the cost (roughly twice of a conventional change) and therefore, spend no more than if using conventional oil.

You do, however, save the time. Average of 2 oil changes a year versus 4. What's your time worth? Now, the truth be told, unless you drive in harsh conditions (long hours, mostly city) then you can easily extend that to 9K (some manuals say 15K...I wouldn't do it, too much chance of a sludge issue). All of that aside, synthetic is FAR superior to conventional motor oils in it's lubricity and heat dissipation abilities. The engine will last considerably longer.

Now, if you don't KEEP a car for a long time (Excess of 5-10 years) then it's somewhat moot so long as you change regularly. If you are going to flip it within 5 years? Conventional is fine and let it run 5K between changes...your car won't blow up and it will run fine. Christ, you are lucky to see people change their oil every 10K nowadays.....

it's your call and you have to ask yourself how important is your car to you. There are folks who lease cars and put absolutely as little as they can because they will dump it before the accelerated wear becomes apparent. Said another way, the new engine can typically take a lot of abuse before oil starts to burn or tapping of valves becomes apparent. Leases of 24-36 months dictate you will have to abide by the manual but, people usually do the minimum...if the manual says 15K, believe me, the thing won't see an oil change until then if at all for awhile afterwards.

It's a perverse logic but, looking at it from an Excel point of view, they may be right. Why pour money into a car under warranty that you are going to get rid of, right? Accelerated wear clauses in the lease magically disappear if you are going to lease again so for that audience, expect the level of car abuse to continue.

I hold onto my cars and squeeeeeeeeze every bit of life out of them. This Camry was no different. Nor was the one before it. If you are "that guy" then change your oil, use synthetic day one, you won't regret the expense. To the other writer's point, oil changes are the cheapest PM (Preventative Maintenance) you can do for a car. Keeping it? Do them regularly. I factored the cost of replacing a car 3 times and would now be on my fourth over the life of this one. Based on that, the savings alone on depreciation would have been enough, typically, to have bought my car over, for free. Subtract maintenance and repairs over 15 years and I would probably drop the savings by 25%, however, add the insurance savings, car tag annuals and perhaps that 25% is reduced by 10-15%?

Net net? I saved overall but, it takes a different breed to look at a car like an appliance and less like a symbol of who we are. No applause, I get tired of me and the car too. But, I never, ever get tired of the savings....and, for the record, I can STILL get 3-4K for this car, 15 years and 215,000 miles later....lease? Nope, you just rent.....flip? Nope, you just take the bad end of the depreciation.....

Think it through, know who YOU really are and the rest will fall into place. Good luck and enjoy your new car....

Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 PM

12,627 posts, read 12,065,272 times
"it takes a different breed to look at a car like an appliance and less like a symbol of who we are."

No, it just takes a person who thinks of a car like this, that is all, no different breed or anything. Also, a person can very much enjoy cars and keep them for a long time, not unusual at all, some people keep them for decades.

"But, I never, ever get tired of the savings"

Did it ever occur to you part of the motivation people have to make more money is, to buy nice cars? People make money for a reason, to not only live, but to enjoy, and a car satisfies that enjoyment for many people.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,221,661 times
You all debating about a 25 dollar oil change on a Mazda?

If you had to ask then, Just do it, for your peace of mind and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or