U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:29 AM

12,138 posts, read 8,117,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Don't get me wrong, Subarus are great, but they are are not a car to buy used. They command such high resale value, 8k is going to get a nicer Nissan/Ford/GMC/Etc than it is a Subaru.

Maybe a 3rd/4th Gen Ford Explorer would be a good edition to the list.

You can buy a used Subaru for less then $5,000. We paid $1,800 for ours & no problems so far & it had over 250,000 miles on it.

As far as the snow tires we have all season tires & we just had our first snow, the all season tires had no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 05:34 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,584,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I'm just here to re-emphasize the importance of tires. For experience, I can tell you that even true 4wd (truck or SUV with a transfer case) won't be good in the snow if the tires are bad. I have a 4wd truck that will actually be unable to get out of the driveway because it's got cheapo all-season tires on it. Meanwhile, my car with snow tires drives off like it's nothing.
^^^^yes^^^^

I know you are right from experience living in snow country, but a lot of people want to swear by their 4x4 or expensive AWD system no matter what. I love 4x4's as I do off-roading, but a small FWD car with reliable cold-weather ignition system and new snow tires will do just as awesome in most winter conditions.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:49 AM

6,704 posts, read 4,173,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
You can buy a used Subaru for less then $5,000. We paid $1,800 for ours & no problems so far & it had over 250,000 miles on it.
Yes, but you apparently live in North Carolina. Chances are the OP would pay a lot more in Michigan, where Subarus are in demand. We drove all the way to Georgia to buy our last Forester, because the price was about $3000 less than what I would have paid in Minnesota. The dealer said, "I can't understand it. I'm from Colorado, and I love Subarus. I got a great deal on this at an auction, and figured it'd fly off the lot. But nobody down here seems interested in them."

He was glad to finally get rid of it, and we were glad to get a steal of a deal on the best snow and ice car I've ever driven in my life. One problem with Subarus is that in the snow belt, a used one tends to be expensive because there are a lot of people who want them and it's a seller's market. But if you shop around, you can sometimes still get a deal, and for my money they're worth whatever the market demands.

Personally, I've never been a fan of 4wd trucks, which a few people have mentioned. Not enough weight on the rear wheels, and while that isn't a problem most of the time, in a situation where it is a problem, it tends to become a problem very suddenly. You can get around that by throwing sand bags or something in the back, but with my Subaru, I don't have to mess around with any of that. It's already perfectly balanced.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 11-04-2014 at 05:58 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 06:28 AM

12,138 posts, read 8,117,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Yes, but you apparently live in North Carolina. Chances are the OP would pay a lot more in Michigan, where Subarus are in demand.

You can't turn your head without looking at least 8-10 Subaru's here in Asheville. They are all over the place. With winters here even if we don't get snow it still gets wet & icy enough, even in the summers where people go hiking & such they are still popular to take off road.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:07 AM

2,737 posts, read 4,442,388 times
Audi

Old 11-04-2014, 07:23 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,346,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Audi
For 8K the Op would be looking at the B5 platform employs First Gen Audi A4 and for that price and a B5.5 platform 2001-2005 Passat with 4motion AWD would be a better and newer bang for the buck in the $8K Range IMO

Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 AM

672 posts, read 583,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I'm just here to re-emphasize the importance of tires. For experience, I can tell you that even true 4wd (truck or SUV with a transfer case) won't be good in the snow if the tires are bad. I have a 4wd truck that will actually be unable to get out of the driveway because it's got cheapo all-season tires on it. Meanwhile, my car with snow tires drives off like it's nothing.

bought my Toyota FJ new. The OE Dunlop tires were total garbage, as a result, the FJ couldn't get out of it's own way on wet pavement. Changed out to the best ATs that I could afford, made a massive difference. Even brand new tires, when put onto a vehicle to boost MPG, can be a waste of rubber. I now have a more aggressive tread on, the tires are alost an MT type, rated for snow, and it's a perfect match.

If one puts good snow tires on, one should expect a decrease in MPG. Better traction = lower MPG.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:07 AM

865 posts, read 1,451,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
^^^^yes^^^^

I know you are right from experience living in snow country, but a lot of people want to swear by their 4x4 or expensive AWD system no matter what. I love 4x4's as I do off-roading, but a small FWD car with reliable cold-weather ignition system and new snow tires will do just as awesome in most winter conditions.

Unless we get 3 or 4 feet of snow, I leave my lifted Jeep at home. My FWD car with snow tires is perfectly capable of passing AWD and 4x4 that are not properly equipped!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:59 PM

9,511 posts, read 14,306,716 times
The most popular awd in Maine is the Subaru Forester. It has higher ground clearance and volume than the Outback.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:05 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,550,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post

As far as the snow tires we have all season tires & we just had our first snow, the all season tires had no problems.
I own a Subaru as well and bought it new. They're great cars.

It sounds like you got a good deal, but personally I wouldn't buy an $1800 car. Especially if it's an older one with headgasket issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive